Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Kidd won a championship last year with the Mavericks... Nash is the only NBA MVP never to reach an NBA Finals
    Well, yes, but we were speaking of college championships. And even if you want to include NBA, Kidd won one in the twilight of his career, when he was no longer a dominant PG, and Nash and Stockton never won one at all.

The original poster said, "In championship years, teams with outstanding or quality point guards are usually the winners." My point was that while it certainly helps to have a great PG, it is neither necessary nor sufficient. The Nash/Kidd/Stockton line was talking about the sufficient part.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Kidd won a championship last year with the Mavericks... Nash is the only NBA MVP never to reach an NBA Finals
    lol what? This is college ball not the pros

Damn

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Ha, ha. I guess since I'm on the visiting team, so to speak, I'll defer and henceforth call him Zeller. I know the feeling, by the way. Last night an announcer referred to a Missouri player as "Butter" and for a second I was actually pissed that he was trying to steal Marshall's nickname. That's when you know you're a little to into your team.
    That's almost too gracious for me to replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyduke View Post
    I love Duke ... always have, but if anybody thinks that Duke can win tomorrow night, they're delusional. Sorry ... that's the way I see it. But I gotta say "GO DUKE"!
    It posters like this that should not be posting anything... smh

Why do you say this? Do you have any found basis? Are you psychic and can tell us what happened already? Did the game already get played and I missed it?

Look Duke has a chance tomorrow even though it is away. UNC does not defend the 3 well at all and thank goodness it is our strength. Our weakness is we allow to much penetration and luckily UNC does not drive inside very much since they prefer Marshall to pass.

Wishing for the same thing I want to see every time we play UNC: get back on defense. No fast break layups off of our made FGs. Austin and Seth in particular need to keep this in mind when they drive to the basket. Our bigs too - no getting beat down the court by their bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    Wishing for the same thing I want to see every time we play UNC: get back on defense. No fast break layups off of our made FGs. Austin and Seth in particular need to keep this in mind when they drive to the basket. Our bigs too - no getting beat down the court by their bigs.
    Agreed, but I'm pretty sure the coaching staff is aware of this, too.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Who will guard Barnes?
    Andre Dawkins will guard Barnes. It's the match-up which could determine the game's outcome.
    Bob Green

I think it may make some sense for Kelly to guard Zeller while Mason guards Henson. Mason is more mobile, and I think Ryan has shown glimpses of some tough post D in earlier games. Unfortunately, over the past five games or so it seems like all he wants to do is draw charges, so if we're not getting that whistle then he'll have to hold his ground. If we double-team in the post then it will be important for our 3-man to rotate over to keep the other post man off the offensive boards, but that's kind of a tough situation because that guy will be guarding Barnes. Yikes! I'm getting a headache just trying to figure out how we're going to do this. Maybe throw in some zone?

The Vegas line currently has Carolina favored by 7 points with the over/under set at 160.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

We should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 84-77. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Andre Dawkins will guard Barnes. It's the match-up which could determine the game's outcome.
    IIRC, Andre did okay with this assignment in part of at least one of last year's games. When he is fully focused, he can be fairly effective at keeping players from getting the ball, although Marshall's passing skill will make that a challenge.

I Guess 'It's Over'

The guys on the ESPN-U doing the Clemson-Maryland game named their All-ACC team:

Marshall - UNC ("obvious because he is one of the national leaders in assists")
    Scott -UVa
    Zeller - UNC
    Stoglin - Md (he was busy lighting up the scoreboard at the time)
    And, somewhat reluctantly, Barnes - UNC.

I guess we don't have a chance tomorrow against three first-team All-ACC players.

Bring it on!

sagegrouse
    'BTW, Andre Young was put on the line with ten seconds left with three FTs and his team trailing by 3. The 89% FT shooter missed the first two'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The guys on the ESPN-U doing the Clemson-Maryland game named their All-ACC team:

Marshall - UNC ("obvious because he is one of the national leaders in assists")
    Scott -UVa
    Zeller - UNC
    Stoglin - Md (he was busy lighting up the scoreboard at the time)
    And, somewhat reluctantly, Barnes - UNC.

I guess we don't have a chance tomorrow against three first-team All-ACC players.

Bring it on!
    Kind of funny since I think Henson is their best player.

I have no doubt that Carolina has some of the best talent in the conference.

I have no doubt that we can beat them Wednesday.

Two different issues.

Go Duke, Go To Helll Carolina.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The Vegas line currently has Carolina favored by 7 points with the over/under set at 160.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

We should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 84-77. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Fun Factoid- In the last 75 Duke/UNC games Duke has scored exactly 1 more total point than UNC. Something like 5758 to 5757 or something. In those 75 games, Duke has won 38 games and UNC has won 37. If UNC somehow wins by 1 point tomorrow night, they will be dead even in games and points over the last 76 games. That is just bizarre.

I think Mason will be "huge". He seems to play with focus on the road. And after that game with Miami and Johnson, I think he's ready. Someone posted that the announcers (one of them, at least) kept repeating how, when he asked Mason "who's the toughest player to play against in the ACC", Mason responded without hesitation that it was Johnson. I think Johnson "got into his head". Mason wasn't the same player the whole game. And, Mason was ACC Player of the Week before that Miami game. So, not only is this a road game, Mason is ready to take it to them... and he can do it. Can't wait. GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    It posters like this that should not be posting anything... smh

Why do you say this? Do you have any found basis? Are you psychic and can tell us what happened already? Did the game already get played and I missed it?

Look Duke has a chance tomorrow even though it is away. UNC does not defend the 3 well at all and thank goodness it is our strength. Our weakness is we allow to much penetration and luckily UNC does not drive inside very much since they prefer Marshall to pass.
    Clearly, reverse weaufing is an unproven technique. But still, it's worth a try.

If Andre stays out of foul trouble....in an earlier thread I said that I thought that Andre would win a game for us with his defense. This was the game I pointing towards.

Andre is pretty strong at ball denial and Barnes is a bit soft and not quicker than Andre. And Barnes will have to chase Andre - they simply can't afford to let Andre go off. UNC probably figures that Seth and Austin get their points and will make them work for them but they need to keep Andre (or Quin or Tyler but they're less likely to go off) from being that supporting offensive player that puts Duke over the top.

Offensively, Ryan could be that guy too. Last year against UNC, it seemed like Ryan couldn't buy a bucket which allowed Henson to sag in and guard penetration. If Ryan can hit a few early shots, I'll be very encouraged.

The other wild card is Miles. A much stronger player than anybody at UNC and he has played well against them in the past.
    Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-07-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: an inbred inability to properly proof read.

Welp it is officially Wednesday... Those poor poor heels

More on matchups

A lot has already been posted about our matchups in the coming game, with the thought being that our front court is fairly close in ability and with our backcourt and small forward situation being a matchup conundrum. Without saying more about that, it is worth observing that our coaching staff attempted to recruit to alleviate the very problem we as fans have been trying to suggest remedies for. We did recruit two small forward players in Michael and Alex with both size and mobility. Both were well regarded recruits but neither has yet shown these abilities in game situations. With 23 games behind us now and with the exhibitions, foreign games and practice time, I would have expected more development to have taken place. How long will it take to move these players along? Is it strength, confidence, natural ability?

Think about how well we might match up with Austin, Seth/Andre and Michael/Alex in the lineup. With this selection we also would have two excellent PG backups as substitutions. Depending on the outcome of Wednesday night's game, perhaps coach K will need to reevaluate bringing Michael/Alex along while perhaps taking some lumps along the way as they make their inevitable mistakes in game situations.

Not giving me too much confidence. Need to have Josh ready in case we get in trouble.