Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO & New Orleans, LA

    Austin May or May Not be Planning to Consider Contemplating Staying or Leaving

    I read this AR quote in the News & Observer's story about the game:

    “We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

    I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post
    I read this AR quote in the News & Observer's story about the game:

    “We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

    I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.
    Well, I see where you are coming from, but I think it might make more sense to say it is a statement from someone who, at this time, isn't really thinking about what might happen after this season, rather than someone who is, or isn't, planning on leaving after this season. He is in the moment--which is right where he should be.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I hope this won't hurt us with the recruitment of The super guard out of NV.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I hope this won't hurt us with the recruitment of The super guard our of NV.
    I don't know. If we'd only going to get one year of Shabazz, why not have one year of a sophomore Austin, instead?

    Having said that, I don't think the quote mentioned by the OP means much of anything. I certainly wouldn't read into it that Austin plans on staying.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post
    I read this AR quote in the News & Observer's story about the game:

    “We have nine games left now in the season,” Rivers said. “You look at the seniors like Miles (Plumlee). A month from now, he’ll never play in Cameron again. That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.”

    I know I shouldn't read too much into it, but that sure doesn't sound like a statement from someone who, at this time, is planning on leaving after this season. I love Austin's maturity, his development and his growing trust in his teammates. I saw more of that teammates trusting each other last night than I have seen all season. It is a beautiful thing.
    I don't see anything in that quote that would make me think that Austin intends to stay. What is that makes you feel this way specifically?

    I fully expect Austin and Mason to be leaving after the season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO & New Orleans, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    I don't see anything in that quote that would make me think that Austin intends to stay. What is that makes you feel this way specifically?

    I fully expect Austin and Mason to be leaving after the season.
    The fact that he refers to the seniors (Miles) and says "That kind of bothers me because I want to play hard for him. We’re going to fight for each other, especially the older guys.” He doesn't refer to himself in that category of those who won't play in Cameron again.

    Look, I prefaced my post with the understanding that I shouldn't read too much into this. I agree with MCFinARL when he says that this may just mean Austin is in the moment. Either way, it's all good. I also agree with Kedsy. I'd take a sophomore year of Austin any day over one freshman year with Shabazz.

  7. #7
    Personally, for what it's worth, at this point in time, I think Rivers stays. I don't think anyone would have assumed that a possibility before the season, but he's mostly projected in the 20 range. He's getting better, and might raise his stock a whole lot in workouts and if he has a big tournament. But as of now, he's no sure bet for the lottery. This is also a loaded draft, with all the guys who came back because of the lockout last year. I'd think he'd want to stay, have a big sophomore season and sweep into the Top 10, at least. But there's a lot of time between now and when he'd have to make that decision.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I honestly haven't seen enough from Rivers that tells me he is ready for the next step. I love having him on this team, so this statement is not a knock on him, it's just my assessment. There is obviously another month-plus left of basketball that he could change my mind, but to me it would be a mistake if he were to take off after this season. He is not Kyrie by a long shot. IF he goes, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding minutes. I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Columbus OH 614
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Personally, for what it's worth, at this point in time, I think Rivers stays. I don't think anyone would have assumed that a possibility before the season, but he's mostly projected in the 20 range. He's getting better, and might raise his stock a whole lot in workouts and if he has a big tournament. But as of now, he's no sure bet for the lottery. This is also a loaded draft, with all the guys who came back because of the lockout last year. I'd think he'd want to stay, have a big sophomore season and sweep into the Top 10, at least. But there's a lot of time between now and when he'd have to make that decision.
    Agree 100% There's a lot of basketball left to be played and maybe he plays lights out and there's no question whether he's going to leave or not....but right now I wouldn't call Austin a lottery lock in what should be a deep draft class, and I seriously doubt he comes out without being assured to go lottery. Plus he could really use another year...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    I also think he'll stay, at least as of now. He's shown tremendous talent but also has a lot to work on, especially if he wants to be a PG at the next level (which I would presume he does). The quoted comments don't say anything to me except he's being thoughtful towards his teammate, which isn't a bad thing.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roxboro, NC
    I don't know if he is staying or not and I don't think those quotes tell us anything significant.

    I thought I heard one of the announcers in the Maryland game say that they didn't think Doc would let him come out this year because he wasn't ready yet. I don't remember who the announcer was. At the time it was pretty surprising to me because I had always assumed that he was one and done without question. Did anyone else catch that?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    What position would Austin even get drafted for? If it's SG, I wouldn't even draft him in the first round right now if I were a GM. He's been getting much better at distributing the ball lately, but I think he's going to really show that he has the vision and wherewithal to play PG in the pros before he's a lottery pick. And it's probably going to take another year.

    The great thing is that if he leaves, that instantly puts us in great shape for Bazz. No guarantee, but it's not like Mason, where him leaving would (will...) inevitably really hurt our 2013 team. If Austin decides to go, best wishes and hope we get Shabazz...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I don't know if he is staying or not and I don't think those quotes tell us anything significant.

    I thought I heard one of the announcers in the Maryland game say that they didn't think Doc would let him come out this year because he wasn't ready yet. I don't remember who the announcer was. At the time it was pretty surprising to me because I had always assumed that he was one and done without question. Did anyone else catch that?
    I remember a discussion by announcers at some game (probably Maryland) where they said that either Austin or Doc (probably Doc) had said that he could have gone to a school where he would be "The Man" and get 20-25 shots a game, but he came to Duke because he wanted to be coached and to grow. I do not remember anything specific about a sophomore year.

    Jim

  14. #14
    Too many blocked shots when taking it into traffic. Much improved on kicking out. Would probably be best to stay and refine.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    What position would Austin even get drafted for? If it's SG, I wouldn't even draft him in the first round right now if I were a GM. He's been getting much better at distributing the ball lately, but I think he's going to really show that he has the vision and wherewithal to play PG in the pros before he's a lottery pick. And it's probably going to take another year.

    The great thing is that if he leaves, that instantly puts us in great shape for Bazz. No guarantee, but it's not like Mason, where him leaving would (will...) inevitably really hurt our 2013 team. If Austin decides to go, best wishes and hope we get Shabazz...
    I think he'd go in the first round, but probably low- to mid-20s. It's hard to say, someone could fall in love with his talent and pedigree and he lands in the mid-teens or something. Guys move around a lot in the weeks and months before the draft. But I think you could throw darts all over the map for him.

    Just a hunch: Just after talking to him a couple weeks ago, I don't think Duke's getting Shabazz regardless. Nothing concrete I have or anything, just a feeling I have. But I was very excited to hear today that they're stepping up their pursuit of Noel. (Wrong thread, I know)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.
    K will advise him honestly. What more could he, or anyone, ask for?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  17. #17
    He's excellent at getting to the rim but seems to have a tough time finishing. I'd imagine this situation would be worse at the next level. Another year of coaching and working out could probably help. While he still can be out of control at times, his decision making has vastly improved over the course of the season. He would appear to have more to gain by staying another year as I would be surprised if he was a lottery pick this year.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I honestly haven't seen enough from Rivers that tells me he is ready for the next step. I love having him on this team, so this statement is not a knock on him, it's just my assessment. There is obviously another month-plus left of basketball that he could change my mind, but to me it would be a mistake if he were to take off after this season. He is not Kyrie by a long shot. IF he goes, he's going to have a lot of trouble finding minutes. I'll be curious to see how K advises him when the time comes.
    Well he can look at Nolan Smith. Other than a greater upside for Austin given his age- their games are fairly similar and Nolan is having trouble finding minutes. And it won't just be K advising him- Dad will have a huge say as well.
    dukelifer

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Riv has a lot of improving to do, particularly in the way of strength and conditioning along with decision making. He won't be blowing by people in the NBA and even if he does he will have to finish against someone like Dwight Howard. I think we can all picture the outcome of that.

    But bottom line, he shouldn't be thinking about ANYTHING but this season/the next game. Obviously K is keeping him focused, and that's exactly the way things should be.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West CIS

    Just a guess!!

    I'm attaching a link to an article about Austin!
    I think it tells a lot about him and how he thinks!
    He admits that the adjustment to college ball has been tough!
    He certainly wants to grow as much as possible, I remember a comment from a few games ago,
    Where it was mentioned the reason he's at Duke is to be "coached"..

    http://www.roanoke.com/sports/acc/wb/304279

    Good insight into Austin!

    I think odds are in favor of him staying..IMO
    Let's go DUKE !!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Boozer staying put
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 07:53 AM
  2. Self Staying at Kansas
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 10:29 AM
  3. Hopefully very long-term strategic planning
    By Duke12 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 09:18 AM
  4. McBob, Staying or Going?
    By DankeShane in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •