Daniel Ewing to Russia

On the face of it, this seems like a good move, as he will get more PT and some high level experience. But I wonder how many players have returned to the league from exile in Siberia (so to speak). Anyway, it has to be better than the Development League.

Trajan Langdon seems to have done quite well there. Frankly I wouldn't want to be there for any reason, but I'm not D.E. Hopefully neither is interested in politics.

Until we know what the terms of the contract are, we won't know. I do think that the money he makes in Russia is after taxes and living expenses, however.

I believe Ewing will get at least 1.000.000$ per year in Russia. Langdon should make about 2.000.000$.
    CSKA Moscow has signed Siskauskas, a member of the Lithuanian national team, for more than 3.000.000$ per year. There is no salary cap in Europe and now Moscow seems to be the "paradise" for International basketball players.

Quote Originally Posted by italiancrazie View Post
    I believe Ewing will get at least 1.000.000$ per year in Russia. Langdon should make about 2.000.000$.
    CSKA Moscow has signed Siskauskas, a member of the Lithuanian national team, for more than 3.000.000$ per year. There is no salary cap in Europe and now Moscow seems to be the "paradise" for International basketball players.
    I thought Benetton Treviso and Maccabi Tel Aviv were.

In regard to cost of living, availability of "stuff", etc, how does $1 million per year compare to the same amount in major US cities? I am guessing it works out to less, but I really have no clue. Anybody knowledgeable about this?

Cost of life in Russia

I recently returned from living in Moscow for 5 years. Housing costs are extremely high, so unless DE's housing is covered (which is often the case for expats) $1M is worth less in Russia. Other than housing, living costs are probably similar to NY. DE's travel expenses will also increase because he will want to leave often.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I forget which publication does it, but Moscow has been deemed the most expensive city in the world to live in. Just to give you an idea of how the money might translate. I'm not recalling the metrics used, but there is a lot of money going around Moscow these days.

That's amazing. When I was stationed in Europe in the late 80s/early 90s Moscow was famous as a place where you could buy vodka for pennies, fur coats for a few bucks, exchange a pair of old jeans for a Russian tanker watch, etc.

Shammond Williams played several years in the former Soviet republic of Georgia, even became a citizen so he could play on their national team, before returning to the NBA last season as a sub for the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    I forget which publication does it, but Moscow has been deemed the most expensive city in the world to live in. Just to give you an idea of how the money might translate. I'm not recalling the metrics used, but there is a lot of money going around Moscow these days.
    moscow is the most expensive:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/15/pf/m...ties/index.htm

Ewing

I'd say that at least one of my top 3 favorite Duke players is Daniel Ewing. I always loved his clutch play and ability to hit the big shot (besides a few times his senior year i.e. @VTech & @UNC .)

I know his PG abilities aren't that great at all, but I thought there would be quite a few places around the league that could have used Ewing's services as the (at best) secondary or tertiary lead guard. I personally didn't think he performed all that badly at the PG spot when Shaun Livingston went down with the injury and Sam Cassell was aching. In one of the later games of the season, he actually lead the Clippers to a win against Duhon, Deng, and the Bulls by hitting a big three in the late moments of the game. Just by thinking of some teams in need of some backcourt help the Celtics come to mind (Since Delonte West is gone and Telfair all but gone). Also the Bobcats (In my mind, there is no one but Ray Felton, as Brevin Knight was waived and Derek Anderson as well as Jeff McInnis are both FreeAgents.) Cleveland also comes to mind, but Daniel Gibson might already fill Ewing's role a bit and then some. Also the Pacers as Darrell Armstrong is almost 40 (!), and Keith McLeod is a free agent.

I guess Ewing and his agent have been over all of this and more, and obviously no one was interested. So I guess I just wish him luck in Russia.
    But what do you guys think about all of the teams listed above as well as all those that I didn't name?