Knock the cover off the ball!

I know it's a virtually impossible scenario, but I'm sitting here watching "The Natural" (haven't seen it in forever) and Roy Hobbs just knocked the cover off the ball, with the cover rolling out to the pitcher's mound and the core rocketing out to the gap in the outfield.

So, if this actually happened in a baseball game, what would the umpires do? Is this covered in the rulebook? The ball suddenly becomes two separate entities - so, which entity serves as "the official ball" in this situation? The core, or the cover?

Interesting.

-EarlJam - who was known to knock the cover off the ball in his day.

Also, Kim Bassinger has a GREAT pair of legs.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I know it's a virtually impossible scenario, but I'm sitting here watching "The Natural" (haven't seen it in forever) and Roy Hobbs just knocked the cover off the ball, with the cover rolling out to the pitcher's mound and the core rocketing out to the gap in the outfield.
    I don't know if it's impossible. Send it in to the folks at "Mythbusters."
    http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...out/about.html

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

So, if this actually happened in a baseball game, what would the umpires do? Is this covered in the rulebook? The ball suddenly becomes two separate entities - so, which entity serves as "the official ball" in this situation? The core, or the cover?

Interesting.

-EarlJam - who was known to knock the cover off the ball in his day.
    My guess is (and this is a complete guess) is that it would result in a ball out of play type of situation, and you would be awarded 1 or 2 bases depending on the situation; e.g. ground rule double gets you 2 bases, an errant ball in the dugout gets you 1 extra from wherever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    My guess is (and this is a complete guess) is that it would result in a ball out of play type of situation, and you would be awarded 1 or 2 bases depending on the situation; e.g. ground rule double gets you 2 bases, an errant ball in the dugout gets you 1 extra from wherever you are.

The ball is live.

After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead. While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts which occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to a balk, an overthrow, interference, or a home run or other fair ball hit out of the playing field).
    Rule 5.02 Comment: Should a ball come partially apart in a game, it is in play until the play is completed

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info..._in_play_5.jsp

So I guess you field the ball (or what's left of it) to the best of your ability.

Strange!

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    The ball is live.

After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead. While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts which occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to a balk, an overthrow, interference, or a home run or other fair ball hit out of the playing field).
    Rule 5.02 Comment: Should a ball come partially apart in a game, it is in play until the play is completed

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info..._in_play_5.jsp

So I guess you field the ball (or what's left of it) to the best of your ability.

Strange!
    The question is -- what exactly is the "ball" that is live? I'd say it is the majority of the ball that is rolling around in the rain soaked outfield. But I'd also say that it would be ruled a ground rule double, while in the movie they allow Roy to remain on third with a triple. By then, all there was was a pile of string - is that the live "ball?"

The better question, EarlJam, is what job do you have that allows you to watch the greatest baseball movie ever (one guy's opinion) at work, and are you hiring? Aren't you the one who's been complaining on this board the last few weeks about work sucking? I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

The better question, EarlJam, is what job do you have that allows you to watch the greatest baseball movie ever (one guy's opinion) at work, and are you hiring? Aren't you the one who's been complaining on this board the last few weeks about work sucking? I am confused.
    First of all, oh no. As someone who works in marketing an PR I know all about branding and such. I do not want to be branded as a "complainer" about work - though, if the shoe fits...

I, no doubt, AM very guilty of riding the Bitter Bus a few too many days of late but I AM also very grateful to have any job (with much needed benefits). But, to the point - and a good one at that - about how I was able to watch the game. I had work being done at the house yesterday and did get to "work from home" from 1:00 - end of day.

I hadn't seen that movie in so long I'd forgotten how good it was. I cracked up when the guy ran through the fence...and it killed him. Great break for Roy Hobbs!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    The question is -- what exactly is the "ball" that is live? I'd say it is the majority of the ball that is rolling around in the rain soaked outfield. But I'd also say that it would be ruled a ground rule double, while in the movie they allow Roy to remain on third with a triple. By then, all there was was a pile of string - is that the live "ball?"
    There is a difference between a ground rule double, like when a batted ball bounces over the outfield fence and all runners get to advance two bases, and a situation requiring an umpire's ruling like the ball coming apart. In that case the umpire can use his judgement and allow a triple, even a home run.

As far as which part of the ball to play? I say play the core; the cover is just a cover.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com