Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Twitter now the #1 news source on the planet?

i posed that question in a post about the olympics, however, i thought it deserved it's on thread...

do CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, NEW YORK TIMES, INQUIRER, YAHOO, etc all take a back seat to twitter now?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i posed that question in a post about the olympics, however, i thought it deserved it's on thread...

do CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, NEW YORK TIMES, INQUIRER, YAHOO, etc all take a back seat to twitter now?
    I love Twitter. #NoNeedToFactCheck

It was pretty cool that some guy in Afghanistan was tweeting about the helicopters swooping in for Osama bin Laden. While that was news, I'm not sure anyone paid attention until the whole thing was already in the old news.
    ~rthomas

Twitter is just a medium. All of those news providers publish on twitter.

well, so was the one guy that saw "it" happen...does that mean he "broke the story" before CNN?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

well, so was the one guy that saw "it" happen...does that mean he "broke the story" before CNN?
    Sure. I'm not sure how many people will read his report though. Depends on who the guy is, right?

Do tweets count as a message on text message plans that are not unlimited? Say you get 250 messages a month, or, for that matter, pay for each text message you send or receive.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I love Twitter. #NoNeedToFactCheck
    For alot of CNN and Fox and the rest, #NoNeedToFactCheck also applies

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    It was pretty cool that some guy in Afghanistan was tweeting about the helicopters swooping in for Osama bin Laden. While that was news, I'm not sure anyone paid attention until the whole thing was already in the old news.
    Do you mean Pakistan, or were you riffing on the #NoNeedToFactCheck joke?

i don't think twitter counts as text messages...they are thru the app as "data"...

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Do you mean Pakistan, or were you riffing on the #NoNeedToFactCheck joke?
    You can see how well I keep up with the news. Good catch.
    ~rthomas

It's a lot of work to keep up with the ol'Twit. Ever get the feeling that you just don't care?

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    For alot of CNN and Fox and the rest, #NoNeedToFactCheck also applies
    Recently, I'd also add #NoNeedToSpellCheck for the media.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ever get the feeling that you just don't care?
    I'm not sure what counts as #news anymore.

CNN sure seems to think that Twitter is the #1 news source now. I grew tired of seeing CNN feature "what's trending on Twitter" and stopped tuning in altogether.

On a slight tangent, NBC's use of Ryan Seacrest to talk about what one of the Jonas Brothers Tweeted about the Opening Ceremonies was a low point in Olympic coverage.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post

CNN sure seems to think that Twitter is the #1 news source now. I grew tired of seeing CNN feature "what's trending on Twitter" and stopped tuning in altogether.
    Sounds like you may not be alone. CNN's President Jim Walton just resigned a week or two ago, saying that the network needs "new thinking" after a steady decline in ratings.

Here's a thought -- with most partisans among the cable news audience migrating to one of two camps, perhaps CNN could re-invent itself by getting back to its roots and focusing on the news. Stop trying to compete against MSNBC and Fox as an infotainment network, because it ain't working. Get back to being the network that became a giant because of its reporting, like it did during the first Gulf War. You may still trail MSNBC and Fox in ratings, but you won't be competing for the same eyeballs.

I have to think there's a non-trivial chunk of the viewing demographic out there that is sick and tired of what cable news has become and just wants good, quality reporting. It also seems like that group would trend towards the college-educated and at least somewhat affluent (i.e., middle to upper-middle class), so it's not like there won't be value there for advertisers. CNN could fill that niche, so why not do it? Become the U.S. version of BBC News.

If only there were someone on these boards with experience in this business -- or even experience at that company -- who could weigh in and tell me whether I'm totally off my rocker (which, of course, I probably am)....

when you are at the altar of ratings, it's SO difficult to steer the ship in a different direction....not saying it CAN'T be done, just saying it's a tremendous effort...

i don't think twitter counts as text messages...they are thru the app as "data"...
    If you have a regular, non-smartphone, you can tweet with texts, and maybe can receive @ messages, but it's a pretty bad experience. It's better with an app or on a PC.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Twitter is quickly becoming the #1 news source, but with a catch. Most people, when important, breaking news happens, still look to reputable news sources' Twitter feeds to confirm the information before accepting it as true. For instance, when I find out something about basketball recruiting, will people believe it if it comes from me only? Probably not. But, when someone from ESPN or even a local, reputable news source tweets it, it provides much more legitimacy. If Jabari Parker or Julius Randle (or both!) committed to Duke, we all know the sources that could provide that info that would convince you that it's real. Joe Schmo with a Twitter account is not going to move the masses into believing a story is true.

For other stuff, like sports and entertainment, it's definitely something that a lot of people can follow in real time. I definitely have what are called Twitter shows: TV shows I never have to watch but know what's going on because people livetweet about them all the time.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I still learn about more stuff happening on FaceBook than on Twitter.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine