Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Lin

Lin started to really make some noise in summer 2010, when he showed up John Wall in a summer league game:

Of course, he first burst onto the national stage when he put 30 up on Kemba Walker and the Huskies in 2009:

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Anyone following him? I know DBR ran a couple stories but I haven't seen any discussion. Just a refresher for those people who don't follow the NBA:

- He was not given a scholarship offer to any university.
    - He was not drafted in the NBA.
    - Last year he played 29 games for the Warriors and averaged a grand total of 2.6 points per game on 39% shooting.
    - After being waived by two NBA teams this year, the Knicks picked him up because one of their guards was injured.
    - He has now played 5 games for the Knicks. In the last 4, he has scored 25, 28, 23, and 38 points, shooting over 50% in all four games. During those games, the Knicks have been 4-0 even though their two stars have been out. They had gone 2-12 the previous 14 games.
    - At halftime tonight, Magic Johnson compared him to Steve Nash and John Stockton.
    - Oh and he's a Harvard grad and the first Asian American to ever play in the NBA.

I have never seen anything like it. Will this go down as the beginning of one of the all-time great feel-good stories in sports?
    This is why I hate the NBA. It's NOT a meritocracy. Big stars play and it's all marketing. Lin did not suddenly become good. Somebody became desperate enough to overcome their racism and favoritism toward those with established names that they can market.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Out of the question. He has far too much to prove before he is ready for the National Team. A couple good games do not a career make.
    You are probably right...even if he keeps it up. What if Kyrie keeps it up? Both have much more to prove, but if guard injuries deplete our roster, K & D will have to bring in someone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    This is why I hate the NBA. It's NOT a meritocracy. Big stars play and it's all marketing. Lin did not suddenly become good. Somebody became desperate enough to overcome their racism and favoritism toward those with established names that they can market.
    Three different NBA teams have given him a go in two years, which is more than can be said for the colleges he applied to. If it's racism that prevented him from getting a chance to shine up until now, it is alive and well at all levels, not just the NBA. And anyway, for whatever reason, he really was nowhere near this good last year. Similarly, his college numbers were fine, but nothing that suggested he had a big future in the NBA.

Also: believe me, Jeremy Lin is marketable. He was one of the most popular players on the Warriors even last year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Then why has JJ rode the pine all these years? Conversely, why has Battier held starter minutes for most of his career? I'm not saying I completely disagree with you, but I think NBA marketability is circumstantial. Trust me, if a guy can play than he's gonna get the minutes he deserves. In Lin's case, I'm guessing he's riding a wave of confidence that he may not have had before. Clearly his always had some talent, but when the mental game and the physical game click it can produce dramatic results. Lin just found that combo when the Knicks were short 3 point guards.
    Last edited by pamtar; 02-11-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Anyone following him? I know DBR ran a couple stories but I haven't seen any discussion. Just a refresher for those people who don't follow the NBA:

- He was not given a scholarship offer to any university.
    - He was not drafted in the NBA.
    - Last year he played 29 games for the Warriors and averaged a grand total of 2.6 points per game on 39% shooting.
    - After being waived by two NBA teams this year, the Knicks picked him up because one of their guards was injured.
    - He has now played 5 games for the Knicks. In the last 4, he has scored 25, 28, 23, and 38 points, shooting over 50% in all four games. During those games, the Knicks have been 4-0 even though their two stars have been out. They had gone 2-12 the previous 14 games.
    - At halftime tonight, Magic Johnson compared him to Steve Nash and John Stockton.
    - Oh and he's a Harvard grad and the first Asian American to ever play in the NBA.

- He has a sense of humor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yVnKQNj58

I worry what will happen when the black hole that is Carmelo (and to a lesser extent Amare) return. And to the poster asking him about the national team in London - Not a snow ball's chance in Chapil Hill. The short list is Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Deron Williams. He's no where close to those guys and even if they were all injured Lebron would start at the one. His success is in part to his talent but also in part to the D'Antonio's system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    - He has a sense of humor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yVnKQNj58

I worry what will happen when the black hole that is Carmelo (and to a lesser extent Amare) return.
    Perhaps I'm too close, being situated in NYC and all, but I really don't get the Melo hate. He ran iso to death earlier this season, true, but that's because Douglas was an embarrassment as a PG (and Bibby isn't much better). He really didn't have a choice. When he's been put in a system where the ball is shared -- have we already forgotten the Olympic team with Coach K, where he was one of the most important players on the squad? -- he does just fine, thank you.

And on top of that, Anthony has *already* played on the same court as Lin, when the latter broke out against the Nets. Didn't stop them from winning, and he certainly didn't get in the way of Lin ringing up 25...on the last possessions of that game, he was content to let Lin have the ball in his hands instead.

That said, it really wouldn't be such a bad thing for Melo to take up the slack when he returns... Jeremy is exhausted at this point. (Witness the utterly awful 1-for-13 performance in the second half against Minny this evening.)

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Got to watch Jeremy play at a Chinese restaurant last night. The waiters and patrons were going over
    to watch him; they looked pretty impressed. He's huge in the Asian community.
    I'm not sure which is more amazing, that Lin was able to play another game after stomping the Lakers, or that he chose to do so in a Chinese restaurant (and having been to many NYC Chinese restaurants, it's not like there's a lot of room between tables).

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Lin View Post
    That said, it really wouldn't be such a bad thing for Melo to take up the slack when he returns... Jeremy is exhausted at this point. (Witness the utterly awful 1-for-13 performance in the second half against Minny this evening.)
    I think efficiency has to be his biggest concern right now. Clearly he can create off the dribble. But will he fall into the high-turnover low-percentage trap that hit him tonight?

Of course he still got 20 points, a bunch of assists, a bunch of rebounds, some steals, and a win on the road in a back-to-back against a decent team while Melo and Amare were out.

It's fun to follow, although I wish more of his game were on national TV.

As a Knicks fan, I obviously think Lin is pretty amazing. He's pretty much the only thing I like about the team, especially when considering the wretched owner, the clueless and rudderless front office, and the lack of any credible point guards on the team with the exception of Lin. In terms of efficiency, he's actually among the absolute best in the sport in his limited time, and I agree with the poster who pointed out that his turnovers rise and shooting percentage lowers late in games when he's totally exhausted. Lin's been playing heavy minutes due to no credible backup, a sure-fire way to burn him out sooner than later in this offense. People forget, but Chris Duhon was a pretty credible point guard in D'Antoni's system for a couple months before playing with no backup caught up to him and he fell off the table.

Another player who seamlessly fits into D'Antoni's offense when it's working right is Amar'e Stoudemire. Stoudemire has 30 points in one game this year; expect that to change this coming week with a pretty light schedule and a pick and roll point guard. Carmelo... well, who knows? The main problem with Melo isn't that he's not good enough or something, but more that Dolan chose to give up four starters and a couple first-rounders to get him when he could have just waited him out. This would have been a much different, deeper team had that not happened. Melo is a ball-stopper, to be certain, but I'm hoping Lin is going to set him up well enough on fast breaks and pick and rolls that it'll just work. We'll see how it goes; Melo hasn't had much time with Lin and Amar'e has had none.

But there's no reason to expect Lin to regress or anything. He's really got talent (he looked good in very limited time for Golden State), and he's gaining confidence. I think expecting a poor man's Steve Nash is completely acceptable..

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    As a Knicks fan, I obviously think Lin is pretty amazing. He's pretty much the only thing I like about the team, especially when considering the wretched owner, the clueless and rudderless front office, and the lack of any credible point guards on the team with the exception of Lin. In terms of efficiency, he's actually among the absolute best in the sport in his limited time, and I agree with the poster who pointed out that his turnovers rise and shooting percentage lowers late in games when he's totally exhausted. Lin's been playing heavy minutes due to no credible backup, a sure-fire way to burn him out sooner than later in this offense. People forget, but Chris Duhon was a pretty credible point guard in D'Antoni's system for a couple months before playing with no backup caught up to him and he fell off the table.

Another player who seamlessly fits into D'Antoni's offense when it's working right is Amar'e Stoudemire. Stoudemire has 30 points in one game this year; expect that to change this coming week with a pretty light schedule and a pick and roll point guard. Carmelo... well, who knows? The main problem with Melo isn't that he's not good enough or something, but more that Dolan chose to give up four starters and a couple first-rounders to get him when he could have just waited him out. This would have been a much different, deeper team had that not happened. Melo is a ball-stopper, to be certain, but I'm hoping Lin is going to set him up well enough on fast breaks and pick and rolls that it'll just work. We'll see how it goes; Melo hasn't had much time with Lin and Amar'e has had none.

But there's no reason to expect Lin to regress or anything. He's really got talent (he looked good in very limited time for Golden State), and he's gaining confidence. I think expecting a poor man's Steve Nash is completely acceptable..
    I agree with your point that Dolan gave up way too much for Melo but disagree that the Knicks could have waited. There was an NBA lockout looming and Melo wanted to be sure of his money now. There was also the possibility that he could have gotten hurt playing out the season in Denver. If the Knicks did not make the trade Melo probably would have wound up playing for the Nets instead of Deron Williams.

Updated:

In his fourth start, became the only player in NBA history to register at least 20 points and 7 assists a game in his first four starts. Also has scored the most points in his first four starts than anyone since the NBA/ABA merger (topping Iverson).

Forbes' take on the application of Jeremy's rise (seizing his opportunity) to business:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjack...onday-morning/

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I agree with your point that Dolan gave up way too much for Melo but disagree that the Knicks could have waited. There was an NBA lockout looming and Melo wanted to be sure of his money now. There was also the possibility that he could have gotten hurt playing out the season in Denver. If the Knicks did not make the trade Melo probably would have wound up playing for the Nets instead of Deron Williams.
    In that case, the Knicks would most likely have had Deron Williams, who Donnie Walsh liked and who would have fit in much better than Carmelo with what they already had. it's not like having Carmelo was the be-all and end-all of basketball. And Carmelo wanted the Knicks above all, he just wouldn't come out and specifically say that, which didn't help matters. What killed them was idiot owner Jimmy Dolan cutting Walsh out of the Carmelo negotiations, destroying all of their leverage. They could have absolutely waited out Carmelo and made him pick between coming to the team he actually wanted to play for, in the biggest market and with the best endorsements, and a different team for more money and less satisfaction. If he picked the latter, you go in another direction.

Perhaps I'm too close, being situated in NYC and all, but I really don't get the Melo hate. He ran iso to death earlier this season, true, but that's because Douglas was an embarrassment as a PG (and Bibby isn't much better). He really didn't have a choice. When he's been put in a system where the ball is shared -- have we already forgotten the Olympic team with Coach K, where he was one of the most important players on the squad? -- he does just fine, thank you.

And on top of that, Anthony has *already* played on the same court as Lin, when the latter broke out against the Nets. Didn't stop them from winning, and he certainly didn't get in the way of Lin ringing up 25...on the last possessions of that game, he was content to let Lin have the ball in his hands instead.

I think this is a great point, Ping Lin. 'Melo has gotten the reputation as a whiner who can't win even though he willed a Syracuse team to an improbable NCAA title as a freshman. He was picked after Lebron and before Wade in the draft in 2003 and, admittedly, isn't as good as either of those two players. That being said, he's an excellent rebounder for his position in addition to being a devastating scorer. No, he isn't a killer defender, but he also has yet to play for a coach that stresses defense (Karl . . . no way. D'Antoni has a worse rep for D than he deserves, but still has never presided over a killer defenses team). Melo has some flaws, but he's a dang good player who has had no trouble playing within the team concept before. He wasn't any more whiney than the average NBA star angling for a trade. He's also probably slightly less selfish when it comes to assist rate than Durant, who is also still suspect as a defender. Durant is better (of course, he's played with better players overall, than Melo has), to be sure. Personally, I'd take Durant, Lebron, Rose, Wade and a few others ahead of Melo if I had my choice to start a team. That being said, if I were "stuck" with Melo I wouldn't feel like I was in such bad shape.

Jeremy Lin/Tim Tebow WSJ

Anyone see this piece by our own former Chronicle writer, Ben Cohen?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...190816522.html

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    Anyone see this piece by our own former Chronicle writer, Ben Cohen?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...190816522.html
    Rubbish! Jeremy Lin is nothing like Tim Tebow.

...Jeremy actually knows how to pass.

Ping "thank you, I'll be here all week" Lin

Rubbish! Jeremy Lin is nothing like Tim Tebow.

...Jeremy actually knows how to pass.

Ping "thank you, I'll be here all week" Lin
    Well played...I love it! And Jeremy also knows how to win!

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    If our guards are depleted and if Lin continues to impress, what do you think about his chances to play for his country in London, and for his coach (D'Antoni)? He seems to be a high-character, team guy. Coach K would no doubt love him. Out of the question?
    Absolutely no way he makes the roster... Let's see how he does when Carmelo and Amare return. Two guys who could play huge roles for us in London, Chandler and Melo, are Knicks... Lin will not be joining them. I would put Irving, Curry, Jennings, Ellis, and Lawson ahead of Lin in the race to replace Billups.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Absolutely no way he makes the roster... Let's see how he does when Carmelo and Amare return. Two guys who could play huge roles for us in London, Chandler and Melo, are Knicks... Lin will not be joining them. I would put Irving, Curry, Jennings, Ellis, and Lawson ahead of Lin in the race to replace Billups.
    I'm not as sure. It's a long, winding NBA season. If you are forming an opinion based on today, I can't completely disagree with you (only on a couple of guys you have mentioned). But, my premise is that Jeremy continues to improve and sustains his momentum. And also, that Billups and other selected guards cannot go due to injury, etc. If Lin doesn't keep his mojo going, then we all know that he will not be selected. If he does, having D'Antoni and K evaluating him will work to his benefit, I believe. D'Antoni knows him. K will listen to D'Antoni, as well as form his own strategic thoughts on Lin's potential benefit on the floor and in the lockeroom. K loves character guys and leaders. If the stars align and on a toss ball, Jeremy may have a shot. Don't count him out this early.