View Poll Results: How old are you and what do you think of the gray unis?

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm 30 or younger and love the gray unis

13 4.28%
  • I'm 30 or younger and hate the gray unis

39 12.83%
  • I'm 30 or younger and don't care

25 8.22%
  • I'm 31 or older and love the gray unis

14 4.61%
  • I'm 31 or older and hate the gray unis

176 57.89%
  • I'm 31 or older and don't care

37 12.17%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Poll: Gray Unis and Grumpy Geezers

There is a hypothesis that the young'uns, with eyes and hearts open to new ideas and experiences, free of old biases, love the gray unis. The old fogeys, resistant to change and fossilized in thought, can't understand how Duke wound up wearing Georgetown's unis. Let's see what the numbers say! Vote early and vote often!! Poll-skew away!!
    Last edited by Turk; 02-11-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    "Quality is not an option!"

I'd only have a problem if they were a regular alternate or something. If it's just a one game thing, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned...

Although I thought the "rise as one" thing ten minutes before tipoff was pretty dumb. Everyone stood up, and the Nike promo banner came up, and everyone was like... so what did we rise for, exactly?

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA
    What I object to is the implication in the title of the thread that anyone over 30 is a "grumpy geezer."

As a proud member of the class of '71 and therefore more than twice the age of any 30-year old (do the math) I don't feel anywhere near "geezerhood"...although I do feel a little grumpy just thinking about it.

And BTW, I hated the uniform colors even though my login name is,

Grey Devil

Tradition is not the problem. They make us look like we play for Georgetown and you can't see the numbers.

But we can all agree that they are better than the black alternates

Taste has no age requirement.

And no, the black uniforms BLOW THEM AWAY. COMPLETELY BLOW THEM AWAY.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Tradition is not the problem. They make us look like we play for Georgetown and you can't see the numbers.
    This is my biggest problem. Isn't contrast one of the basic elements of good design?

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    But we can all agree that they are better than the black alternates
    No, we can't. Not only am I a traditonalist, I like the name on the front: DUKE. Not BLUE DEVILS. I like to be able to read the numbers--and the names on the back, if I have to, though by this stage of the season, I recognize the top seven players simply by their body type. I'm not certain about them after Hairston, so a number or a name helps; but, I can't see either on these grays.

Today, the Arizona Wildcats also wore Nike grays. On the front it said: ZONA. Huh? That's worse than BLUE DEVILS. ZONA isn't even a nickname; it's chat room slang. College teams need their official name on the front; something that is traditional to the institution (okay, STATE without a modifier might be vague). Well, maybe I could stomach WHITE PHANTOMS on the front of the UNC jerseys, but that would simply be my personal tweaking of the rivalry. Even TAR HEELS would seem wrong.

Nike is messing with the holy. And they are doing it to sell gear. I say 'Throw them out of the temple!' They should cease and desist!

My point is that we seem to play well in the gray jerseys. We invariably play bad in the blacks. I care a lot more about winning than how we look when we play.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    My point is that we seem to play well in the gray jerseys. We invariably play bad in the blacks. I care a lot more about winning than how we look when we play.
    You're basing this on a sample size of one game?

If the numbers and names were blue, I think I would actually like them. Really. But now, there isn't nearly enough contrast and they're really hard to read.

Sorry... It's UGLY... And I HATE them. Win or lose. Nike is getting like AT&T and all the others

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    No, we can't. Not only am I a traditonalist, I like the name on the front: DUKE. Not BLUE DEVILS. I like to be able to read the numbers--and the names on the back, if I have to, though by this stage of the season, I recognize the top seven players simply by their body type. I'm not certain about them after Hairston, so a number or a name helps; but, I can't see either on these grays.

Today, the Arizona Wildcats also wore Nike grays. On the front it said: ZONA. Huh? That's worse than BLUE DEVILS. ZONA isn't even a nickname; it's chat room slang. College teams need their official name on the front; something that is traditional to the institution (okay, STATE without a modifier might be vague). Well, maybe I could stomach WHITE PHANTOMS on the front of the UNC jerseys, but that would simply be my personal tweaking of the rivalry. Even TAR HEELS would seem wrong.

Nike is messing with the holy. And they are doing it to sell gear. I say 'Throw them out of the temple!' They should cease and desist!
    Correction. I was misinformed about when the Arizona Wildcats were to wear the grays--err...Platinums. It was not against Utah on Saturday as I said. It will be on February 25 against UCLA.

I'm sorry, but the ZONA uniforms look like they should be hanging in Spiderman's closet, not a basketball locker.

Then again I'm over 31. Been there twice.

Burn 'Em

OK - I'm class of 1970, but wasn't even slightly grumpy until seeing these uni's. I watched the game with my strongly UNC-connected relatives - which primes me for being a little grumpy to start with. But when a couple of them commented that:
    a) wow, those are ugly, and
    b) when the light hits them right, that looks like "our" blue...

...that's it, they've hit the limit of absolute, terrible ugliness.

Is there anything that goes beyond being similar to "that" blue???????

BLUE Devils.

I don't like the gray uniforms, and I don't like my gray hair, either!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Compromise: Miles wears grey, Austin wears same road jersey as from Chapel Hill, rest of team wears whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Devil View Post
    What I object to is the implication in the title of the thread that anyone over 30 is a "grumpy geezer."

As a proud member of the class of '71 and therefore more than twice the age of any 30-year old (do the math) I don't feel anywhere near "geezerhood"...although I do feel a little grumpy just thinking about it.

And BTW, I hated the uniform colors even though my login name is,

Grey Devil
    No offense intended, Grey Devil. I'm getting closer and closer to doubling up myself... On further reflection, the alliteration is lame and unoriginal, and maybe going with something like "young at heart" or "young in spirit" would have been the better way to go...
    Last edited by Turk; 02-12-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    "Quality is not an option!"

We should know who we are. Instead we are letting Nike tell us who we should be.