Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Joe Paterno (1926-2012)

So much so, that there are unconfirmed reports that the extended family has been summoned to his bedside to say good-bye and that a respirator has been disconnected. No comment from family -- here's the link.

I wish the best for Joe and his family.

sagegrouse

Yes, I saw that too and it's very sad.
    What has been done to and said about that man in his last days is a crime and a terrible injustice.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I will always remember Joe Paterno as the excellent football coach that he was and not the elderly sick man who had the world dumped on his shoulders, his legacy ripped from him, and his death brought on faster than it should have by the idiots that blamed the FOOTBALL COACH for all the problems.

I guess that sometimes excellence and success can bring out the worst people... bring out the jealousy and hatred enough to tar and feather the wrong man.

Godspeed Joe... there's a better world waiting for you.

Such a heartbreaking ending to college football's best coach of all time. I have so much respect for Mr. Paterno even after the scandal that ultimately ended his career at Penn State. You have to wonder if the stress and agony brought on my the entire situation added any duress to his condition.

Regardless of your opinion on the situation at Penn State, I hope everyone can show Mr. Paterno the respect he earned during these last few days. I think the amount of good influence he had on this world and the lives of so many young men far outweighs the decisions he made that were uncovered and led to his firing.

Godspeed, Mr. Paterno. When the Lord finally calls you home, this world will have lost a legend and decent man.

This is a sad day for America. Coach Paterno is an Icon.
    Bob Green

This is unspeakably sad. When we saw the crawl on ESPN my spouse said, "dying of a broken heart." Probably right--hard to fight cancer when you don't have a fierce desire to keep going.

I understand why the BOT at Penn State felt they had to do what they did--but I also understand how easy it must have been for JoePa to conclude that he wasn't equipped to handle this situation and bump it to the AD. I grew up cheering for Penn State (my dad was a grad) and it's been hard all along--but this part is the saddest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This is a sad day for America. Coach Paterno is an Icon.
    I wonder if the past few months have given folks time to reflect or if the sports media will dance on his grave.

Report is he has now passed away:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1221289.html

What will the people that said his cancer was a ploy to gain sympathy say now? How sad.

Looks like that article was premature. Jay Paterno is tweeting that his Dad is still alive...

Social media has turned in to a nightmare in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Social media has turned in to a nightmare in this day and age.
    Not if you stay the hell off it.

Hurley, I've gotta laugh at the irony here...you are a moderator for an online basketball forum.

In any event, most of us now have iPhones that give us notifications on important news...who would have thought a paper would post that prematurely.

As of now, several sites are reporting that he has passed, while others are saying he's still alive.
    As others have mentioned, media in general (specifically ESPN) has made this whole fiasco unbearable. I can't even watch anything about Sandusky because my mind has had it. Everywhere you turned when this came to light, that's what you saw.

I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out for Joe if this had happened 20 years ago. ESPN and sports media did not have the dominance they have now....I think Joe would still have a job if this all came to light years ago.

Anyway, I have mixed thoughts on this...I think Joe could have done more about this situation, but I am also saddened to know this is how the man lived out his last few days and months. He had to have been an emotional mess. When he was fired, I said to my husband, "This is the type of instance where you see someone pass away in a month or two." I have seen many instances where people spend their whole life at their job, retire, and then pass away. Such a sad, sad story all around.

My heart goes out to the Paterno family.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Hurley, I've gotta laugh at the irony here...you are a moderator for an online basketball forum.
    Fair enough; I grew up before the era when every thought and action needed to be broadcasted to the world and where you can become someone's "friend" just by asking.

Espn is usually not first on non-game-related breaking news items such as this. They generally want to make sure they have the story 100% right. I give them credit for this.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Fair enough; I grew up before the era when every thought and action needed to be broadcasted to the world and where you can become someone's "friend" just by asking.

Espn is usually not first on non-game-related breaking news items such as this. They generally want to make sure they have the story 100% right. I give them credit for this.
    Whew, glad you can see the humor! We've all had a rough night.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm in my 30's so I've kind of grown up with the technological advances. I will be the first to admit that I've become too dependent on it.

I agree about ESPN. Even as I was reading about his supposed death online, they were still reporting that he was in serious condition.

Sad news

I just saw on morning news that Joe Paterno has passed.

May he rest in peace, and prayers and thoughts for his family.

Note: this appears to be real news, not related to the erroneous reports recently broadcast.

Coach Paterno's passing is being reported as Breaking News on CNN and ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...?eleven=twelve

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/us/pen...html?hpt=hp_t1

A sad, sad day for America. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Paterno family.
    Bob Green

As a long-time Penn State fan (my brother, father, uncle, and grandfather are graduates) and Joe Paterno fan, this is sad news indeed. He was a true legend.

I'm very sorry that the events of the Sandusky scandal have tarnished his reputation. He did so much for the University and the state of Pennsylvania.

One of my favorite memories concerning Joe is a recent one---the meeting and joint appearance that he had with Coach K as presented this summer on ESPN. Always felt they were two of a kind, and I'm not sure a Duke fan can think of a higher compliment.

Rest in peace JoePa. A heartbreaking end to a heartbreaking tragedy.

Was Joe killed by cancer or by a media witch hunt? I think it's the latter as much as the former, but somehow I doubt there will be any soul searching by the talking heads who were so eager to judge. RIP Coach Paterno.

Very proud of Coach K

They just interviewed Coach K about Coach Paterno's passing away. As a Penn State and Duke alum, I couldn't be more proud of what Coach K said. He was heartfelt, honest, and not afraid to express his opinion that Coach Paterno was vilified by the media and the PSU Board of Trustees. Rest in peace, Coach. And God Bless you, Coach Krzyzewski!

I always admired JoePa. The Sandusky affair didn't change that - it just proved to me that he was human. No one knows how they would have handled that situation. You can only make the best decision you can at the time. As days and years pass, may all the good he did stand out more clearly in everyone's mind.

My condolences to his family, his friends, and the many legions of people who loved JoePa.