Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB: North Carolina 84, Maryland 73

But they're getting the UNC ref job today...

I agree 100%. Pretty blatant.

UNC leads the ACC in could and FT differential year in and year out. Even 2 years ago when they only won 4 or 5 conference games. Duke hasn't led the conference for over a decade. UNC also has given up the fewest FT attempts in the country this year. Absurd.

And to top all of that off, Henson throws down an unnecessary dunk to finish the game. I hope UMD gets to see them in the ACC tourney.

Classless way to UNC to close it out. Jam with the shot clock off by Henson and then Barnes taunts the crowd.

My favorite call was the phantom foul on Len after the missed Henson dunk. Or the numerous missed pushes under the basket (both on rebounds and made shots).

Whatever, I hate them both. But a 0-0 tie just isn't possible. So, I guess I'd rather see UNC playing off a win rather than a loss come Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Classless way to UNC to close it out. Jam with the shot clock off by Henson and then Barnes taunts the crowd.
    It is amazing what they get away with that would get Duke crucified by the press.

Yeah well, I'm peeved at uva for ch-o-king at fsu.
    Another weenie score thanks to the snoozy uva game offense.

I hear they are considering installing a hockey horn at JPJ in Cville to wake the attendees up whenever the hoos score.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    My favorite call was the phantom foul on Len after the missed Henson dunk. Or the numerous missed pushes under the basket (both on rebounds and made shots).
    I liked the "foul" on Pe'shon Howard when he stole the inbounds pass near the end of the game--and judging from the words I clearly saw cross Mark Turgeon's lips on TV, he liked it about as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I liked the "foul" on Pe'shon Howard when he stole the inbounds pass near the end of the game--and judging from the words I clearly saw cross Mark Turgeon's lips on TV, he liked it about as much as I did.
    It was Faust who made the steal. It was his fifth foul.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I turned it off once I realized it was over. They had their own part in the meltdown... Stoglin's ball hogging, dumb turnovers... but they definitely lost their composure due to the officiating. Weren't they supposed to have home court advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I turned it off once I realized it was over. They had their own part in the meltdown... Stoglin's ball hogging, dumb turnovers... but they definitely lost their composure due to the officiating. Weren't they supposed to have home court advantage?
    Home court advantage against UNC means the fans in the stadium are as ticked about the screw job you're getting from the refs as you are. Of course, for the Maryland team, that means the Maryland players on the bench have to keep ducking in case the batteries thrown from the stands at the refs are accidentally aimed a little low.

I had to cut the sound off during the game because of the cussing coming from the crowd.

Alex Len had a brilliant game today for Maryland. The seven-footer from the Ukraine, who is just a freshman, had 12 points, 9 boards and 4 blocks against UNC's abundantly lengthy and athletic front line. Color me impressed. He might turn into something special. The spindly and fleecy smooth Len (for a man of his stature) certainly has the genetic makeup working to his advantage.

I used to despise Maryland, too, but really haven't much since the Greivis Vasquez's days. Although certainly prone to controversial comments -- "Cameron is my house," etc. -- personally I loved the kid's never-let-up demeanor. Greivis was one of the great characters in the ACC's recent memory and his tireless pursuit of success and veneration a true reflection of his coach, Gary Williams.

I hope Mark T can return the Terrapins to their early 2000s glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I used to despise Maryland, too, but really haven't much since the Greivis Vasquez's days. Although certainly prone to controversial comments -- "Cameron is my house," etc. -- personally I loved the kid's never-let-up demeanor. Greivis was one of the great characters in the ACC's recent memory and his tireless pursuit of success and veneration a true reflection of his coach, Gary Williams.
    I second the emotion. I think Greivis was both a "character" and a fierce competitor... a truly "love to hate" player. I actually started "liking" Maryland with Juan Dixon... I thought he was a fierce competitor, but also classy and gracious... and Gary Williams for recruiting Juan when no one else would touch him with a ten-foot pole. I even remember (somewhat) that there was an ACC alumini game (or some-such) in Cameron, and when Juan was introduced, the Crazies gave his a rousing standing ovation. But, that being said, Maryland and their "treatment" of JJ, etc was not good... between the Juan and Greivis period, I guess?

Maybe it shouldn't be, but my attitude toward anything that happens between those two is "a plague on both your houses."

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Classless way to UNC to close it out. Jam with the shot clock off by Henson...
    I think it's been established that Henson is pretty immature. I want to like him so much more than I do...

After watching UMD, I feel a bit conflicted about the whole situation. Most of their fan base really is the scum of the earth. However, I seem to like most of their current players and I like Turgeon (along with the likes of Bennett, Donahue, etc.). I think the ACC has a very bright future which will also make it very hard on Duke in the future but so be it. But UMD has a very bright future with Faust, Howard, and Len who to be honest if he played more in the Duke game I thought would have gave Duke tons of problems. I won't go as far to say I like UMD but their players seem like players of character. Not to mention, they got absolutely hosed by the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    I think it's been established that Henson is pretty immature. I want to like him so much more than I do...
    A perfect time for the million dollar coaches to actually teach a student something. Somehow I get the feeling that Roy is going to let this opportunity pass though.