Unhappy nail in the tire

I got a nail in the driver-side rear tire, not sure from where, but a co-worker had the same problem last month, so maybe it's near where I work...

I thought it was a quick $20 patch job, but at the dealership, they told me I'd have to replace the tire because the nail it on the edge of the tire (it is). I've been to this dealership for service before (Ford of Dublin) and they seem honest enough, but just wanted to see if anyone knows more about this and can verify it. The dealership quoted me $180 for the tire* + $20 service, but I think TireRack.com has it for $115 including shipping - this price difference I already expected.

Also, since this is a relatively new car (~7k miles on it) I wouldn't have to replace both left and right tires to match the tread wear, right?

---
    * BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 235/50ZR18 97W if you're interested
    Last edited by hc5duke; 07-24-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: shipping

You can't fix a tire if the side is damaged. The stresses on the sidewalls will cause it to come 'unfixed' very quickly and sometimes spectacularly.
    With low milegage I replace the bad tire and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I got a nail in the driver-side rear tire, not sure from where, but a co-worker had the same problem last month, so maybe it's near where I work...

I thought it was a quick $20 patch job, but at the dealership, they told me I'd have to replace the tire because the nail it on the edge of the tire (it is). I've been to this dealership for service before (Ford of Dublin) and they seem honest enough, but just wanted to see if anyone knows more about this and can verify it. The dealership quoted me $180 for the tire* + $20 service, but I think TireRack.com has it for $115 including shipping - this price difference I already expected.

Also, since this is a relatively new car (~7k miles on it) I wouldn't have to replace both left and right tires to match the tread wear, right?

---
    * BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 235/50ZR18 97W if you're interested
    Definitely replace the tire. Sidewall puncture repairs are unsafe. I am surprised the dealer would do so. Such repairs will quickly fail at high speed and you could have a blowout. It shouldn't be difficult to find an identical replacement and the milage difference should make no difference. (Had that happen to me, had a 75 MPH blowout, LIVED, replaced the tire!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Definitely replace the tire. Sidewall puncture repairs are unsafe. I am surprised the dealer would do so. Such repairs will quickly fail at high speed and you could have a blowout. It shouldn't be difficult to find an identical replacement and the milage difference should make no difference. (Had that happen to me, had a 75 MPH blowout, LIVED, replaced the tire!!!!!)
    No no, the dealer told me they can't do it. Purchased a new tire online with next day shipping (only $16), and I'll drop it off at the same dealership probably this Thursday or Friday. Thanks!

I know you've done it now...

but in your area, America's Tire Store sells it for $218. That includes installation and valve stem. And your Tirerack.com price is shown as $209 + 16(shipping) + 20(install). (Are you sure you ordered the right tire? $115 seems low.) The dealer's $180 + 20 compares quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    but in your area, America's Tire Store sells it for $218. That includes installation and valve stem. And your Tirerack.com price is shown as $209 + 16(shipping) + 20(install). (Are you sure you ordered the right tire? $115 seems low.) The dealer's $180 + 20 compares quite well.
    I think you were looking at the wrong tire, and not hard to get these two confused...

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 (summer, rated for 186 mph) is $209 each
    BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS (all season, rated for 168 mph) is $100 each

I was relieved when I found out the latter tire is the standard tire. $115 was referring to the $100 + $16, then $20+tax for mounting ~= $140. Good thing our quarterly bonuses came through today... I just have to make sure I don't go more than 168 mph with these tires
    Last edited by hc5duke; 07-25-2007 at 04:21 AM. Reason: reversed the tires

As said above, sort of, punctures in the outside ~1" of tread (or sidewall) will not be fixed by a reputable tire store.

My true story. Back in the day when I had my Maxima ( ) I got a flat in a relatively new Michelin MXV4 and the nail was in the outside tread, so they declined to fix it by rule. I had bought the tire at the local Wal-Mart Tire and Lube express and they replaced it for nearly free with the road hazard warranty they include with tires purchased and mounted there (same goes for Sam's Club, Costco and BJ's). Saved me well over $120. I only had to pay for the new mounting and balancing (and new road hazard warranty). These places can special order tires for you (delivery is usually 1 to 2 weeks). And future rotation and balancing (and flat repairs if needed) are all provided free.

I heartily endorse buying tires at these venues, both for their low pricing and nationwide road hazard warranty service. You might be able to save a few bucks buying tires online, but the security of the warranty and free services are well worth the money. Also, when I get a new vehicle (like my Sonata), the first rotation and balance is at Wal-Mart. For $7.50 per tire (plus tax) I now have life of the tire free rotation and balance, again a very good deal (the road hazard warranty does not apply since they didn't sell me the tire). The only downside to getting service at these places is the waiting time. I get around that by leaving the car about 5 pm and going out to dinner with my wife (we go in our other car) and then picking it up a couple of hours later. In fact, I'm doing this tonight with my wife's minivan.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com