Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    well, Z WAS pushed in the back and there's an 80% chance Seth would be called for that as a travel in just about any other game...

however, i'm too lazy to got back through the game and take points away from the holes for everytime they pushed off or went over the back... so..

i remember when the media asked K after beating arizona if he thought the refs were on duke's side and he respondedm, "i sure hope so" ....try THAT on your unc "friends" when they say duke gets all the calls....they boil...

before we get too carried away tho, let's all remember we have another game, maybe three with them this year...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    It was the best meal in recent memory, Bob.

And on a related note, Tar Heel Nation is STILL in meltdown. My Hole friends on Facebook are still whining about anything they can cling to (Curry traveled, Zeller was pushed on the "tip-in" - which he was, obviously, but so what?, yada yada yada...). That's one thing I've noticed on Facebook - UNC fans are relentless in their Duke hate, whereas Duke fans only make positive comments about Duke, and don't seem to really care that much about UNC.
    Um... Yeah.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    well, Z WAS pushed in the back and there's an 80% chance Seth would be called for that as a travel in just about any other game...

however, i'm too lazy to got back through the game and take points away from the holes for everytime they pushed off or went over the back... so..
    Oh, yeah, my point is that those kinds of things happen ALL game in EVERY game. That's my reply on Facebook to my UNC friends who keep whining. I just find it amusing that they STILL haven't come to grips, even three days later.

Over on IC they have a thread that provides stats that shows that Jeremy Kearsy (ref) is totally against the heels. Amazing. I hope this excuse making, conspiracy theory line of thinking works it's way into the psyche of the tar heel players and coaches...

I love it when fans of other teams make excuses for losing... that means we won!!

Like someone else said, when the UNC fans chose to use the line that Duke gets all the calls, despite the facts, just tell them that they have to pony up more money and out bid Duke for the refs good favor... ask them why they aren't willing to pay more? That usually will shut them up...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    when the UNC fans chose to use the line that Duke gets all the calls, despite the facts, just tell them that they have to pony up more money and out bid Duke for the refs good favor... ask them why they aren't willing to pay more? That usually will shut them up...
    C'mon, man, paying the refs for good favor would be cheating. And we all know, cheating is NOT the Carolina way.

Er...uh...um...well...uh...never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    C'mon, man, paying the refs for good favor would be cheating. And we all know, cheating is NOT the Carolina way.

Er...uh...um...well...uh...never mind...
    Well reason will never work with the unreasonable, so I just agree and move on.

I wonder how Harrison Barnes' ankle is? It gave him trouble in the first half, but seemed to heal itself during halftime... lets see how it holds up against UVA today.

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    It's worse than that.

Every opponent gets all the calls. Every time. Every game.

UNC gets no calls. Ever. They are the victims of a vast and overarching conspiracy headed by Coach K, and implemented through the ACC, NCAA, ESPN, CBS, the referees everywhere, and I guess the UN and Opus Dei. Next they will have to put the Knights Templar on the schedule.

Despite the fact that they are the sole remaining Standard Bearers of Golden Excellence in all things basketball, the game they play is being undermined and ruined by the powerful Other's manipulation of the refs, the rules, and I suppose the earth's rotation.
    I finally have time to sift through the carnage this morning. This made me laugh so hard that I have tears in my eyes.

I have also had time to digest what happened on Wednesday night. Nobody will ever "move on" from Wednesday night or get past it. Substantial history was made that will not go away, ever.

FT Attempts

Sorry if this was posted earlier. Couldn't find it. 2011-12 season to date...

Duke 436 FTs made vs. Opponents 448 FTs attempted
    Kerlina 404 FTs made vs. Opponents 319 FTs attempted

The old stat about Duke making more FTs than opponents attempted is not holding true for us right now but it's heavily in kerlina's favor. But why let facts get in the way of a stupid argument. Some conspiracy.

God am I enjoying wearing my Duke hat EVERYWHERE I go.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

i remember when the media asked K after beating arizona if he thought the refs were on duke's side and he respondedm, "i sure hope so" ....try THAT on your unc "friends" when they say duke gets all the calls....they boil...

before we get too carried away tho, let's all remember we have another game, maybe three with them this year...
    In every game played there are calls that go your way and calls that don't. For UNC fans or Duke fans for that matter to boil a game down to one or two calls is silly. In this game UNC had a 12 point lead late in the game on their home court. They lost the game with poor shot selection, poor clock management, poor defense (going under screens on shooters) and yes a bad break when Zeller tipped in the Kelly shot. But to say that anything other than their failure to put the game away is whinning and excuse making, and I for one hope like crazy that they keep doing it, that is why I chose to agree with them when they make the crazy claims that the refs are against them and that K has made a pact with the devil... I love it!!

Well, Maybe God is Not a Tar Heel

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    In every game played there are calls that go your way and calls that don't. For UNC fans or Duke fans for that matter to boil a game down to one or two calls is silly. In this game UNC had a 12 point lead late in the game on their home court. They lost the game with poor shot selection, poor clock management, poor defense (going under screens on shooters) and yes a bad break when Zeller tipped in the Kelly shot. But to say that anything other than their failure to put the game away is whinning and excuse making, and I for one hope like crazy that they keep doing it, that is why I chose to agree with them when they make the crazy claims that the refs are against them and that K has made a pact with the devil... I love it!!
    I think there is a larger point here. All true Tar Heels swear by the adage, "If God is not a Tar Heel, why is the sky Carolina blue?"

Austin Rivers made a great play and a great shot against the 7-foot Zeller overmatched by the much quicker guard. Rivers' play was the nail in the coffin.

The victory (or loss from the Heel perspective) only occurred because of the Zeller tip-in of a missed Duke shot. That was a miracle in favor of Duke, and it sure looked like divine intervention to me. The whine from the Heels faithful is because it has undermined the "God is a Tar Heel" mantra. No wonder they are clutching at straws!

sagegrouse
    'When I lived in Durham decades ago, bumper stickers began to show up reading something like "Life is Better in Chapel Hill." As luck would have it (some more divine intervention?), the Orange County reservoir began to run dry, and the folks in Chapel Hill went to neighboring communites for a cupful of water. The Durham City Council IIRC stiffed 'em big time because of Chapel Hill's attitude that "we are better than anyone"'

Memory of a lifetime!

I waited quite a while to digest and to post!
    I entertained not posting at all,because of the tone of some of the early posts and understood our unbridled elation, but
    was privately a little concerned some post were not representative of, DUKE style!

The posts recently are more representative of who I believe,we are!

That said:
    I couldn't have wished for more!
    Was there with great seats, Just to see Duke v nc, was enough, to see history
    in the making...UN BE LIEVE A BLE!!!!

The atmosphere, was electric, at the half thought the roof was coming down,
    hated it but as a competitor, had to appreciate it..Hold that thought!

They really do an outstanding job of setting the stage and creating the enviornment! Hold that thought!

We were trying to be gracious visitors and represent DUKE in true fashion!

The fellow to the side of us all but broke a blood vessel cause we were there!

The "typical uniformed unc fan" behind us, loud, obnoxious, uninformed about the nuances and rules of the game,
    only recieved from me ,one well timed , " really!!!, are you kidding me look", when he screamed not once,
    not twice, but three times in a row till his voice cracked, the Tyler Thornton was dirty, when he was guarding
    Marshall well on a possession in the 2nd half...the result, "nuff said"...got quiter after that! Hold that thought!

The people in front of us, polished, knowledgeable, a "little" elitist demeanor in assuming a win...Hold that thought!

People to our right, just good fans, no contact..

So for all the "Hold that thought" comments above... see below:

Obviously it was a game for the ages, and we had the good fortune to be there..memory of a lifetime...

Three min left, could not talk to my son and be heard it was that loud,as things began to unravel, still loud, but tension setting in!
    The last 2 minutes does not require more description here..then "THE SHOT",
    the funniest way I can desribe it was to quote Nolan Smiths tweet!
    "GOOD NIGHT !!!!"

Never have I been to an event that an arena got SO quite and SO empty SO fast...it was amazing . "THE EXODUS"!!
    The reasonable fans in front shook hands and said congratulations and represented NC as you would hope for,
    it was not universal! lol

We stayed in the arena and were checking out various seats and we came under some "bush league" verbal comments, as you might expect!

When I was taking the below picture, from a distance was heard The FU bomb expletive, no response was necessary,
    because he was emotional and clearly at the end of his "vocabulary tools" !!!

Someone very dear too me, sent me a email and said the only way it could have been better was for it to happen in CIS!!
    Understood what he was saying and it and it has a lot of merit, but my response was..

"It was perfect the way it was, in their house, after all the sabre rattling from the game lead up!
    broke their longest home game winning streak, slight underdogs, and the fact that until
    they lose at home again, every home game played on TV, untill they lose at home again, this game and
    Austins shots are going to be replayed and brought up...kinda like a " drip water tourture"

Nope, was just perfect the way it was, and got to see it live!!

DUKE v nc 2012.jpgDUKE v nc 2012.jpg
    Let's go DUKE !!!

"And on a related note, Tar Heel Nation is STILL in meltdown. My Hole friends on Facebook are still whining about anything they can cling to (Curry traveled, Zeller was pushed on the "tip-in" - which he was, obviously, but so what?, yada yada yada...). That's one thing I've noticed on Facebook - UNC fans are relentless in their Duke hate, whereas Duke fans only make positive comments about Duke, and don't seem to really care that much about UNC"- slower

Most Tar Heel fans are even more bitter now that Duke embarassed their team. They have more venom to spit than ever, they can not accept defeat. Case in point, today at the mall I'm with my family and of course wearing my Duke hat and sweatshirt, we go to Pretzel time so my wife and son can get a pretzel. The girl working there just couldn't stand it, she immediately spouted "looks like somebody's a Duke fan" (real smart unc fan to deduce that fact since I was covered in Duke gear). She then continued with her idiocy stating that Duke barely won, I had to then remind her that when you're down 12 points with 2 and half on the clock and claw back to win it, it's not barely winning. I have to deal with ignorant fans like her all the time, I can't go to the bank or Pizza Hut without the snide comment. It's amazing, here in Western N.C. these people think that they have a right to openly attack Duke fans. But what they don't expect is my coming back at them, as the brainiac today found out. Usually I just ignore them but after Wednesday nights game it's like they just can't bear the fact that Duke beats unc and beats them often. I usually kill the holes' attack by mentioning Duke has beat the holes 5 out of the last 6 meetings and remind them of last years ACC title game. That pretty much does it and if it doesn't I give jog their memory of the 32 point slaughter at Cameron.

It's a relentless fight but I march on.......

Go Duke!

Have some fun with this !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Analogy View Post
    "And on a related note, Tar Heel Nation is STILL in meltdown. My Hole friends on Facebook are still whining about anything they can cling to (Curry traveled, Zeller was pushed on the "tip-in" - which he was, obviously, but so what?, yada yada yada...). That's one thing I've noticed on Facebook - UNC fans are relentless in their Duke hate, whereas Duke fans only make positive comments about Duke, and don't seem to really care that much about UNC"- slower

Most Tar Heel fans are even more bitter now that Duke embarassed their team. They have more venom to spit than ever, they can not accept defeat. Case in point, today at the mall I'm with my family and of course wearing my Duke hat and sweatshirt, we go to Pretzel time so my wife and son can get a pretzel. The girl working there just couldn't stand it, she immediately spouted "looks like somebody's a Duke fan" (real smart unc fan to deduce that fact since I was covered in Duke gear). She then continued with her idiocy stating that Duke barely won, I had to then remind her that when you're down 12 points with 2 and half on the clock and claw back to win it, it's not barely winning. I have to deal with ignorant fans like her all the time, I can't go to the bank or Pizza Hut without the snide comment. It's amazing, here in Western N.C. these people think that they have a right to openly attack Duke fans. But what they don't expect is my coming back at them, as the brainiac today found out. Usually I just ignore them but after Wednesday nights game it's like they just can't bear the fact that Duke beats unc and beats them often. I usually kill the holes' attack by mentioning Duke has beat the holes 5 out of the last 6 meetings and remind them of last years ACC title game. That pretty much does it and if it doesn't I give jog their memory of the 32 point slaughter at Cameron.

It's a relentless fight but I march on.......

Go Duke!

This was on the back of their paper !!

unc paper pic.jpg
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Tar Heel Nation is STILL in meltdown.

So we're returning the u-haul from my nephew's move, second in line with six or eight other folks (strange confligration, I think, for 3 on a saturday afternoon, but hey, people move when they move and we do too). Dude walks in, disregards everybody in the queue and barks at the clerk, "Hey, can I get some help with a pick-up?"

This is Louisville, we may put up with Patino and Calipari but we do not abide rude.

The folks at the end of the line, that have a clear view of the back of his cheap imitation pleather lettermen jacket say, "friggin Tar Heel".

Turns out, this guy has "N.Carolina" in those fuzzy, high school letters across his back. "N.Carolina", just like that...

The u-haul clerk tells N.Carolina that he'll be with him when he can but these folks were here first and if he could get in line. And I interrupt with AUSTIN RIVERS and a five clap. To which three other folks behind me, at least one in UofL gear, join in by the third or fourth clap. We repeat. Thrice. {cue sound track to awesomeness}

N.Carolina fussed for a minute then went and waited in his car that we passed on the way out and I flashed a four and said GO DUKE which he tried to ignore.

It may be just a game. And it's kids throwing around a ball, but it's socially relevant and useful.

Especially when we can get their goat.

HA!
    Last edited by KenTankerous; 02-12-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: needed a "but" after "ball", no?

Lightbulb

First chance to post since the game...
    Two things are clear to me at this point, Rivers is ACC ROY, Zeller is ACC POY.
    Pre-game predictions came true this time. The game was all about shooting, (good for Duke, bad for UNC) and lack of focus to execute the fundamentals again by UNC gave Duke the opportunities to take the game, which, to their credit, they did with clutch shooting.
    That was a bitter loss for the Heels because they controlled the game, without ever really playing well, or at least to their potential. They know deep down, heck you guys know deep down, they should have won the game. And if they had shot at least decent, (plenty of open looks) it could have been a statement win.
    But it wasn't, so we move on.
    As for the game itself, three problems continued for the Heels.
    Nobody is shooting well, or well enough, from the outside. Nobody.
    Foul shooting is weak.
    And the main problem for that game, focus. This team has to get in the moment and just play to their potential. This is a really good defensive team, but the defense did not extend past the 3pt line, which allowed open looks that Duke drained. Watch Duke's next game, Duke's kids have range. It's rare a 3 comes from a toe at the line, they square up from another two feet back. UNC's lack of focus failed to recognize that, it's like they refuse to believe someone will take, much less make it from that distance, even though we know the coaches have preached to them to get out there.
    From the Duke perspective, it was a great individual performance from Rivers. I'd be concerned that there is very little of an offensive post game against a good front line, which means Duke will have to continue to depend on exceptional outside shooting against good teams. That's got to catch up to them somewhere down the line.
    Duke earned that win with inspired play, and UNC deserved to lose with an inability to close it out.
    Now comes the point in the season where we know everyone's weakness, both sides. Who can get better?
    Battles are won and lost, and we hate to lose battles, but the war is who can win it all in the tournament and we see who can successfully impose their will to win.
    UNC is 21-4 and yet to play well in my book, ever the optimist, I think things are gonna come together soon.

I am so tired...

Of hearing how much better Carowina is and they should have won this game. It has been said all week long by Carowina fans and most of the media. In fact Goatlieb and Katz were just talking about it on the rival week wrap up show. Goatlieb said Carowina was the better team that dominated Duke forr 38 minutes and just let Duke come back with poor play and Katz agreed. This is just simply not the case. Maybe I am remembering with Duke blue glasses...but it seemed to me a tale of two 1/2's. Duke dominated the first 18 minutes and UNC came back in the last 2 minutes to take a 3 point lead at half time. The second half UNC dominated the first 18 minutes only to let Duke come back and win by 1. How is that UNC dominating the entire game? Seems to me two very talented teams went toe to toe and the better team won.

The talent on the two teams are equal...period. The difference is we have the better coach. Please commentators stop trying to shove UNC and the black falcon down my throat.

If I had a dime....

For every time I heard a hole fan say "I think things are gonna come together soon" or "oh just wait" blah blah blah....

They are like broken records, can't live in the present unless it's with a win. They keep their heads in the future and in denial lol.

That's ok though because Duke owns unc...end of story.

"In K I trust"

My apologies in advance:Rerun

I posted this on the pre game thread and with a minor edit here it is:

Keep in mind!!!
    This is not to diminish nc's obvious talent!

Some of the key components of this team lays claim to :
    2010 NIT runner up status and some remarkable recent inconsistencies of their own!!

Which brings us to another Classic game!!
    A great rivalry!!!

Intangibles are at the heart of this game, when I think of "who" i would prefer to "manage" the intangibles,
    We don't have to look very far... Cause... We got him!!!

It's that time of the year... I heard on local radio this Am, that college basketball season starts tonight!,
    Pretty funny, and maybe prophetic...

9F ad infinitium...

I stand by that post and At least I enjoyed revisiting it, I hope you agree!

Regarding coaching, I just want to cite that w/o timeouts and TT is called for the eliminating foul on Zeller, K, calls the troops over and lays out 2 options based on being either 2 or 3 behind and the team knew what to execute... My friends on DBR, as we are all so thankfully aware....THAT is coaching!!!!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by millerecu View Post
    Of hearing how much better Carowina is and they should have won this game. It has been said all week long by Carowina fans and most of the media. In fact Goatlieb and Katz were just talking about it on the rival week wrap up show. Goatlieb said Carowina was the better team that dominated Duke forr 38 minutes and just let Duke come back with poor play and Katz agreed. This is just simply not the case. Maybe I am remembering with Duke blue glasses...but it seemed to me a tale of two 1/2's. Duke dominated the first 18 minutes and UNC came back in the last 2 minutes to take a 3 point lead at half time. The second half UNC dominated the first 18 minutes only to let Duke come back and win by 1. How is that UNC dominating the entire game? Seems to me two very talented teams went toe to toe and the better team won.

The talent on the two teams are equal...period. The difference is we have the better coach. Please commentators stop trying to shove UNC and the black falcon down my throat.
    Saw that. I loved how they said kerlina beat duke in every statistical category except one... 3-pt shooting. Well, I guess they forgot about points being a relatively important stat!

Astute!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Saw that. I loved how they said kerlina beat duke in every statistical category except one... 3-pt shooting. Well, I guess they forgot about points being a relatively important stat!
    Very astute observation! (lol)

It does tend to be an important metric, and it seems to take a prominent position on the scoreboard!

Sometimes it's the simple explanations that bring about the most clarity!!

Great post, had a huge laugh!!!
    Let's go DUKE !!!