Late Summer Reading Recommendations?

Back in the day, we used to have a book list every summer. I don't know if y'all have discussed this already, and if so, just point me there. I'm looking for reading recommendations.

Why so late to start my summer reading? Tomorrow, I take the Ga Bar, so my reading thus far this summer has been BarBri. After that, I head to the beach for a week, and I intend to take full advantage of the porches of our house, and stick my nose in fun books. I already have HP VII as well as the latest in the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series.

A note - as for my preferences, I'm not looking for anything to make me think too much. I want good stories that move. I do NOT want any legal thrillers (or anything law-related) for obvious reasons! I wouldn't say I'm in the market for chick-lit, but close.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by devilmacdawg View Post
    Back in the day, we used to have a book list every summer. I don't know if y'all have discussed this already, and if so, just point me there. I'm looking for reading recommendations.

Why so late to start my summer reading? Tomorrow, I take the Ga Bar, so my reading thus far this summer has been BarBri. After that, I head to the beach for a week, and I intend to take full advantage of the porches of our house, and stick my nose in fun books. I already have HP VII as well as the latest in the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series.

A note - as for my preferences, I'm not looking for anything to make me think too much. I want good stories that move. I do NOT want any legal thrillers (or anything law-related) for obvious reasons! I wouldn't say I'm in the market for chick-lit, but close.

Thanks in advance.
    If you want light, purely for pleasure reading and you are from the great state of Georgia you have to read Lewis Grizzard Books if you haven't already.

You can always read the latest . . .

Harry Potter (or the earlier ones if you haven't read them). I liked the first Ladies #1 Detective Agency book and have the next two in the queue. If you want some fun, light (children's book) reading and you haven't read them yet, read Holes, The Phantom Tollbooth, or Hoot. They are all fun.

I think I'm into the kids books right now mostly because of Potter, and I just read Tollbooth. Everything else I've read lately has been pretty serious (e.g., The Three Gospels by Reynolds Price). I'm just starting A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, and it's good so far. IIRC, you've read My Losing Season by Pat Conroy. If not, it would be perfect post-exam reading (and is about college basketball, which I know you enjoy). There's even a Duke game and a description of Art Heyman that is great.

Good luck on the bar exam!!

"All the Kings Men" -- I just watched the Sean Penn/Jude Law remake of the film last night, and it reminded me just how much I loved the Pulitzer-prize winner by Robert Penn Warren.

The flick was worth watching as well, if you don't have time to do the heavier lifting. It was very true to the original story.

Good luck on the Bar!

Look at "The Afgan", "Day of Confession", "Telegraph Days" - or any Larry McMurtry books, " The Kite Flyer" "The Bookseller of Kabul". Bob Woodwards 2 books about the Bush administration are light but interesting and ditto for George Tenant's newer book " The Center of the Storm" (or something close to that). Although mostly a legal writer, Grisham has a book out "The Pink House" that is not legal and is arguably his best.

summer reading

Good luck on the Bar!! Having read the past posts, I'd like to add some input for "light fiction." Grab the latest (or anything) from authors Michael Connelly, Carl Hiassen, Dick Francis, Clive Cussler, Elmore Leonard, Jonathan Kellerman and more... if you want some others, let me know.

GREAT reads for days of leisure.

if you don't want to have to think . . .

don't read Deathly Hallows. A lot going on. For easy Chick Lit, try the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Good poolside reading. I do that every summer. I choose a James Patterson or a Patricia Cornwell "trash novel" for the pool, then I read more cerebral stuff at night.