Gary Carter (1954-2012)

You knew this was coming soon. So sad.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...er-dies-age-57

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Loved the '86 Mets. Sad day.

I was standing around on a playground the day before Halloween at Soulard Market, and my wife was making sure Wolf didn't fall off the equipment, and I was saw a mint condition Gary Carter 1990 Fleer (? I think it was Fleer). It was weird.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 02-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The "Kid" will be missed. Helped give credibility to my Mets. Leader, great player, and from what I've read, a good, supportive human and teammate.

RIP, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    The "Kid" will be missed. Helped give credibility to my Mets. Leader, great player, and from what I've read, a good, supportive human and teammate.

RIP, Gary.
    I couldn't stand Carter as a player; it's kinda like Throaty saying everybody hates everybody else's white point guard. In any event, he was quite a player and he brought a lot of joy to the game.

I did not know that when Carter was drafted by the Expos, he took some Berlitz lessons in French, and when he made his HOF induction speech, he gave part of it in French. THAT is impressive.

long live the Kid.

RIP, Gary. You were a joy to watch, along with your Mets teammates, and I am so glad I was there at Nats Stadium to celebrate your being put up in the ring of honor.

Carter

Great player ... well deserved HOF election.

Obviously, he won a ring with the '86 Mets, but I was looking at his old Montreal Exoo teams in the late 1970s and early 80s. When i look at those rosters, hard to believe that those guys didn'twin more (there were usually right at .500 or a little better). Some amazing talent with Carter behind the plate and both Raines and Dawson -- two HOF quality players -- in their prime in the outfield. The third outfielder was pretty good -- Warren Cromartie. Pretty solid infield with The HIT Man Al Oliver, still a force, at first base ... replaced by Terry Francona, who hit as high as .346 (with little power). They also had the very solid Tim Wallach at third most of that time with Chris Speier at short. The pitching was not bad -- Steve Rogers was one of the top fve pitchers in the NL during that era. Bill Gullickson and Charlie Lea were solid. They had Jeff Reardon, in his prime to close.

That teams should have won more than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Great player ... well deserved HOF election.

Obviously, he won a ring with the '86 Mets, but I was looking at his old Montreal Exoo teams in the late 1970s and early 80s. When i look at those rosters, hard to believe that those guys didn'twin more (there were usually right at .500 or a little better). Some amazing talent with Carter behind the plate and both Raines and Dawson -- two HOF quality players -- in their prime in the outfield. The third outfielder was pretty good -- Warren Cromartie. Pretty solid infield with The HIT Man Al Oliver, still a force, at first base ... replaced by Terry Francona, who hit as high as .346 (with little power). They also had the very solid Tim Wallach at third most of that time with Chris Speier at short. The pitching was not bad -- Steve Rogers was one of the top fve pitchers in the NL during that era. Bill Gullickson and Charlie Lea were solid. They had Jeff Reardon, in his prime to close.

That teams should have won more than they did.
    They tended to be blocked by some very, very good Phillies, Pirates and (later) Cardinals teams, all of which featured several future HoF quality players.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I couldn't stand Carter as a player; it's kinda like Throaty saying everybody hates everybody else's white point guard. In any event, he was quite a player and he brought a lot of joy to the game.

I did not know that when Carter was drafted by the Expos, he took some Berlitz lessons in French, and when he made his HOF induction speech, he gave part of it in French. THAT is impressive.
    Agree with all of this. Hated Carter as a player, and the '86 Mets almost ruined baseball for me forever. But he was undoubtedly one of the best 2-way catchers of all-time (I say this as a Cincinnati native and huge Johnny Bench fan), and truly had a love for the game.

I've always had a soft spot for catchers. Godspeed Gary Carter.

Gary Carter was one of the players I most enjoyed watching while growing up, outside of my Tigers. He just played the game the right way and he had fun doing it...he made you appreciate the grace he carried at the catcher's position. I collected Starting Lineups as a kid (the baseball "action figures") and Gary Carter was the first one I ever got. I got a couple of his as a Met and as an Expo. No matter what, I will one day tell my kids about the various sports heroes of my generation. Gary Carter certainly makes that list.

RIP
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA