Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Just watching Sports Center...showing multiple replays of Austin's shot from different angles.

The crowd shots are absolutely priceless.
    Talk about stunned.
    Heh heh heh ... you mean like this?
    photo-3.jpg

Thank you Austin!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    How did we even get into this game after we were left for dead?

Actually played some good D at the end, but it was really the offensive productivity and the rebounding of Mason Plumlee.

Key plays:

Three by Tyler

Three by Seth (after five steps)

RB and deuce by Ryan.

Courtesy tip-in by Zeller (shouldn't that have been a three?)

Game-winning bomb over the announcer-anointed ACC POY.

sagegrouse

Don't forget:

Mason getting the ball after Marshall is stripped.

Ryan Kelly drawing a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I still don't understand that call. I assume that Ryan Kelly got credit for the bucket. This may be the only instance where I've seen a player shoot the ball from beyond the arc and only get 2 points for the shot.

It would be great for someone with reffing experience to explain the logic behind that call.

One heck of a win tonight by the good guys!

Let's go Duke!
    mason gets credit since he was closest to the play, but that's a scorers decision, not the refs. All the refs have to say is it wasn't goaltending (which was probably the correct call) and therefore is a 2pt shot..doesn't matter where the shot was first taken from since it was touched by someone inside the arc and wasn't goaltending...they don't care who ACTUALLY gets credit for the points.

EDIT: apparnently i'm wrong and ryan gets credit...still doesn't change the ruling the refs made
    1200. DDMF.

I still don't understand that call. I assume that Ryan Kelly got credit for the bucket. This may be the only instance where I've seen a player shoot the ball from beyond the arc and only get 2 points for the shot.

It would be great for someone with reffing experience to explain the logic behind that call.

Let's go Duke!

Yep, Kelly gets credit. Last offensive player to touch the ball.

Let's go Duke!
    My interpretation:

There is no "own goal" in basketball. A tip by the defensive team that goes in the (wrong) basket is credited to the closest offensive player. (Or we'd have to add Zeller to our box score.)

Since the tip was at the basket (as opposed to behind the 3-point line), it is scored as a 2 point basket (by the closest Duke player).

Make sense?

I'm no ref but the call was that it was an airball and then Zeller tipped the ball in. I'm also confused as to why they credited Kelly with the 2. I think in an own-goal situation the bucket usually gets assigned to whichever offensive player is closest to the play, which I think would have been Mason. They might change it before the official box score comes out.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Let's go Duke!
    A shot that doesn't have chance to go in the basket. That's why it wasn't goaltending. From my viewpoint ten miles away, it appeared to be in front of goal and Zeller touched it below the rim.

If I remember my score keeping rules, if an opposing player tips it in, the player closest to the play gets credit. (not sure about that, though.). Let me check the game ticker.

What a night! Can't wait to hit the streets in the garb tomorrow morning!

Scratch and fight, gut it out D-U-K-E!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDevil View Post
    Yep, Kelly gets credit. Last offensive player to touch the ball.
    Isn't it usually the closest offensive player to the basket?

Amazing

An amazing game. With some time left I commented that even if we lose it was a good game. A miss here a make here and it's a different game. We stayed in it and either way it was going to be a good game. Just so happy right now, still in awe.

On the other hand Roy was unbelieveably gracious in his post game comments. Constantly giving Duke credit, not belittling his team saying both teams played well, and mentioning how the Duke kids should be celebrating the win and not to make anything of it. Tyler had some mistakes in the end but he was the main reason they were ahead in the end. He plays tough, doesn't run his mouth, and I know it's a small thing but was impressed when he tried to catch Miles after fouling him. But the fans...the FANS...oh I loved watching their reactions to Austin's shot. They feel they are entitled to win every game and will have forgotten about the loss by morning.

It's sad but after a big win like this I'm not happy that I can rub a Carolina fans face in it (cause I never do)...I'm just happy to not have to hear them.

Let's go Duke!
    I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I think that once its clear that the ball won't go in, the shot has ended, so Zeller's tip is on the rebound and not the same as a guy tipping a shot on the way up. Thinking of it another way if it wasn't a tip on the rebound and the shot was over, then it would have to be goaltending. The ESPN play-by-play gives it to Kelly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change credit from Kelly to whoever was closest to Zeller, which I think is the convention for when a guy shoots in the wrong goal. That's all just a guess, but I'll throw it out there. I'd love to hear an official explanation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    love the duke fan in the fifth or so row right along the aisle jumping up and down when it went in. Braving hell to root for the blue and white!
    I've been in the Dean Dome for a Duke win wearing a Duke hat and shirt and really didn't take too much abuse. I was in the upper level at mid-court in the heart of wine and cheesedom though. Been awhile too I think Wojo went off in the second half as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    A shot that doesn't have chance to go in the basket. That's why it wasn't goaltending. From my viewpoint ten miles away, it appeared to be in front of goal and Zeller touched it below the rim.

If I remember my score keeping rules, if an opposing player tips it in, the player closest to the play gets credit. (not sure about that, though.). Let me check the game ticker.
    that's what I thought too...but apparently its the last offensive player to touch the ball...either way its a scoring issue, not a reffing issue (much like what counts as an assist...the refs don't really care)
    1200. DDMF.

Truly an ESPN Istant Classic!

I could not be prouder of our Blue Devils if I tried. A great effort, never quitting. Way to go, Duke!

Now I get to go to work tomorrow and hear the cricket sounds coming from the unc crowd. Yesssssss!!!!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    I was very concerned that we weren't going inside enough, but man was it nice to win on that three!!!
    Inside was offensive death for us tonight.

Only way we were gonna win was to rain threes...and it poured at just the right time.

This one was SWEET!

Anyone who thought we were going to pull this one off after the 3 minute mark was just being austintatious.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Anyone who thought we were going to pull this one off after the 3 minute mark was just being austintatious.
    Ozzie anyone?
    1200. DDMF.

my son who is a sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Inside was offensive death for us tonight.

Only way we were gonna win was to rain threes...and it poured at just the right time.

This one was SWEET!
    said the lit the bonfire right after the game, sweet

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I've been in the Dean Dome for a Duke win wearing a Duke hat and shirt and really didn't take too much abuse. I was in the upper level at mid-court in the heart of wine and cheesedom though. Been awhile too I think Wojo went off in the second half as I recall.
    Other than Cameron, the DESSAC is the safest arena for visiting fans. The ushers do their job properly. The only people who get ejected are Prebyterian fans.

Was there a few times with the namesake of this forum, and I never felt I was in any physical danger. Liz, on the other hand, was ready to fight any challengers. :-)