Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars Phantom Menace (1999) in 3D.

Are they going to remake all of them in 3-D? I really loved this series as it lets my inner nerd out of its cage for awhile. Does anyone know how it looks in 3-D yet?

Do you mean A New Hope (Episode IV) or The Phantom Menace (Episode I)?

The latter was, IMO, so wholly awful that I don't think it could be made worse by 3D. In NSFW language, and some dark tongue-in-cheek humor, this guy evicerates it in a review worthy of film school class (or so I would think):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Apparently in newer special editions, Lucas has already made some changes to the original 3 movies. Just google "Han Shot First" to see how, to many fans, his meddlesome touch is detracting from their original greatness. Another example is how unpleasantly busy certain scenes have become with the "help" of digital editing. That is also touched upon in the 7-part review above.

I saw Episode IV as a kid and it was so breathtaking from the very start that I don't think 3D would have added anything (for me) even if it had been originally shot that way. It comes across as gimmicky and distracts from the storytelling. One's mind ends up wandering, thinking about what is going to come out of the screen next, rather than being immersed in the drama.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Unless they changed it so that Jar-Jar is sucked entirely into the engine of the pod racer I have no interest. Jar-Jar being chopped up into a multitude of pieces in 3D would be awesome and worth the price of admission.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My son is 7 years old and is JACKED to see this. So I'll let you know next week after I see it.

I think the plan is to re-release all six in 3-D eventually, but it probably depends on how well each release does. Which may be a problem, given that IV - VI are the superior films.

Star Wars episode 1 in 3D.

suckage that you have to put on special glasses to see...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Star Wars episode 1 in 3D.

suckage that you have to put on special glasses to see...
    And that you have to pay more for. No thanks.

I know a lot of people hated it but I loved them all and thought they were all amazing! I have never seen any of them in theater though.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I know a lot of people hated it but I loved them all and thought they were all amazing! I have never seen any of them in theater though.
    NDB. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so are good movies. I loved Ep. IV-VI - being around 10-15 or so when they all came out. I had never seen visuals like that before - from the opening scene when you see the rebel ship pass through and go, wow! But then the massive Imperial starship or whatever you call it (cruiser?) comes through, rumbling sound, taking up the whole screen, as if coming in over your own head, and I went OMG WOW!! And then add to all the great special effects a well-told epic quest, and you had one of the all-time movies right there.

So I was really jacked for the "Episode 1" to come out and thought my kids would enjoy it in the same way I had. And they kind of did, but I just found the first one confusing and uninteresting (from a plot standpoint - clones? Trade wars? Really?), with an overdose of special effects. It's as if they spent all their money on CGI and none on screenwriters. I went to see the second, hoping that it would start making sense, but it didn't, and I thought the acting was especially awful (though, in defense the actors, they can only do so much with a terrible script). I never bothered with Ep. III, and when I came across that Red Letter Media review (linked above) years later, I thought, "Yes! Finally someone was able to identify and explain exactly why I felt the way I did about Ep. I!"

But maybe it's like that saying regarding Wagner's music - "it's better than it sounds."

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yikes. I am holding back from giving you negative pitchforks, and then continuing to do so until I am old and grey at every available opportunity. That movie was TERRIBLE. Just inexcusably and completely terrible.

My wife, knowing how much of a Star Wars geek I am (as others have described above, Star Wars, Empire, and Return ruled my life for ~5 years), bought me the DVD of Phantom Menace, even though I was completely disillusioned with the movie.

So I watch the movie with producer / director commentary turned on - a real eye opener, although it completely destroyed any awe I had left for George Lucas. You listen to Lucas - and the other producers / directors talk about why this character exists, etc. - and realize that the effects drive the story, as opposed to Star Wars, which was so amazing because he had to build the special effects just to TELL the story he wanted.

At any rate, I will likely go see this debacle of a film again, simply for the jedi scenes. I'll try to take a nap from the first Naboo landing through their time on Tatooine.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Do you mean A New Hope (Episode IV) or The Phantom Menace (Episode I)?

Apparently in newer special editions, Lucas has already made some changes to the original 3 movies. Just google "Han Shot First" to see how, to many fans, his meddlesome touch is detracting from their original greatness. Another example is how unpleasantly busy certain scenes have become with the "help" of digital editing. That is also touched upon in the 7-part review above.
    Crap, I don't even know what they're named anymore. I refuse to call the 1977 movie anything other than Star Wars. Period. Those two words only.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yikes. I am holding back from giving you negative pitchforks, and then continuing to do so until I am old and grey at every available opportunity. That movie was TERRIBLE. Just inexcusably and completely terrible.
    Well I am glad you are restraining yourself.

They are simply lousy movies, all of the new ones. Phantom Menace perhaps the worst of the lot, if only because it was such an unpleasant surprise. Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Sam Jackson, Yoda young enough to whoop tail, modern special effects, limitless budget...it promised to be something very cool. Instead what we got was an 8 year old accidentally jump starting a space fighter, Jar Jar Binks, and what could have been the coolest light saber fight imaginable interrupted every time it threatened to get an ounce of momentum by Binks or the kid doing something stupid.

For the most part I'm politely ignoring everything Lucas does to try to wring a few more bucks out of the franchise. I have the old school releases of Star Wars and Empire and, for the sake of completeness, Jedi and gentle tolerance for my son's mistaken belief that the new ones are pretty cool.

Now, when PJ decides to rifle through my pockets with a 3D release of Lord of the Rings, my money is his.

all three of them suck for many of the same reasons...

1. No swashbuckling....zero...

2. NO romance (really? you thought that was real romance???)

3. NO one to be afraid of...nil...not one scary person...even darth maul...

one thing i DID like was on the outset of phantom menace, you kind of got a glimpse of how badass jedi were and how powerful the light sabre could be...

the rest was awfull
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    all three of them suck for many of the same reasons...

1. No swashbuckling....zero...

2. NO romance (really? you thought that was real romance???)

3. NO one to be afraid of...nil...not one scary person...even darth maul...

one thing i DID like was on the outset of phantom menace, you kind of got a glimpse of how badass jedi were and how powerful the light sabre could be...

the rest was awfull
    The one awful aspect that stood out most for me was the horrible singing that went along with the light saber battles, such as when Obi Wan and Qui Gon took on Darth Maul (the first appearance of it) and when Obi Wan and Annakin had it out in Revenge of the Sith. As soon as I heard that singing in Phantom Menace, my opinion was cemented. "This movie sucks".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Lucas was telling a story in the 1977 movie. In Phantom Menace, he had no story to tell, just effects to show. It had no heart and no emotion.

Yes, they are planning on releasing all the movies in 3D. Don't worry, they will make more than enough money to justify it.

For what it is worth, I rank them in this order: Star Wars (IV), Empire (V), Revenge of the Sith (III), a thousand feet of #!@^@, Return of the Jedi (VI), another thousand feet of !#%^!^, Attack of the Clones (II), ten thousand feet of #!@^@^, Phantom Menage (I).

A friend of mine noted that the promotional posters for Phantom Menace in 3D very prominently feature the relatively minor and grossly underused character of Darth Maul. He said, "It is almost like Lucas is saying, 'we fooled you once into thinking this would be cool... can we fool you again?'"

EP1_IA_101427_R_3D_poster_email_1318552470_640w.jpg

-Jason "I doubt I will see it in 3D" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Lucas was telling a story in the 1977 movie. In Phantom Menace, he had no story to tell, just effects to show. It had no heart and no emotion.

Yes, they are planning on releasing all the movies in 3D. Don't worry, they will make more than enough money to justify it.

For what it is worth, I rank them in this order: Star Wars (IV), Empire (V), Revenge of the Sith (III), a thousand feet of #!@^@, Return of the Jedi (VI), another thousand feet of !#%^!^, Attack of the Clones (II), ten thousand feet of #!@^@^, Phantom Menage (I).
    Glad I'm not the only one who liked Episode 3! The dialogue's still shaky, but there is a real story, a handful of terrific scenes, and of course some pretty spectacles. If this had been the only prequel, I wonder if people would have been more or less receptive to it. Episodes 1 and 2 set the standards nice and low, but they also killed the excitement.

Austin Rivers has a high midichlorian count today against Miami. One midichlorian higher and maybe he makes both of those free throws at the end of regulation...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

A friend of mine noted that the promotional posters for Phantom Menace in 3D very prominently feature the relatively minor and grossly underused character of Darth Maul. He said, "It is almost like Lucas is saying, 'we fooled you once into thinking this would be cool... can we fool you again?'"

EP1_IA_101427_R_3D_poster_email_1318552470_640w.jpg

-Jason "I doubt I will see it in 3D" Evans
    Yeah, notice a distinct lack of Jar Jar or little Anni!

*sigh*

I really didn't think Jedi was as bad as all that, although I did HATE the Ewoks something fierce. Oh, if only it could have been Wookees, and they could have done them right! I do agree though that the Revenge of the Sith (funny, I never connected that to the original planned title of Jedi) was okay because you finally got to see some of the politics behind the whole thing. Often in the Star Wars discussion people lose track of the political story; it gets a little mention (in Star Wars Tarkin mentions dissolving the Senate) and obviously there is the idea of the Rebellion, but you rarely really consider Palpatine's rise to power. I really enjoyed that aspect of the new films.

Jar Jar is a one-dimensional character, whether he pops out of the screen at you or not.