Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Agree that Virginia in in good shape for the NCAA bid now. But it's not a lock and their bid to finish fourth (and get a bye in the ACC Tournament) is far from secure. They have by far the toughest ACC schedule of the three-fourth-place contenders left.

The race for fourth place is almost as exciting as the three-way race for first ... plus it has the added excitement of the fact that all three contenders are fighting to secure their NCAA bids. I think Virginia is in good shape, but not a lock ... NC State and Miami still have work to do.
    Quite possibly a 3-way tie for 4th at 9-7. As you say, Cavs have tough end-season, made tougher by the injuries to Harris and especially Sene, who may not return at all. One advantage for the Cavs: in case of 3-way tie at 9-7, they have tiebreaker with both Miami and NCSt, having defeated each by one point.

Heeeeee-yooooooooj games tomorrow for NC State and Virginia.

NC State desperately needs to get back to winning basketball after flunking their 3 game are-you-one-of-the-big-boys? test. That was a tough gauntlet for State, and going 1-2 would have put them on the inside of the bubble. Now they are on the outside and need to win their last 3 (all winnable) to have any shot at an at large bid. Go into the ACC Tourney 10-6 and they can hope that one or two wins might get them an at large bid. Go into the ACC Tournament 9-7, they almost certainly don't get an at-large bid, and it would be automatic-bid-or-NIT time for them again. State has been pretty good all season (with the notable exception of the Ga Tech home loss) of winning the games they should win. Well, they've now got 3 games they should win, and need to win.

UVa doesn't absolutely need to beat the Tarheels, but a win probably makes them an absolute lock for the NCAAT. Obviously, I'll be cheering on the Wahoos for my own selfish reasons.

We've reached the penultimate weekend of the regular season and it is shaping up to be an exciting one. Three teams remain in the chase for the regular season crown, and #1 seed in the ACC Tournament.

Duke vs Virginia Tech
    North Carolina @ Virginia
    Florida State @ Miami

On paper, Duke has the easiest task this weekend due to playing a lower tier team at home, while Carolina and Florida State are on the road against teams still in the hunt for 4th place and a 1st round bye. It is vital for Duke to come out focused and take care of business against Virginia Tech at home. A slip up would negate the big win in Tallahassee. While Carolina and Florida State should win, I expect both games to be hard fought affairs and if Virginia could knock off Carolina it would give Duke a leg up toward securing the ACCT #1 seed. Carolina is a four point favorite. Miami is reeling having lost three of their last four games so FSU will be facing a team who desperately needs a win to salvage their chances to earn a NCAAT bid.

Virginia, N.C. State and Miami all need to help themselves and win in order to secure the last bye for the ACCT. Two of the three teams are matched up against top tier teams, while N.C. State travels to Clemson. Vegas likes the Tigers and has them as a four point favorite over the Wolfpack. If N.C. State loses, their resume for a NCAAT bid takes a huge hit. As davekay1971 states above, the Wolfpack need to win out.

It is time to kick back and enjoy a great weekend of competitive ACC basketball.
    Bob Green

Anybody in DBR land watching UVA lead UNC at half? Love Bennett, what a coach!

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    If UNC loses this game, does Duke get the #1 seed in the ACCT, assuming we beat Wake?

Also, NC State giving up their 20 point lead at Cameron was the unofficial end to their season.

Tiebreakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    If UNC loses this game, does Duke get the #1 seed in the ACCT, assuming we beat Wake?

Also, NC State giving up their 20 point lead at Cameron was the unofficial end to their season.
    Way I see it, in the following scenario we get the 1st seed in tournament.

UNC loses today or their next game.
    We defeat Wake
    We defeat UNC Saturday.

If we lose to UNC Saturday, we still get #1 depending on if FSU gets 3rd. If they do, then we SHOULD get the #1 seed in the ACCT because of we split with them and FSU, whereas they have 0-1 record versus FSU.

Of course, easy way is to win both games. Problem solved.

And I agree re: NCSU. They officially punched a ticket (maybe) to the NIT today.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Oh yeah. UVA is playing great, but the zebras latest whistle on Scott has kind of taken the air out of the building. They need someone to hit a shot and soon.

Yes. Duke has the tiebreakers, in case both Duke and UNC end up 13-3. Probably FSU or maybe UVa will finish 3d. Duke is 1-1 v FSU, and 1-0 v UVa. UNC is 0-1 v FSU, and would be 1-1 v UVa. I think it's impossible for Miami to finish 3d, so it's irrelevant that Duke is 0-1 v Canes, whereas UNC is 2-0.

All that said, I don't expect UVa to beat UNC, esp given that last foul called against Scott [4th] in a colossal blown call, in which Henson wins an Oscar. UVa is playing inspired, but Sene's injury is a killer for a game against UNC.

Later edit: Actually it is remotely possible that Miami, FSU, and UVa could all end up 10-6. Remotely. Highly unlikely. Just out of curiosity, I'll try to figure out which of those teams would get 3d on tiebreakers among those 3.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 02-25-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    UVa is playing inspired, but Sene's injury is a killer for a game against UNC.
    So true. 6'6 Joe Harris, who is listed as a guard, is guarding Henson. This one does look like it is going down to the wire though.

Lets go Hoos!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    All that said, I don't expect UVa to beat UNC, esp given that last foul called against Scott [4th] in a colossal blown call, in which Henson wins an Oscar. UVa is playing inspired, but Sene's injury is a killer for a game against UNC.
    Blessing in disguise? Scott playing like crap. I call BS on him being an ACC player of the year contender. Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    So true. 6'6 Joe Harris, who is listed as a guard, is guarding Henson. This one does look like it is going down to the wire though.

Lets go Hoos!
    unc has managed to accumulate a total of 4 fouls in 19:57 of the 2nd half of this game. Amazing.

#5 now with 1.3 seconds left.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

UVA went 0-11 on their last 11 3s. Oh and UNC managed to con the officials into calling an early 4th foul on the best ACC player Mike Scott and got away with an finger to a UVA player's eye.

They live a charmed life. Second road game (also Miami) where momentum was changed by rotten officiating.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    unc has managed to accumulate a total of 4 fouls in 19:57 of the 2nd half of this game. Amazing.

#5 now with 1.3 seconds left.
    And that fourth one actually came just a few seconds before the fifth one.

Guess we gotta beat these clowns ourselves!

Blessing in disguise? Scott playing like crap. I call BS on him being an ACC player of the year contender. Blah.
    Mike Scott would still get my vote (if I had one). It's not about one game, but rather about his entire body of work. If Mike Scott isn't the ACC POY, who is?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    UVA went 0-11 on their last 11 3s. Oh and UNC managed to con the officials into calling an early 4th foul on the best ACC player Mike Scott and got away with an finger to a UVA player's eye.

They live a charmed life. Second road game (also Miami) where momentum was changed by rotten officiating.
    And that fourth one actually came just a few seconds before the fifth one.

Guess we gotta beat these clowns ourselves!
    Just remember though: Duke gets all the calls.

Final tally: unc with 23 FT and UVa with 6.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Disclaimer - I didn't watch one second of this game but...even so...how did UNC get called for only 11 total fouls and UVA only went to the line 6 times today - AT HOME??? Duke only got called for 13 today vs. VT so I guess that's not a whole lot more than 11, but still...it seems a bit fishy to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    ...how did UNC get called for only 11 total fouls and UVA only went to the line 6 times today - AT HOME???
    Easy answer - ACC Refs! It has been that way for all 52 years of my existence.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Mike Scott would still get my vote (if I had one). It's not about one game, but rather about his entire body of work. If Mike Scott isn't the ACC POY, who is?
    Probably Zeller but I'm not sure. He's really become a lot tougher and plays with a ton of effort, in addition to being a fantastic scorer. I'm sort of amazed that he's turned himself into a projected lottery pick.

But you're right, I probably overreacted.

Probably Zeller but I'm not sure. He's really become a lot tougher and plays with a ton of effort, in addition to being a fantastic scorer. I'm sort of amazed that he's turned himself into a projected lottery pick.

Yeah that's because he's a senior, and Henson, supposedly a lottery pick as a freshman, is still in school as a junior. Guess UNC can't develop NBA talent.

Zeller would be my second choice. He is clearly Carolina's MVP.
    Bob Green