Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Lin

Jeremy Lin... (no relation)

In his first start, became the first player to register at least 28 points and 8 assists in his first start since Isaiah Thomas, over 30 years ago.

In his second start, became the first player to register at least 20 points and 8 assists in his first two starts since Lebron James, 9 nine years ago.

In his third start, became the player with the most points in his first three starts since the NBA/ABA merger. (More than MJ, Lebron, Larry Legend, Shaq, etc. etc.)

Unbelievable!

Ping "no relation...I wish" Lin

he's ballin
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Jeremy Lin

Anyone following him? I know DBR ran a couple stories but I haven't seen any discussion. Just a refresher for those people who don't follow the NBA:

- He was not given a scholarship offer to any university.
    - He was not drafted in the NBA.
    - Last year he played 29 games for the Warriors and averaged a grand total of 2.6 points per game on 39% shooting.
    - After being waived by two NBA teams this year, the Knicks picked him up because one of their guards was injured.
    - He has now played 5 games for the Knicks. In the last 4, he has scored 25, 28, 23, and 38 points, shooting over 50% in all four games. During those games, the Knicks have been 4-0 even though their two stars have been out. They had gone 2-12 the previous 14 games.
    - At halftime tonight, Magic Johnson compared him to Steve Nash and John Stockton.
    - Oh and he's a Harvard grad and the first Asian American to ever play in the NBA.

I have never seen anything like it. Will this go down as the beginning of one of the all-time great feel-good stories in sports?

It's an amazing story no doubt. In his 1st 3 starts he's put up #s that basically no one outside of Lebron James has put up.

I'm a bit worried about what will happen when the Knicks stars return however. He can probably play w/ Amare (who will appreciate having him there to run the pick and roll) but Carmelo is used to having the ball in his hands. Hopefully they can peacefully co-exist. The Knicks offense looks 10 times better with Lin at the helm.

And what a humble kid. He's been sleeping on his brother's couch since he didn't have a guaranteed contract and didn't know if he'd stick w/ the team. In the interview after the game tonight he was asked how it felt to score 38 points and all he talked about what his teammates.

Engraved in History -- Already?

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Anyone following him? I know DBR ran a couple stories but I haven't seen any discussion. Just a refresher for those people who don't follow the NBA:

- He was not given a scholarship offer to any university.
    - He was not drafted in the NBA.
    - Last year he played 29 games for the Warriors and averaged a grand total of 2.6 points per game on 39% shooting.
    - After being waived by two NBA teams this year, the Knicks picked him up because one of their guards was injured.
    - He has now played 5 games for the Knicks. In the last 4, he has scored 25, 28, 23, and 38 points, shooting over 50% in all four games. During those games, the Knicks have been 4-0 even though their two stars have been out. They had gone 2-12 the previous 14 games.
    - At halftime tonight, Magic Johnson compared him to Steve Nash and John Stockton.
    - Oh and he's a Harvard grad and the first Asian American to ever play in the NBA.

I have never seen anything like it. Will this go down as the beginning of one of the all-time great feel-good stories in sports?
    I doubted your point that he had received no scholarship offers, but -- according to the Wiki folks -- it is apparently true.

I noted that his Wikipedia article has already been updated for last night's 38 points. I guess going to Palo Alto High and Harvard had something to do with it.

sage

Oh man, this is great. Lin has been phenominal. I think the Knicks have found their point guard. It's cool to see how much better the Knicks are when someone which ball movement and court vision dominates the ball as opposed to score first,second,third Melo. Hopefully you hear all the New Yorkers shut up about how D'Antoni can't coach. Point guards matter!

I don't think its quite accurate to compare his first starts with LeBron though...LeBron was 19 and coming out of highschool. Jeremy Lin spent what 3-4 years in school, bounced around the league for 2...

You can tell he sees this as his shot to make it in the NBA and he is seizing it. He will not be denied. Its a great story.I might be able to root for the Knicks again (I stopped after the Melo trade Walsh leaving).

i loved watching him last night....he is the ANTI typical nba character....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Melo and Amare

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Oh man, this is great. Lin has been phenominal. I think the Knicks have found their point guard. It's cool to see how much better the Knicks are when someone which ball movement and court vision dominates the ball as opposed to score first,second,third Melo. Hopefully you hear all the New Yorkers shut up about how D'Antoni can't coach. Point guards matter!

I don't think its quite accurate to compare his first starts with LeBron though...LeBron was 19 and coming out of highschool. Jeremy Lin spent what 3-4 years in school, bounced around the league for 2...

You can tell he sees this as his shot to make it in the NBA and he is seizing it. He will not be denied. Its a great story.I might be able to root for the Knicks again (I stopped after the Melo trade Walsh leaving).
    The performance and win against the road-weary Lakers came without Amare and Carmelo in the lineup. It'll be interesting to see how Lin's role adjusts when the two stars return. Also, is Baron Davis expected back at any time?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    According to one article I read, he's actually the fourth Asian American to play in the NBA.

Hopefully the fact that he played for Amaker will be enough to keep this thread on the EKB.

I was kinda skeptical so I watched the game last night and oh my god, this kid is legit. Great quote from Tyson Chandler after the game saying along the lines of "you can tell when a guy is not very good but has a group of games when he's just on - this isn't like that.". I felt that Lin might be one of those anomalies as well. But once you make dropping 38 and 7 on the lakers look easy, you have arrived.

Im kinda worried how he'll incorporate into a Carmelo/Amar'e offense. Carmelo has shown he can play well with a decent PG (Billups/Lawson). Amar'e learned under Nash so no problem there. My only question is how do you fit all three on the floor at the same time and still play team ball? Carmelo is gonna want his touches whether he's earned them or not. D'antoni may need to refer to his days as K's Olympic assistant. Also, what if Baron Davis plays decent? Too many good players is a great problem to have but it looks like somebody is gonna have to sacrifice some minutes at some point.

I'd trade Carmelo for two good wings.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDevil View Post
    According to one article I read, he's actually the fourth Asian American to play in the NBA.
    Yesterday on NPR they said he was the first USA-born Asian-Amercian to play in the NBA (check out this link, which starts with conversation about Duke-UNC).

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Hopefully the fact that he played for Amaker will be enough to keep this thread on the EKB.

I was kinda skeptical so I watched the game last night and oh my god, this kid is legit. Great quote from Tyson Chandler after the game saying along the lines of "you can tell when a guy is not very good but has a group of games when he's just on - this isn't like that.". I felt that Lin might be one of those anomalies as well. But once you make dropping 38 and 7 on the lakers look easy, you have arrived.

Im kinda worried how he'll incorporate into a Carmelo/Amar'e offense. Carmelo has shown he can play well with a decent PG (Billups/Lawson). Amar'e learned under Nash so no problem there. My only question is how do you fit all three on the floor at the same time and still play team ball? Carmelo is gonna want his touches whether he's earned them or not. D'antoni may need to refer to his days as K's Olympic assistant. Also, what if Baron Davis plays decent? Too many good players is a great problem to have but it looks like somebody is gonna have to sacrifice some minutes at some point.

I'd trade Carmelo for two good wings.
    Is it a better question to ask how Carmelo will incorporate into Lin's offense?

With Lin at PG, the Knicks, who were sub-.500 previously, are 4-0, or 3-0 in games he has started. In addition to Lin's scoring, he is also moving the ball well and the team in general is playing well. Stoudamire IMO should adjust fairly well to this offense. Carmelo is another question; he has tremendous one-on-one and scoring skills but holds the ball for long periods of time, which is not the way the Knicks have played with Lin in the lineup.

I'd say the team has to go the way of the successful point guard play, and not a style where Carmelo dominates the ball. Not an easy issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Is it a better question to ask how Carmelo will incorporate into Lin's offense?

With Lin at PG, the Knicks, who were sub-.500 previously, are 4-0, or 3-0 in games he has started. In addition to Lin's scoring, he is also moving the ball well and the team in general is playing well. Stoudamire IMO should adjust fairly well to this offense. Carmelo is another question; he has tremendous one-on-one and scoring skills but holds the ball for long periods of time, which is not the way the Knicks have played with Lin in the lineup.

I'd say the team has to go the way of the successful point guard play, and not a style where Carmelo dominates the ball. Not an easy issue though.
    Totally agree here. That's why I said I'd trade Carmelo. (Is that even possible based on his contract?) Assuming Lin keeps this up it has become his offense. I'd really hate to see the Knicks go back to the slower pace after Carmelo comes back. If D'antoni can figure out how to make everyone happy, and keep winning, he'll keep his job.

Love to watch this kid play the game. Smart, crafty, confident, and has more quicks than defenders give him credit for. It truly is amazing what he is doing for this team. They are winning games, I'll be it against 3 terrible teams and 1 good team, and he has very little help around him. I do feel a little sorry for the kid because the hype machine is out of control. I don't think the kid can get much better right now so when he comes down to earth and the Knicks start losing games (which we know will happen, haha) those NY fans can be harsh. In the meantime, keep it up Lin!

I think the biggest issue for Lin and the Knicks is Carmelo Anthony. As it has already been stated, Carmelo is a ball hog/give it to him and get out of his way. He doesn't want to share the ball or play defense. I've always said Carmelo is overrated and I get so tired of hearing how Carmelo is the "best pure scorer in the world." Give me a break, he is a volume shooter, no volume shooter can be the best scorer IN THE WORLD!

D'Antoni is probably hoping Carmelo stays hurt, haha, because he could have a Phoenix Suns like combo of Nash/Stoudemire, who won a lot of games years ago, with Lin/Stoudemire. I think Amare will thrive when he returns next week because Lin will find him. Should be interesting to watch unfold over the next few months.

Carmelo will come back. Lin will get relegated to sub minutes. The team will revert to "me-first" basketball. The Knicks will tank.

Sad, but if I was a gambler I'd put big money on that scenario.

No matter what happens- this is the fantasy of anyone who ever shot a basketball - to play in the NBA and have a star performance- even if just for a night. He has done it now for several night in a row. Can he keep it up? Who knows but right now this is what sports is all about. No matter what happens- he had his moment and very few who have played the game in the driveway or D1 ever do.

incredible story

watched the last 10 minutes or so of the game last night...what I couldn't believe was that even with his team mates throwing the ball directly to the Lakers on three posessions in the last two minutes, the knicks were able to get back on D and maintain the lead. Lakers did look a little gassed last night, Lin seemed to be one of the fastest guys on the floor.

Got to watch Jeremy play at a Chinese restaurant last night. The waiters and patrons were going over
    to watch him; they looked pretty impressed. He's huge in the Asian community.

Team USA?

If our guards are depleted and if Lin continues to impress, what do you think about his chances to play for his country in London, and for his coach (D'Antoni)? He seems to be a high-character, team guy. Coach K would no doubt love him. Out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    If our guards are depleted and if Lin continues to impress, what do you think about his chances to play for his country in London, and for his coach (D'Antoni)? He seems to be a high-character, team guy. Coach K would no doubt love him. Out of the question?
    Out of the question. He has far too much to prove before he is ready for the National Team. A couple good games do not a career make.