Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke hosts Miami on Super Bowl Sunday with tip-off set for 3:05 pm. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200

TV coverage will be provided by ESPNU with Jon Sciambi, Jimmy Dykes and Allison Williams handling the announcing duties.
    Bob Green

Please guys

keep up the intensity and focus you showed against VT. I'm wondering if Josh and Tyler will start. My guess is they will if they have good practice sessions leading up to the game. Josh and Tyler may not have the natural physical ability of some of the other guys, but they always play with fire. No backing down from those two guys and it looked like it was contagious Thursday night. GoDuke!

I'd love to do a detailed breakdown of the specific challenges and weaknesses Miami brings to the table, but this game seems all about Duke. That is to say, what are we bringing to the court today? Are we going to bring the intensity and focus we had against Va Tech? Because, if we do, we should win this game.

Okay, now an attempt to bring our opponent into the picture. Miami's defense is ranked 110 in Kenpom (hey hey, we improved all the way up to 89 after the VT game!). We should be able to get things done both inside and out, and I hope we focus on getting the ball in low. Reggie Johnson needs to get in foul trouble, and if the ball is consistently going inside to Mason and Miles in the first half, or if Austin is getting to the rim on penetration, Johnson's got a good chance to spend a chunk of this game on the pine. Miami's guards are talented, but Grant has been struggling (36% shooting on the year) while Scott has been underwhelming from the 3 (32%). If our perimeter guys can stay in front of those guards, and keep Miami out of the lane, their offense should struggle to score.

That's a few ifs, of course. But our big guys are capable of dominating inside against Miami, and our guards are capable of limiting their perimeter scoring.

Go Duke!

i'll be at the game today...mike patrick sent me tickets...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Kenny Kadji is having an outstanding season, but he is out indefinitely with a head injury. The 6'11" 250 pound center is averaging 12.5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. If he does not play, Reggie Johnson will have his hands full defending our talented inside players. Johnson has had plenty of success against Duke in the past. Last season, he averaged 19 points and 8 rebounds in the two games against the Blue Devils. Of course, the key statistic is always the final score and Duke won both games by double digits.
    Bob Green

The Vegas line currently has Duke as an 11.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 148.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...cfm/team/duke

So we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 80-68.
    Bob Green

I would like to see:

Quinn Cook
    Austin Rivers
    Andre Dawkins
    Josh Hairston
    Mason Plumlee

I think that we can really run with that group and make some noise in march. Only a handful of teams can match the speed and firepower of that group.

Am in northern VA and Coach Larranaga, formerly of Final Four participant George Mason here, is very well thought of in this area. His teams had a rep here of never quitting, and giving maximum effort. I don't follow Miami enough to know if that has translated to his new school. I hope that this doesn't become a "trap" game for Duke, with lots of discussion on-air already focusing on the NC@CH match-up coming up. I doubt it, as they seemed to finally find their mojo against VT. I WANT to believe that the focus and intensity are here to stay. Let's get em in a deep whole early, take the crowd out of it, and get the guys well rested for next week. This seems like a decent match-up for our side.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I would like to see:

Quinn Cook
    Austin Rivers
    Andre Dawkins
    Josh Hairston
    Mason Plumlee

I think that we can really run with that group and make some noise in march. Only a handful of teams can match the speed and firepower of that group.
    I think this projected lineup would be REALLY bad defensively, and that is the weakness of our team. Our defense just improved UP to #89 while our offense has been in the top 5 all year long.

Just Throw the Ball out There...

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    keep up the intensity and focus you showed against VT. I'm wondering if Josh and Tyler will start. My guess is they will if they have good practice sessions leading up to the game. Josh and Tyler may not have the natural physical ability of some of the other guys, but they always play with fire. No backing down from those two guys and it looked like it was contagious Thursday night. GoDuke!
    Duke is at a position now where nine players are seeing significant minutes, and all nine have started at least one game. If the Miami game decides who starts in Chapel Hill, then there should be no letdown of effort against the 'Canes. I guess K will just throw the ball out there and see who wants it most.

Who will be in the starting lineup against the 'Canes? Will Ryan and Seth, both of whom played well (IMHO) in College Park, get the starting nod?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

Hairston played really well in the V-tech game. I think he deserves to start again. Tyler Thornton is good defensively, and so he will probably start.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilfan1998 View Post
    Hairston played really well in the V-tech game. I think he deserves to start again. Tyler Thornton is good defensively, and so he will probably start.
    I would like to see Josh start again too at least for one more game. The way he plays is contagious and hopefully the other guys are taking note of what K's expectations are. If some of the more physically gifted guys start coming out and playing with the fire and intensity that Josh brings every night we will be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kenny Kadji is having an outstanding season, but he is out indefinitely with a head injury. The 6'11" 250 pound center is averaging 12.5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. If he does not play, Reggie Johnson will have his hands full defending our talented inside players. Johnson has had plenty of success against Duke in the past. Last season, he averaged 19 points and 8 rebounds in the two games against the Blue Devils. Of course, the key statistic is always the final score and Duke won both games by double digits.
    The Miami Herald is reporting Sunday that Kadji has been cleared to play. Apparently, Larranaga has been out with the flu, but is likely to be on the sidelines coaching anyway.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/0...olm-grant.html

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Am in northern VA and Coach Larranaga, formerly of Final Four participant George Mason here, is very well thought of in this area. His teams had a rep here of never quitting, and giving maximum effort. I don't follow Miami enough to know if that has translated to his new school. I hope that this doesn't become a "trap" game for Duke, with lots of discussion on-air already focusing on the NC@CH match-up coming up. I doubt it, as they seemed to finally find their mojo against VT. I WANT to believe that the focus and intensity are here to stay. Let's get em in a deep whole early, take the crowd out of it, and get the guys well rested for next week. This seems like a decent match-up for our side.
    Sure hope this doesn't happen, since they are playing in Cameron!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Sure hope this doesn't happen, since they are playing in Cameron!
    Ooops. Thanks. My bad - had just read an article erroneously referencing the game being in Miami. I certainly like our chances better in CIS!

But I'd still really like to see a big early lead and getting to play lots of depth, and resting some starters a bit...
    This one feels like a decent match-up for us.

live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=10555

ESPN3 stuck on "buffering"????

edit... works on Google Chrome. was trying to use FireFox...
    Last edited by gep; 02-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Larkin

Too quick for TT and Quinn but he not a finisher so the bigs don't need leave their man to help. He's looking to pass when he penetrates.

How in the world did we get Hess again already???!!!

Ugh, we can't shoot today