Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke vs. Va Tech Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

The Devils visit the Hokies this Thursday. They're 1-5 in the ACC so far this year, 12-9 overall. Lost Saturday at Maryland after a woeful first half, scoring only 19 points, followed by a furious comeback in the second half, scoring 50. Which team shows up in Cameron?
    Last edited by -jk; 01-30-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: fixed venue
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    The Hokies come to visit this Thursday. They're 1-5 in the ACC so far this year, 12-9 overall. Lost Saturday at Maryland after a woeful first half, scoring only 19 points, followed by a furious comeback in the second half, scoring 50. Which team shows up in Cameron?
    Actually, this game is at VPI - I think they'll be a tough out.

I haven't followed them closely, but I have to imagine that Greenberg is feeling the heat at this point. After the annual tournament bubble bursting, now a poor start to the conference season...look out, Seth.

For this reason (and because we're Duke) I think Va Tech is going to give us a battle. I think we'll all be looking closely at our defense.

- Chillin

The trip to Blacksburg is never easy. We lost there last season 60-64 and in the previous trip we came away with a seven point victory 72-65 in 2009. I expect the Hokies to put up a tough fight but in the end Duke should walk away with a win.
    Bob Green

The key question to me in this game...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The trip to Blacksburg is never easy. We lost there last season 60-64 and in the previous trip we came away with a seven point victory 72-65 in 2009. I expect the Hokies to put up a tough fight but in the end Duke should walk away with a win.
    ...are how Duke responds to what will be the inevitable initial intensity of Va. Tech, and how long it knocks us back AND, should we be fortunate enough to build a lead, how we handle the furious attempts at Va. Tech comeback.

Obviously, there's more to it than that. I'd like to see 40 minutes of defense. I'd like to see us use our size to own the boards.

But I expect an initial flurry from the Hokies, and I think if we weather than storm, we will be ok.

In the portions of games I have watched the Hokies, they have struggled to score the ball. Green and Hudson are certainly dangerous, but I like our match ups down low. We are bigger, more athletic, and much more skilled down low. It's never easy on the road, but I like our chances to win comfortably if we are patient and attack them down low.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    In the portions of games I have watched the Hokies, they have struggled to score the ball. Green and Hudson are certainly dangerous, but I like our match ups down low. We are bigger, more athletic, and much more skilled down low. It's never easy on the road, but I like our chances to win comfortably if we are patient and attack them down low.
    To me this is the key. Get the ball to our bigs in scoring position and put them down early. Let the threes come in the flow of the offense. That way we shouldn't give up run outs. Of course the big key is to play Duke defense and I'm not talking about 2012 Duke defense. GoDuke!

I've never liked Va Tech in any sport. As far as basketball is concerned, I've especially never liked playing in Blacksburg. They can be a different beast in Blacksburg as we've seen over the years. They played UNC well for a half before UNC's superior talent took over. Green is the only Hokie that puts fear in me. If he goes off for them, upset alert. If we can keep him contained, I like our chances against the other Hokies. Should be a competitive game and I look forward to Duke's response of the criticism received from Coach K.

Redemption game for Seth Curry!!!!!!

I would expect them to try to out-physical us and play bruiser ball like FSU. This will be a very tough game.

I assume Quinn and {g} will be good to go?

I'd like to see Seth Curry get benched; if not tonight, soon. He's part of the problem in terms of poor team defense, and I don't feel he's played well enough on either side of the ball to keep starting. Rivers, Miles, Dawkins, Kelly, Cook, and Thornton have all been benched after seeing the starting lineup - I think it's overdue for Curry to come off the bench to see if it can improve the team's play.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    As far as basketball is concerned, I've especially never liked playing in Blacksburg.
    It's got some horrible sight lines and the floor seems dead. Truly, it doesn't smell very good either, not kidding.

What's the spread?

Per Sagarin, if you give the home team 4 points like he says, then it's only Duke favored by 2.5. Are any point spreads out? What sort of margin is Kenpom predicting?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Per Sagarin, if you give the home team 4 points like he says, then it's only Duke favored by 2.5. Are any point spreads out? What sort of margin is Kenpom predicting?
    Duke by 3. But VPI may be the only team in the league that's struggled more against projections lately than Duke.

Uncle Fester is brewing up some mischief.

I doubt this game will be artistic, but the Devils will display some toughness and win by 6 or 7 points.
    Mason Plumlee continues his good play.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Duke by 3. But VPI may be the only team in the league that's struggled more against projections lately than Duke.
    Bet the Vegas lines will be higher - maybe Duke by 6 or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Redemption game for Seth Curry!!!!!!
    Indeed - he played horribly last year in an emotional game against his father's alma mater, hopefully he can put that past him and come up strong. I don't agree that he should be benched but I do think it will be a physical game and he's not a very physical player so he'll need to come prepared. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Austin handles the inevitable cheap shots and bad calls that come with playing against VT and on the road. If everyone keeps their composure and we can show a little more on D then I think we'll win comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I'd like to see Seth Curry get benched; if not tonight, soon.
    It would surprise me if your wish came true in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It's got some horrible sight lines and the floor seems dead. Truly, it doesn't smell very good either, not kidding.
    On the other hand, their indoor track facility is among the best in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Indeed - he played horribly last year in an emotional game against his father's alma mater...
    ... and his mother's alma mater (where she was a varsity athlete) and 15 miles away from his mom's hometown, where she was a state champion basketball player herself ... if I'm recalling the lead-up to last year's game, Dell was his usual cool customer self, but Seth's mom was more emotional about it all ...

I think this is a big game for Seth and could have an affect on the rest of his season. This game will tell us a lot about him. He has been inconsistent throughout this season, in a season in which the expectations for him were pretty high considering the success he sustained last year. Plus it is at Va Tech and we know the connection for him there and the horrid game he had one year ago.

A self-redemption game/challenge like this is where the good players SHOULD rise up and play at their best. If Seth can do that (which I think he can), this could give him a big boost going into the last 2 months of the season. If he doesn't, not ALL is lost but I think it is an indication of inconsistency that will continue through the last game of the season.