View Poll Results: How old are you and what do you think of the gray unis?

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm 30 or younger and love the gray unis

13 4.28%
  • I'm 30 or younger and hate the gray unis

39 12.83%
  • I'm 30 or younger and don't care

25 8.22%
  • I'm 31 or older and love the gray unis

14 4.61%
  • I'm 31 or older and hate the gray unis

176 57.89%
  • I'm 31 or older and don't care

37 12.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The whole Logan's Run aspect of this has me nervous.

(And if you get the reference, you should start getting your jump bag ready to go. I'm outta here.)
    Carousel! Carousel!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

How much to get my law firm's logo on the shirts for a game?

ESPN conference game, preferable.
    Well, if your law firm a) has the type of brand equity with young athletes that Nike does and b) has negotiated an exclusive merchandising agreement with the program, I'd say you could start by promoting and supporting the program very generously for a few decades. Then, if your law firm can design a once-a-season chance of pace that the players and recruits think is cool, I'd say that could be a reasonable discussion.

I understand folks being upset at the evolution of our uniforms in general, I just don't get why a one-time alternate uniform is a big deal. Especially compared to what they currently look like for the other 35-40 games...

Booooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Well, if your law firm a) has the type of brand equity with young athletes that Nike does and b) has negotiated an exclusive merchandising agreement with the program, I'd say you could start by promoting and supporting the program very generously for a few decades. Then, if your law firm can design a once-a-season chance of pace that the players and recruits think is cool, I'd say that could be a reasonable discussion.

I understand folks being upset at the evolution of our uniforms in general, I just don't get why a one-time alternate uniform is a big deal. Especially compared to what they currently look like for the other 35-40 games...
    There is a famous story about Winston Churchill. At a party, he approached a woman and asked if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. "Well," said the young lady, "for that kind of money I suspect I would."

"Would you do it for a shilling?" asked Winston.

"Well, sir," exclaimed the woman, "I am not that kind of girl!"

Churchill did not miss a beat. "Madam, we ascertained that you were that kind of girl with the first question. All we are dickering over is price."

Is this any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Burn them, please.
    They're not witches.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

There is a famous story about Winston Churchill. At a party, he approached a woman and asked if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. "Well," said the young lady, "for that kind of money I suspect I would."

"Would you do it for a shilling?" asked Winston.

"Well, sir," exclaimed the woman, "I am not that kind of girl!"

Churchill did not miss a beat. "Madam, we ascertained that you were that kind of girl with the first question. All we are dickering over is price."

Is this any different?
    I thought that was a Groucho Marx story from You Bet Your Life?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Heel fans must have loved them because you couldn't read the name, number or team from a distance.

For the record, I voted over 31/hate gray.

But I'm not sure my demographic information is useful because a bunch of us, undergrads, 20, 21, 22 at the time hated the black unis when they debuted in 1996-97.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    They're not witches.
    Do they float?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's been my understanding that school colors are intended to identify a school, be part of a school's identity, maybe a holdover from the historic days of the battlefield. I look forward to and enjoy innovation which amplifies our school's identity and image. When the fare presented makes Duke look like somebody else or has an overly profit seeking quality, I don't find it attractive.

We have a winner, I believe. Well said, Janet.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    For the record, I voted over 31/hate gray.

But I'm not sure my demographic information is useful because a bunch of us, undergrads, 20, 21, 22 at the time hated the black unis when they debuted in 1996-97.

Do they float?
    Who are you who are so wise in the way of science?

And yeah, DiBD nailed it as usual.

I don't love them, but they're fine. Needs some tweaks--I would make the numbers Blue or something.

Don't feel passionate one way or the other, but I think the Black ones looked good as our alternates. Fine with it for a 1 time thing so Nike can sell more jerseys. We did the same with a throwback version my junior or senior year. It looked cool, and I bought one

I voted over/hate. It was fine for one time but I want Duke on the front - not Blue Devils and would like a blue closer to the correct blue. The numbers were a bit hard to read - a darker blue outline might help with that issue.

Concept v. Execution

I'm 39 (Class of '94). I didnt like the uniforms, but my issues were with the execution, not the concept. I have no problem with the idea of a Platinum color for the alternate uniform. As others have noted, the end look was way too modern. They used the wrong color blue for starters (or the blue they used appeared lighter on grey instead of white). Also, didnt like the numbers issue, and the entire idea of having the championship season on the back got lost in the mix.

Do college teams ever wear "throwback" / "turn back the clock" jerseys, like many pro sports teams now do? I don't think I've ever seen it done in college, and I certainly think it would be a fun promotion, if less flashy. Nike could still play up the advertising/dominance-over-Under-Armour angles if they wished.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I understand folks being upset at the evolution of our uniforms in general, I just don't get why a one-time alternate uniform is a big deal.
    To me, the problem isn't the idea of one-shot uniforms that Nike can sell at a premium. Rather, the central issue is whether or not these particular uniforms suck. I answer in the affirmative. Didn't love the black uniforms, but they beat the hell of these.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Do college teams ever wear "throwback" / "turn back the clock" jerseys, like many pro sports teams now do? I don't think I've ever seen it done in college, and I certainly think it would be a fun promotion, if less flashy. Nike could still play up the advertising/dominance-over-Under-Armour angles if they wished.
    Oooh, oooh. Throw back short shorts. They'd sell like hotcakes.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    4272-Capelshot-180x135.jpg

To me, nothing is worse than the hideous uni's from the forgettable 94-95 season. Home and road were gawd awful. Hated the blue shoulder patches.

I'm 35 and not against uniform changes generally speaking. However, those grays were horrendous. Gray jerseys could work if you took our black jerseys and replaced black with a light gray.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    We should know who we are. Instead we are letting Nike tell us who we should be.
    Really? Duke, Coach K, and everyone in the marketing industry would say that Duke is getting a great deal with Nike ELITE. So what if we have to cater to Nike's innovation once a year? Guarantee that Nike's support (and ton of free stuff) trumps wearing a grey, recycled-material jersey once a year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Really? Duke, Coach K, and everyone in the marketing industry would say that Duke is getting a great deal with Nike ELITE. So what if we have to cater to Nike's innovation once a year? Guarantee that Nike's support (and ton of free stuff) trumps wearing a grey, recycled-material jersey once a year.
    Coach K talked about the uniforms at the end of this weeks program. He brought up how all the sports benefit from the great revenue source that is Nike.