Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Austin May or May Not be Planning to Consider Contemplating Staying or Leaving

I read this AR quote in the News & Observer's story about the game:

“We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post

“We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.
    Well, I see where you are coming from, but I think it might make more sense to say it is a statement from someone who, at this time, isn't really thinking about what might happen after this season, rather than someone who is, or isn't, planning on leaving after this season. He is in the moment--which is right where he should be.

I hope this won't hurt us with the recruitment of The super guard out of NV.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I hope this won't hurt us with the recruitment of The super guard our of NV.
    I don't know. If we'd only going to get one year of Shabazz, why not have one year of a sophomore Austin, instead?

Having said that, I don't think the quote mentioned by the OP means much of anything. I certainly wouldn't read into it that Austin plans on staying.

Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post

I don't see anything in that quote that would make me think that Austin intends to stay. What is that makes you feel this way specifically?

I fully expect Austin and Mason to be leaving after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    I don't see anything in that quote that would make me think that Austin intends to stay. What is that makes you feel this way specifically?

I fully expect Austin and Mason to be leaving after the season.
    The fact that he refers to the seniors (Miles) and says "That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.” He doesn't refer to himself in that category of those who won't play in Cameron again.

Look, I prefaced my post with the understanding that I shouldn't read too much into this. I agree with MCFinARL when he says that this may just mean Austin is in the moment. Either way, it's all good. I also agree with Kedsy. I'd take a sophomore year of Austin any day over one freshman year with Shabazz.

Personally, for what it's worth, at this point in time, I think Rivers stays. I don't think anyone would have assumed that a possibility before the season, but he's mostly projected in the 20 range. He's getting better, and might raise his stock a whole lot in workouts and if he has a big tournament. But as of now, he's no sure bet for the lottery. This is also a loaded draft, with all the guys who came back because of the lockout last year. I'd think he'd want to stay, have a big sophomore season and sweep into the Top 10, at least. But there's a lot of time between now and when he'd have to make that decision.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I honestly haven't seen enough from Rivers that tells me he is ready for the next step. I love having him on this team, so this statement is not a knock on him, it's just my assessment. There is obviously another month-plus left of basketball that he could change my mind, but to me it would be a mistake if he were to take off after this season. He is not Kyrie by a long shot. IF he goes, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding minutes. I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.
    K will advise him honestly. What more could he, or anyone, ask for?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Riv has a lot of improving to do, particularly in the way of strength and conditioning along with decision making. He won't be blowing by people in the NBA and even if he does he will have to finish against someone like Dwight Howard. I think we can all picture the outcome of that.

But bottom line, he shouldn't be thinking about ANYTHING but this season/the next game. Obviously K is keeping him focused, and that's exactly the way things should be.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    K will advise him honestly. What more could he, or anyone, ask for?
    How about an NBA coach for a father?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How about an NBA coach for a father?
    Beat me to it. It's not like Austin won't have a good idea of how he would fare if he came out or not.

Let's see how he does from here to the end of the season and then worry about it, eh?

Thread title changed to more or less accurately reflect the stated or implied insinuations make or evoked by the OP related to the quoted text. Or not.

Austin is currently ranked #22 on Chad Ford's top 100. He was about 10-12 a few months ago. I think Austin would benefit from some more time at point to showcase that to the scouts, but that's not going to happen in Duke's guard-heavy rotation.

I'm not sure anything has changed from last summer when the Duke coaches were reported to believe they would have Austin for only a year.

Austin may or may not consider eating or not eating at the CI or U Room today or tomorrow, depending.

I don't think he's ready, but his gut may tell him otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Austin may or may not consider eating or not eating at the CI or U Room today or tomorrow, depending.

I don't think he's ready, but his gut may tell him otherwise.
    Hey! That's rumor mongering!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Hey! That's rumor mongering!
    I don't think you can prove that.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Austin is currently ranked #22 on Chad Ford's top 100. He was about 10-12 a few months ago. I think Austin would benefit from some more time at point to showcase that to the scouts, but that's not going to happen in Duke's guard-heavy rotation.

I'm not sure anything has changed from last summer when the Duke coaches were reported to believe they would have Austin for only a year.
    I find it difficult to believe Austin would consider going pro after his freshman year. Yes, Austin is a good ball handler, has a great first step and can get past just about anyone, rebounds decently, is competitive, is learning to drive and dish to an open teammate, and can get hot from deep; however, he needs to work on his defense, finishing at the basket, free throws, midrange game, (heck, his shooting form in general), passing, court awareness, and his tendency to try and play hero, which often leads to difficult, forced shots. I am a big Austin Rivers fan and I have enjoyed watching him mature as a player, but he has a bit further to go before he can be a top 10-15 draft pick.

As an aside, has he had even one dunk in a regular season game while at Duke? If he has, I haven't seen it, though I have missed about 15% of our offensive plays. The highlight reels I watched when he was in high school showed him throwing it down regularly and with ferocity. I expected him to be able to attack and finish like Gerald or Dahntay. I hope he can figure out a way to attack and finish consistently before he leaves Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    As an aside, has he had even one dunk in a regular season game while at Duke? If he has, I haven't seen it, though I have missed about 15% of our offensive plays. The highlight reels I watched when he was in high school showed him throwing it down regularly and with ferocity. I expected him to be able to attack and finish like Gerald or Dahntay. I hope he can figure out a way to attack and finish consistently before he leaves Duke.
    I believe he has had a couple of break away dunks, but I have been thinking the same thing. I can't tell is he is taking off too far from the basket or isn't getting the right openings or just prefers the acrobatic layup, but it has amazed me how often he is able to get to the basket and not get a dunk. I don't think that he has quite the hops that G or Jones have but he should be able to get as high as Nolan or Jason Williams and they routinely got to the rim for dunks.

Austin is improving. We have games left and he is on course to get even better. Even as a projected draft pick in the mid 20's what advise might Doc give him if a few good NBA coaches, who presumably will have picks at that level, tell Doc that they will pick Austin and help him develop?