Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Not giving me too much confidence. Need to have Josh ready in case we get in trouble.
    I am having a hard time envisioning a scenario where Josh Hairston guards Harrison Barnes. Sure it could happen for a possession here or there due to defenders switching on screens, but primary responsibility for defending Barnes will belong to whoever is playing wing guard/small forward. Andre Dawkins and Austin Rivers primarily fill that role. Perhaps Mike Gbinije makes an appearance but he hasn't seen much action recently.
    Bob Green

The North Carolina newspapers I've seen sure are mentioning a lot about Harrison Barnes' ankle injury.

As usual, many of the in-state media are carrying the water for the Heels. They've got an excuse in place for a loss, and a storyline for a win (Barnes shakes off ankle injury, scores 20+, etc.).
    Going back to the days of Dean in this rivalry, one side talks a lot about their injuries or illnesses and the other does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    A lot has already been posted about our matchups in the coming game, with the thought being that our front court is fairly close in ability and with our backcourt and small forward situation being a matchup conundrum. Without saying more about that, it is worth observing that our coaching staff attempted to recruit to alleviate the very problem we as fans have been trying to suggest remedies for. We did recruit two small forward players in Michael and Alex with both size and mobility. Both were well regarded recruits but neither has yet shown these abilities in game situations. With 23 games behind us now and with the exhibitions, foreign games and practice time, I would have expected more development to have taken place. How long will it take to move these players along? Is it strength, confidence, natural ability?

Think about how well we might match up with Austin, Seth/Andre and Michael/Alex in the lineup. With this selection we also would have two excellent PG backups as substitutions. Depending on the outcome of Wednesday night's game, perhaps coach K will need to reevaluate bringing Michael/Alex along while perhaps taking some lumps along the way as they make their inevitable mistakes in game situations.
    Players can't "show their abilities" in game situations if they can't get off the bench. I think it's way too late to throw either MG or AM into the fire like that because what would it do to their confidence if they played poorly in such a heated rivalry. I've been wishing for Silent G to get "some" playing time since conference play started but it hasn't happen. As a fan I'm disappointed in this but I'm sure the coaching staff know what they are doing. However, like you, I would like to know what MG's deficiency is...strength, confidence, natural ability?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The North Carolina newspapers I've seen sure are mentioning a lot about Harrison Barnes' ankle injury.

As usual, many of the in-state media are carrying the water for the Heels. They've got an excuse in place for a loss, and a storyline for a win (Barnes shakes off ankle injury, scores 20+, etc.).
    Going back to the days of Dean in this rivalry, one side talks a lot about their injuries or illnesses and the other does not.
    BAU - on both counts. And we know ole Huck is prickly about it - witness his outburst around the K misquote from 3-4 years ago, "Some people should worry about coaching their own damn team..."

Ha! (dagummit)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Perhaps Mike Gbinije makes an appearance but he hasn't seen much action recently.
    I think it's been three weeks since he got in a game at all. Possible he makes an appearance if he's over his illness, but it's hard to imagine him getting significant time tonight.

UNC and All-ACC Choices

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The guys on the ESPN-U doing the Clemson-Maryland game named their All-ACC team:

Marshall - UNC ("obvious because he is one of the national leaders in assists")
    Scott -UVa
    Zeller - UNC
    Stoglin - Md (he was busy lighting up the scoreboard at the time)
    And, somewhat reluctantly, Barnes - UNC.
    And now we have a second halftime team, courtesy of Jim Young of ACC Sports --

Zeller, UNC
    Henson, UNC
    Scott, UVa
    Stoglin, Md
    Snaer, FSU

Young had eight players forming a second team:

Marshall and Barnes, UNC
    Lorenzo B., State
    Mason and Austin, Duke
    Kadji, Miami
    McKie and Harris, Wake (whom he downgraded based on team's poor performance)

Realistically, UNC could get four guys on the first team, unless its team play fades. They're the best-known names in the league, and it also seems like teams in the core ACC area get favored in such votes. If Duke is roaring by the end of the season, Mason or Austin could get picked. And Snaer could sneak in as a concession to FSU's good year.

Sorry for the digression, but I think the rep of the UNC players has little bearing on this evening's game. I look for a Duke win, with the big guys playing Zeller and Henson to a draw and Seth, Andre and Austin outscoring Barnes. I am also encouraged by Al's story on the Front Page.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Andre Dawkins will guard Barnes. It's the match-up which could determine the game's outcome.
    The more I read, the more I think Bob is right. Barnes will probably get a mix of Dawkins and Rivers and the extent to which they can slow him down will be critical to the outcome. Also, I think Dawkins might be able to slow down Barnes' offense with good offense of his own. Barnes is not the best at chasing guys all over the floor, so if Dawkins can get rolling early it could be key. I'm not sure how serious Barnes' ankle injury is, but it will probably make it a little tougher if Dawkins, or whomever Barnes is guarding, is really active off the ball.

I guess the same holds for both Dawkins and Kelly. Both can hit some shots that will open things up for the rest of the team, but both have also been known to be defensive liabilities and to disappear for stretches of a game. Let's hope they clang a few early, get burned on D, and spend much of the game on the bench.

So True....

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

This post is spot on. If they lose then all their crybaby fans will do like they did a few seasons ago with the whole "it's a rebuilding year, we lost all our talent to the NBA", like unc is the only school to rebuild. I can recall not only that pathetic saying but others such as "oh so and so was hurt" or my favorite "oh wait until next year". However when they manage to win it's all you hear, they come out in droves. So predictable...

With that being said I expect every last Tar Heel to be in hiding come tomorrow morning after Duke goes into the Dump Dome and shoots lights out!

Countdown To The Greatest Rivalry in Sports

Mason's slam

Can anyone point me to the picture of the Mason reverse slam at the Dean Dome? You know, the one with the visible horror and pearl clutching of the whine and cheese crowd in the background?

I thought I saw it here. I did search for it, so I apologize.

I think it would help get us in the right frame of mind.

Thanks in advance.

GTHC

I wouldn't mind seeing Austin go ahead and help Barnes out with that ankle injury via a nasty crossover.

GO DUKE!!!

UNC-Duke by the Numbers

Among the most amazing to me is...

"Wednesday’s game will be the 133rd straight in which one team is nationally ranked, which dates back to 1960. Amazingly, at least one of the teams has been in the top 10 in 121 of those games"

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/02...blockID=661986

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Among the most amazing to me is...

"Wednesday’s game will be the 133rd straight in which one team is nationally ranked, which dates back to 1960. Amazingly, at least one of the teams has been in the top 10 in 121 of those games"

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/02...blockID=661986
    According to Al Featherston, "either Duke or UNC has been ranked in 149 straight matchups – every one since Feb. 25, 1955."

The other thing I found most interesting in Mr. Featherston's article was this quote from Harrison Barnes:

“With a matchup like this, you have to take advantage of it. If somebody 6-4 is guarding me, obviously the thing to do is to put me in the post and just create off that. If they double-team, you pass out and if they don’t, you score.”
    If Barnes tries to do this, I think it takes away his most potent weapon, his three-point shot. Also, Bullock will probably be thinking the same thing, since he's taller than Barnes and will either also be guarded by a 6'4 defender or often much shorter than that. And if everybody's inside, who are they going to kick out to? Duke can just pack it in and force Marshall to shoot over us. For that matter, even if Bullock stays outside, I'd rather have Barnes kicking out to Bullock and Marshall than shooting himself. This could be an added wrinkle in the game, but I'm not sure who it favors.

I don't think it makes much sense for Barnes to spend much time posting up, regardless of who's on him. UNC's already got two effective post players, and there's only so much room in the paint.

The advantage Barnes has over a shorter defender is the ability to shoot over him.

Keep in mind!!!

This is not to diminish nc's obvious talent!

The main components of this team lays claim to :
    2010 NIT runner up status and some remarkable recent inconsistencies of their own!!

Which brings us to another Classic game!!
    A great rivalry!!!

Intangibles are at the heart of this game, when I think of "who" i would prefer to "manage" the intangibles,
    We don't have to look very far... Cause... We got him!!!

It's that time of the year... I heard on local radio this Am, that college basketball season starts tonight!,
    Pretty funny, and maybe prophetic...

9F ad infinitium...
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    According to Al Featherston, "either Duke or UNC has been ranked in 149 straight matchups – every one since Feb. 25, 1955."

The other thing I found most interesting in Mr. Featherston's article was this quote from Harrison Barnes:

If Barnes tries to do this, I think it takes away his most potent weapon, his three-point shot. Also, Bullock will probably be thinking the same thing, since he's taller than Barnes and will either also be guarded by a 6'4 defender or often much shorter than that. And if everybody's inside, who are they going to kick out to? Duke can just pack it in and force Marshall to shoot over us. For that matter, even if Bullock stays outside, I'd rather have Barnes kicking out to Bullock and Marshall than shooting himself. This could be an added wrinkle in the game, but I'm not sure who it favors.
    You know we could always just go zone and force UNC to become jump shooters.... oh wait, sorry I lost my senses there for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If Barnes is shooting three-pointers, I want him taking them from the left angle, not the right.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/02/...yer-by-player/

Mason

MasonPlumleeReverseDunkVsUNC.jpg

Sorry for the fixation. Is this it, or is there a better one? Like to see some powder blue shock, horror, indignation tonight. Go Duke.

'Whistling Past the Graveyard?'

I am intrigued about Duke's very good play in the last month away from Cameron and the possibility that this will continue tonight.

Also, why is this team so reluctant to accept the obvious home-court advantage at Cameron?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am intrigued about Duke's very good play in the last month away from Cameron and the possibility that this will continue tonight.

Also, why is this team so reluctant to accept the obvious home-court advantage at Cameron?

sagegrouse
    Could be as others mentioned in the thread addressed to Jim, that our guys feel like just showing up in a Duke uniform is enough. It has that feel to it doesn't it? The problem with this team that I have is that you should only have to learn that lesson once, not multiple times... After the St Johns' game we should not see what we saw in the first half of the Miami game.