Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Watched with a Tar Heel neighbor. Sucked it up in the second half when we were getting owned.

Can any DBR fan tell me the last game we won on a last second shot? All I remember is Dockery from half court... Or the last time we won a game we were "supposed" to lose?

Very satisfying game. Played a great first half and great last five minutes. Could be a season changing game. GO DUKE! 9F 9F 9F!!!
    The Duhon layup against UNC:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...020504aaa.html

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    The ESPN guys, Vitale and Bilas especially, were roasting Zeller in the post-game. Look at the replay, after the pick/switch (which I'm sure was called by coach Roy before-hand - "switch on all picks at the end") as he thinks AR is going to drive and keeps his hands down by his side the whole time until AR launches the shot. Honestly, I don't blame them for switching at the end, but Zeller coulda done a much better job of bothering that shot - gotta be aware of how much time is left.
    The chattering heads are roasting Zeller because it's the easy thing to do. Zeller did have a hand in his face when he shot the ball. It was not terrible defense. Give Austin some credit, he shot it over a seven-footer with a hand in his face. If Zeller had crowded Austin with his arms up, then AR simply jumps into Zeller and gets to shoot free throws. Then Zeller would be an even bigger goat.

Any well-coached basketball team will switch everything in the last few seconds, they don't need to be told that.

Let's hope this is the spark that carries this team to great heights. Did anybody else notice that Andre was the first celebrant to reach Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Have a little faith gang. I'm not saying I knew we'd win this game, but man... It was fun rooting for our guys the whole time instead of vilifying them.
    I'm glad somebody said this. The in-game thread was disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    In 45 years, I can't think of a better Duke comeback against Carolina. (Anyone else
    remember a better one?)
    I don't know about better -- hard to get better than a winning shot at the buzzer -- but we came back from a larger deficit just last season.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    - having Zeller guard Rivers on the last possession rather than Henson.
    As others have mentioned, this wasn't a coaching error. Zeller switched on to Rivers after a screen.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    ...OR the team can regress back to the team that doesn't give 100% effort and lay another egg leading to another loss.

I'm really interested to see how the team comes out Saturday. Do they come out on FIRE with passion/energy or do they revert back to the team that will be a no show for large periods of time.
    Nice to see that some people can keep their negative attitude, even after a win like that.

Watched with a Tar Heel neighbor. Sucked it up in the second half when we were getting owned.

Can any DBR fan tell me the last game we won on a last second shot? All I remember is Dockery from half court... Or the last time we won a game we were "supposed" to lose?

Very satisfying game. Played a great first half and great last five minutes. Could be a season changing game. GO DUKE! 9F 9F 9F!!!
    Last buzzer beater was Dave McClure against Clemson in Jan. 2007. I remember being at that game in Cameron. Can't really compare to this though!!!!!! ICE IN THE VEINS. My voice is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    That wasn't truly last second. There was still time left. I can't think of one where there were all zeros when the ball went through the net to win it.

Watch the replay again!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    It was below the rim when he hit it.
    Just watching ESPN again. From a floor level angle, the ball was without question "higher" than the rim when he touched it. The only question was whether any portion of the ball was over the "cylinder", which was close but looked like it was not.

Not many that we are "supposed" to lose.

If you go by seedings/rankings, UConn in 1990.

Did not see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianesboy View Post
    *clicks link*

*clicks 'Bookmark this page'*

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Not many that we are "supposed" to lose.
    Precisely my point. Goodness that was sweet.

Austin makes me insane sometimes, but I would rather have him on my team than to have to play against him. Games like this will make me a fan very quickly.

As I said before THANK YOU DUKE for making my neighbor tolerable for a few weeks!

Most satisfying win I can remember in many years.

And the ESPY goes to Stuart Scott

for going on SportsCenter seconds after Rivers shot, keeping a stiff upper lip and doing a semi-professional job of pretending that he wasn't dying inside.

(Scott Van Pelt said his 1st reaction to the shot was that he would be doing SportsCenter by himself, without Stuart Scott. Van Pelt also flashed back to his own Jay Williams-administered "gone in 69 seconds" nightmare at his alma mater, Maryland.)

Can this finally -- FINALLY!!!! -- bury the ridiculous notion that Rivers is some sort of flawed, selfish player? I'm sick of hearing about his shot selection -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about his decision-making -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about how he doesn't make his teammates better -- he does. I'm sick of hearing about his attitude or whatever -- it doesn't exist. People get so carried away with memes that they forget to check whether they're actually, you know, true or not. I love Seth Davis -- seriously, a great guy -- but this is utter nonsense.

Rivers is still learning the game, but he's a totally awesome basketball player and a true leader with a fantastic personality. That's all there is to it. And that was true long before he hit a game-winning shot.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(sorry that post had no substance -- but it did.)

I was talking to a girl I know who has seats pretty close to the floor in the Dome, and she said that Thornton was just nasty the whole game. I don't like Tyler as a starting Duke point guard, I rarely like him on the court and I think my posting has conveyed that belief. However, hearing that he was all in Henson's grill the entire night, lot of f-bombs and calling him a part of a certain gender's anatomy, has endeared me a little more to him. I didn't think we had any nasty players on the team, and even if I don't think he's very good player or leader for that matter, I do think there's something to be said about having a little a-hole on the court to get into other players, and I assume that that's why K has him in there so often. He's not dirty, but he's mean... I like that, and he's mean in the way that no one else knows he's mean. Awesome game, big time win. When AR pulled up, the stadium went quiet, I yelled "good" and got 3 water bottles thrown at me... Worth it.

Go to hell Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Can this finally -- FINALLY!!!! -- bury the ridiculous notion that Rivers is some sort of flawed, selfish player? I'm sick of hearing about his shot selection -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about his decision-making -- which is fine. I'm sick of hearing about how he doesn't make his teammates better -- he does. I'm sick of hearing about his attitude or whatever -- it doesn't exist. People get so carried away with memes that they forget to check whether they're actually, you know, true or not. I love Seth Davis -- seriously, a great guy -- but this is utter nonsense.

Rivers is still learning the game, but he's a totally awesome basketball player and a true leader with a fantastic personality. That's all there is to it. And that was true long before he hit a game-winning shot.
    Just to play Devil's advocate (can I even say that on a Blue Devils' forum?)...

What if Rivers misses most of the ill-advised 3 pointers like he has in other games this season? Would you be saying the same thing?

I've grown to love the kid, even before this game. But he does tend to try to force the issue. Once he gets it all figured out, game on!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I was talking to a girl I know who has seats pretty close to the floor in the Dome, and she said that Thornton was just nasty the whole game. I don't like Tyler as a starting Duke point guard, I rarely like him on the court and I think my posting has conveyed that belief. However, hearing that he was all in Henson's grill the entire night, lot of f-bombs and calling him a part of a certain gender's anatomy, has endeared me a little more to him. I didn't think we had any nasty players on the team, and even if I don't think he's very good player or leader for that matter, I do think there's something to be said about having a little a-hole on the court to get into other players, and I assume that that's why K has him in there so often. He's not dirty, but he's mean... I like that, and he's mean in the way that no one else knows he's mean. Awesome game, big time win. When AR pulled up, the stadium went quiet, I yelled "good" and got 3 water bottles thrown at me... Worth it.

Go to hell Carolina
    Awesome.

Thornton... the "thorn" in our opponents' sides. Love it!

IC

My access was revoked because I asked in 2010 if anyone was having a NIT Selection Show Viewing Party.

boy they are touchy.

I do think someone needs to post a link to Austin's shot as a service for anyone who missed it.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    for going on SportsCenter seconds after Rivers shot, keeping a stiff upper lip and doing a semi-professional job of pretending that he wasn't dying inside.

(Scott Van Pelt said his 1st reaction to the shot was that he would be doing SportsCenter by himself, without Stuart Scott. Van Pelt also flashed back to his own Jay Williams-administered "gone in 69 seconds" nightmare at his alma mater, Maryland.)
    Second this. I'm not usually a fan of Stuart Scott, but I have to give him credit. That had to hurt and he did really well, considering.