Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke vs. UNC 2-8-12 Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I'm afraid this is gonna be ugly...i'll be happy to come in here and eat crow, but if we can't shoot well, i think they are gonna hammer us...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Two ways we could go:
    (1) Bummed and dejected and "defeated" by a game (and poor performance) at home that we should not have lost;
    or (2) Pissed off and angry and now, finally, fired-up and focused for the big rivalry game against a fellow-top-10 opponent in their house.

We have the ability to beat these guys - hell, FSU BLEW THEM OUT BY 30+ - and at least they don't have any 6'10" 285lb behemoths to worry about inside. And they DO have some specific vulnerabilities. BUT they are overall quite talented, and you have to expect that (while they haven't always been so) they will come in focused for Duke. You could easily see this as an interior-focused team vs one that is usually quite strong on the perimeter.

I'm jazzed for this game. As a glass-half-full guy, I see this as a perfectly timed OPPORTUNITY, where a big-time win in this one would be lifting us out of the doldrums. A great chance here...

Questions for Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm afraid this is gonna be ugly...i'll be happy to come in here and eat crow, but if we can't shoot well, i think they are gonna hammer us...

To me, here are the questions:

1. Big Guys, Part I: Can Dukes bigs control Zeller and Henson on the defensive end?
    2. Big Guys, Part II: Can Mason and Ryan score against the Heels large front line? This is a real test for both of them.
    3. Can Duke make outside shots? We need Seth, Andre and the rest to have a good game.
    4. How well does Duke defend Barnes? He will have a size advantage over the 6-4 Andre and Austin. Will he take advantage of it?
    5. Same question, really, for Bullock and Marshall, who are larger than their defenders.
    6. Intangibles: This game is really about these, isn't it? Can Duke spring back from an embarrassing home loss? Will UNC be lulled into a false sense of security?

sagegrouse

My keys to the game are:

1. UNC perimeter D. We've shown that we can be good against the three, and we have the length to bother your shooters, but we've also had games in which we have guarded the perimeter poorly. You have shooters good enough to hit threes even if they are contested, so if you are hot or we are playing soft D, things could go your way. Rivers could be key here- if he can penetrate consistently and kick to the open man, he could break down our D and open things for your shooters.

2. Duke's defensive rebounding. I don't have numbers to support it, but my sense is that our first-shot offense is just not that good. It can be- we have plenty of scorers- but on a lot of nights we rely heavily on put-backs and offensive rebounds. PJ remains in a slump, Bullock is streaky, and Marshall cannot be counted on to score. If the Plumbs can limit our second chance opportunities, our O might stagnate.

For me a wildcard is your team's mentality. I wrote about this in another thread, but after yesterday it's very possible that you guys might come out of the UM game with shaky confidence that will make a road victory awfully difficult. On the other hand, you did a lot of things well in the second half and you could come out and show the intensity of the second half (or VaTech game), in which case anything is possible. I just don't know what to expect.

The players I will be most interested in watching are Barnes and Mason. SIngler was great on Barnes last year and I don't know who you will have to match up on him this year. Mason did not play well against us last year, but is much improved this year. Still, Henson and Z are a lot for him to handle. If he does not score efficiently, it puts an awful lot of pressure on your outside shooting.

Seriously?

One thing I see that gives me a great feeling about Weds game is if their is a team in the ACC that cant guard the perimeter as bad as us its UNC. We will be able to get any shot we want we just have to knock them down and Seth shot great the last game.. I would put Andre, Seth, Austin and Ryan around the perimeter and give the ball to Austin and tell him to create. Marshall cant guard a trash can we should be able to take him off the dribble and create a shot. Plus pulling Zeller out of the lane may help us rebound but Ryan has to knock it down

Zeller is playing as good as anyone in the country right now so we need to try something different on D. What that is I dont know thats why I am here getting ready to go to work and not on the bench. I got a feeling this might be the highest scoring Duke-UNC game we have seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    One thing I see that gives me a great feeling about Weds game is if their is a team in the ACC that cant guard the perimeter as bad as us its UNC. We will be able to get any shot we want.
    I'm not sure UNC's defense is as bad as we say/wish it is. In fact their defense is probably much better than ours. Sure they've looked bad in their 3 losses but that's true of every team that loses. Their defense is ranked #14 in adjusted efficiency while ours dropped back into the 90s after this weekend.

Anything can happen, but I think UNC is a clear favorite in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    I'm not sure UNC's defense is as bad as we say/wish it is. In fact their defense is probably much better than ours. Sure they've looked bad in their 3 losses but that's true of every team that loses. Their defense is ranked #14 in adjusted efficiency while ours dropped back into the 90s after this weekend.

Anything can happen, but I think UNC is a clear favorite in this game.

They do have a much better defense than us, that is true. Their bigs help them out a lot more with Henson and Zeller. I'm not bashing the Plumlee's or Kelly, Im just saying from a defensive standpoint, these guys are better. They don't have the greatest backcourt so I think we have that going for us. Our achilles heel is definitely stopping guards from penetrating into the lane and I don't know if UNC has the personnel to take advantage. It will come down to the battle of the bigs. I feel like the past few years against UNC, they have had their way down low with Henson and Zeller so if the Plums can hold their own, rebound, get a few blocks and get one of them in foul trouble, we have a great shot of winning.

Ok...at a big tourney and can't post except from phone and it sucks.
    Moonpies got it right, i'd say.
    It's gonna be all about shooting.
    If unc has a good, or even ok, outside shooting night, Duke is in trouble.
    If Duke has a hot shooting night, they can certainly win.
    Duke will have to watch fouls, Heels are coming inside. After reading some of this weeks threads, the whinning could get to be epic around here!
    Duke will come in ready,i have no doubt. Will UNC be focused? You'd think, but they are a hard team to figure sometimes.
    One other thing I think could be key, will Kendall attack the rim? (yes)...will he finish?
    Matchup to watch...Bullock/Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    After reading some of this weeks threads, the whinning could get to be epic around here!

You mean like the kind of whining over at IC after the 33 point beat down FSU gave your holes?

(never mind)
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 02-06-2012 at 10:02 PM.

I made a wager with my son the UNC fan that UNC would not sweep Duke this year... after Sunday I started to regret the bet... here's hoping that the boys pull together and play a full 40 minutes of hard nosed ball. I really don't want to wear that UNC tee shirt to work....

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    after Sunday I started to regret the bet...
    Never regret that bet. Even if you lose.

...but I think you're going to win (if not tomorrow then the next game).

Duke and UNC's recruits' predictions on the upcoming game...

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...-the-rivlary-2

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The only part of this thread I've read started with "I'm afraid". I'm not. I'm stoked...it's Duke - UNC and it will be a hell of a game. And to top it off, we just got beat on our own court and are probably a little bit pissed off. Bring 'em on, GTHC!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Pray for a miracle that we keep hitting threes. Anybody think Mason is a first round pick? Go Devils...you are exceeding my expectations!!!

their fans fear henson at the line like we used to about mason....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

As many have said, Austin seems to be the only player playing with confidence and passion. Everyone else is timid.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    One thing I see that gives me a great feeling about Weds game is if their is a team in the ACC that cant guard the perimeter as bad as us its UNC. We will be able to get any shot we want we just have to knock them down...
    Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    How our defenses stack up (UNC is listed first):

Overall: 14th vs. 91st
    3P D: 66th vs. 76th
    2PD: 18th vs. 174th

Both defenses are bad at generating turnovers (200+ ranking).

One interesting note is that in conference play you are the 4th best defense against the three, although the ninth overall defense (ouch). We are 9th against the three, but the 2nd overall defense.

Overall we clearly have the defensive advantage, but you are matching a strength against a potential weakness of ours, which could keep things interesting. We are the 6th best 2P offense in the country, so we are also putting our strength against your weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    How our defenses stack up (UNC is listed first):
    Overall: 14th vs. 91st
    3P D: 66th vs. 76th
    2PD: 18th vs. 174th
    Both defenses are bad at generating turnovers (200+ ranking).
    Overall we clearly have the defensive advantage, but you are matching a strength against a potential weakness of ours, which could keep things interesting. We are the 6th best 2P offense in the country, so we are also putting our strength against your weakness.
    Disagree about the D "advantage." First, I think we can agree thast BOTH teams have been terrible on D for much of the year. A lot of those rankings have to do with who you've played and the individual match-ups for a given game. Given NC's easier schedule, for example, their relative number may be somewhat "inflated." In any event, NO lead willl be safe in this game for either team, given their offensive prowess and defensive deficiencies.

Duke is now ranked #10 by the AP and NC@ch is ranked #5. Add this one to the large tally of these match-ups where both teams were in the top-10!
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...caa/men/polls/

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Odds we'll see Karl Hess yet again? I think unc hates him (and gets him) almost as much as we do.

-jk
    I'll lay down very good odds that BOTH groups of fans will come away convinced that they got screwed by the refs...
    Unfortunately, we all know which team historically gets all of the calls...(Ha!) At least, which team consistently gets the greatest foul-differential in the ACC every year.

Hint: it ain't Duke.