Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 75, Virginia Tech 60 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Good win! I thought the guys showed a lot of toughness and energy.

Only question/negative - What's up with Miles? He's not much of a factor.

All around good win. Nice to see us improve on some weaknesses. Still some work to do, which goes for every team in the nation.

Considering the Plumlees struggled offensively, impressive getting 75 points on the road. Ready for Seth to get his shot back. Austin was very good and Josh provided a tremendous boost.

On to Miami who should be tough

ESPN announced twice tonight that the Miami at Duke game is Saturday. .???

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Not only that, but it is on ESPNU and they still don't get it right. I think as far as overall production value, that might have been an all time low for ESPN

Good game, vast improvement over St. Johns. Looks like another year with no NCAA for
    Seth Greenberg! Also, I find it hard to believe that Miles is the best practice player when he plays as he did tonight. Mason needs more practice on his left handed hook, but overall he had some wonderful plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    It's on Sunday at 3 p.m. It better be, anyway!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Mason's hook is good when he is not falling away from the basket. VT did a good job of pushing him out. I would love him to pump fake then go up and under which he rarely does.

Some thoughts:

1. Too often Mason establishes position just a bit too far from the basket. Then his hook shot changes from a high percentage shot to an iffy dart throw. Get him set a little closer and that weapon is unstoppable.

2. One of my favorite plays by this team is the Austin - Mason pick and roll. Those two don't quite have the timing and the options figured out yet, but when they do watch out. When Austin turned the corner and Mason slipped to the post VT had to double-team Mason on his cut to the post, leaving a three-point shooter wide open, but Austin didn't recognize the opening. The play when executed well by those two presents severe problems for a defense. With more experience and practice specifically on the pick and roll they would be devastating.

3. The Quinn Cook/MP3 true 1/true 5 combination will be something SPECIAL in coming years. You heard it here first. Tell 'em "OldSchool" told you so.

4. Congratulations to the team on maintaining mental focus on defense for long stretches tonight.

Solid win

Against us...

The crowd
    The announcers
    The refs

Even though they are bottom feeders this year they always get up for us and had the above intangibles going for them. The team played well and had a brilliant stretch midway through the first half through the midpoint of the second.

Pros:
    Austin was simply brilliant in all phases. Great D, great passing, great drives, great shooting the 3
    Mason hustled like crazy and set a very good tone. He was a man in the lane
    Hairston provided a real spark and defended well
    Cook was a real sparkplug when he was in
    Solid Defense by Andre, the T was a bit over the top. There is more woofing than that in a girls T-ball game
    Ryan hustled throughout and took advantage of his opportunities
    Lots of energy among the players which kept the intensity up till late in the second half

Cons:
    Miles, after some great games never got into the flow

Conclusion:
    K is a motivational genius - chapter 999

Whither MG? Will we not really see him again in anything resembling a contested game? Kedsy predicted this...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    1. Too often Mason establishes position just a bit too far from the basket. Then his hook shot changes from a high percentage shot to an iffy dart throw. Get him set a little closer and that weapon is unstoppable.
    There's the puzzle: how does he gain just that half a foot closer?

I lovevDuke

I love duke basketball. However the fans drive me nuts. Last Saturday after a WIN...maybe not a beautiful hard fought one...but a win...there was already 4"waterproofed" pages of people saying how bad they played. How the guys have no hear. Yet after a win where th e guys fought hard for 40you minutes...we can barely fill a page.

I love Duke ....period.

A much better effort

The intensity was there for the entire game, and that was an improvement over many of our efforts. There was one period near the end of the game where it appeared our guards were not stopping the dribbler and they quickly penetrated putting unreasonable pressure on our bigs. Thart seemed to coincide with some misses by Mason inside and Seth, so it appeared to be small run, but I don't think we got less intense. As far as individual players were concerned, I noted the following:

I loved Austin's game tonight. He was great scoring, initiating offense for others, being in the right place rebounding and staying with his man defensively. Great game for him and an improvement from earlier in the year.

Josh provided some energy and it is good to see someone who can finish around the basket while absorbing contact.

Seth had some very good minutes but he also made a mistake and was only so-so with his open looks. Overall though, I thought it was an improvement.

Quinn made some good offensive plays but he also took a couple of questionable shots from outside. The PG should use better judgment on shot selection. He was also beaten a couple of times but his man then missed a shot in close, so we didn't pay for his defensive lapses.

Ryan played hard and did made some good penetration plays but I think he got a little careless, trying to dribble through three players and then throwing the ball away. Still he played hard and gave us 15 pts.

Mason played very hard. His block coming from behind just demonstrated hustle and extra effort. He was having trouble scoring inside against a pretty good defensive player. I thought the announcers got it wrong as well as the refs, when they didn't call a charge on Davila, who cleared out using his shoulder. Mason bounced from the impact about 3 feet. The replay showed pretty clearly if was a charge but they went on about a Mason Flop.

Miles was active inside. I just wish he could hit the 2 footers inside. I wonder why he can't just put those in. He did go up and get a second chance on one of those. I also didn't like him reaching in 25 feet from the basket. He needs to be smarter with his defense.

Andre played but seemed to be negatively impacted by the technical foul. He took very few shots in the game.

If we played against FSU with the intensity that we showed tonight we would have won that game by a decent margin. Maybe this is the start of something good. I didn't see Michael in the game, so I suppose he is way down the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It's on Sunday at 3 p.m. It better be, anyway!
    Yeah, like I'm getting my game outfit all pressed and ready!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    There's the puzzle: how does he gain just that half a foot closer?
    What Mason is doing now is catching the ball and then doing the work to get close enough to get his hook shot off, either by trying to back his man in or using a dribble to initiate a move across the lane. He needs to do the work before catching the ball, using his hips and legs to establish closer position. It makes the entry pass more difficult, as the passer needs to time it right so the defender does not reach around to steal it or slap it away. Dwight Howard uses the same hook shot, and Mason should watch how Dwight works very hard bodying up the defender beforehand to get a close position down low and present himself for the entry pass.

Great win, great to see the players respond to Coach K calling them out. The announcers sure did make a huge deal of VT's "run" to cut the lead from 22 to 14, but I'm not worried about it at all. It was basically a couple missed shots and a couple makes by them. Mason was relatively quiet offensively but great on defense. As a team I thought our defensive rotations were a little quicker and we were even doing a decent job staying in front of our man most of the time.

Austin had a couple nice assists to Josh on pick and rolls, that was need to see that chemistry. Overall we took care of business.

What Mason is doing now is catching the ball and then doing the work to get close enough to get his hook shot off, either by trying to back his man in or using a dribble to initiate a move across the lane. He needs to do the work before catching the ball, using his hips and legs to establish closer position.
    The guards need to be on the same page too. You can't expect Mason to establish position in the lane and then stand there for 4-5 seconds holding off his man while the guard decides whether to throw it to him. When Mason posts up there's only a split second or so when he can receive the ball. The ball handler needs to recognize this and be looking for him. I saw a few times where he did establish good position and just never got the ball.

Once we do learn how to get him the ball inside, and he learns to make his move more quickly (you don't have the luxury of holding the ball and then taking 4-5 dribbles when you start off in the lane) then he'll be pretty unstoppable.

Great game by the Devils. I think Austin had his best play as a Duke player when he drove to the basket and dished it off to Josh Hairston for the easy bucket. He looked controlled and in touch with the game.

I'll be doing my best to welcome Duke back against Miami Sunday. Lets make Cameron loud and intimidating and GO DEVILS.

The technical was absurd, the flop on Mason was ridiculous, and Karl Hess is the worst ref ever.

Rivers and Kelly did great, though, and Mason's block was awesome. As far as the V-tech fans go, the person who
    threw that should have been taken out of the stadium. That was ridiculous. Duke's defense has improved a lot, and
    Hairston had one of his best games tonight. Great win, horrible calls.

What Mason is doing now is catching the ball and then doing the work to get close enough to get his hook shot off, either by trying to back his man in or using a dribble to initiate a move across the lane. He needs to do the work before catching the ball, using his hips and legs to establish closer position. It makes the entry pass more difficult, as the passer needs to time it right so the defender does not reach around to steal it or slap it away. Dwight Howard uses the same hook shot, and Mason should watch how Dwight works very hard bodying up the defender beforehand to get a close position down low and present himself for the entry pass.
    Good answer! It's all in the passing. Survey says!!!!