300-pound boy can't play peewee football

A Dallax, TX mother cannot understand why her 297 lb. 7th-grader won't be allowed to play PeeWee football in a league with a 135 lb. limit. Is his mom really that ingorant?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...285_story.html

The story seems to walk the straight-and-narrow as far as poitical correctness goes. Is the writer just pulling my leg and I didn't get the joke? Or is he having a good laugh at the mom all over the country via The Associated Press?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

As they pointed out in the article, he can play for his middle school team. I wasn't as large as he is, but I got my start on my middle school team. I never "felt" my way in peewee. If his middle school coach can't help him with that, then maybe football isn't the right sport for him.

The funny thing to me is that she is angry and he is humiliated that they wouldn't let him weigh in. How humiliated would he have been if he'd weighed in and all the boys had seen and heard his weight? Did she think he was magically going to make weight?

As a big kid myself who took a lot of flack over both my size and especially my mother's, I think they handled this about the best way possible. The coach who let the mother buy the custom equipment and got the kid's hopes up by letting him practice for three weeks without explaining the situation (he HAD to know how this would end) is the one who really messed up, IMO. If the boy really wants to get a feel for the game, I say let him practice with the team but not dress for games.