Should Mason be taking 10-ft jump shots?

Certainly want to recognize his improvement and overall good play. (and knock on wood, the FT's are looking a little better).

However, defenders in his size range now just wait for his moves to the basket or into the paint, where he can dribble into trouble. Wake Forest and Florida State were both able to limit his scoring.
    Seems there are open looks he is getting in the 10 to 12 foot range.

Should he be taking these shots?
    Can he make these shots?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Certainly want to recognize his improvement and overall good play. (and knock on wood, the FT's are looking a little better).

However, defenders in his size range now just wait for his moves to the basket or into the paint, where he can dribble into trouble. Wake Forest and Florida State were both able to limit his scoring.

Can he make these shots?
    Miles can and does take such shots; no reason Mason couldn't add it.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Can he make these shots?
    As long as he doesn't try any uncontested, 15 foot set shots, I'm open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Miles can and does take such shots; no reason Mason couldn't add it.
    If Mason hopes to make it in the NBA he'd better learn that shot - he's not exactly Shaq or Wilt.

As long as they don't require him dribbling the ball the length of the floor. Sure. Oh wait Mason, no he shouldn't. Lets keep to dunks and those hook shots. Unless he is a the free throw line, never shoot jump shots.

His free throws are definitely improving. Miles shoots 10ft jump shots occasionally, and so far he hasn't missed. Mason is probably more comfortable with dunks, though.

I would prefer to see him taking 10-ft jump shots than getting the ball at the free throw line area and try to work his way in to the basket. That NEVER seems to work out too well.

I wonder if Mason makes them in practice? Or is he allowed to shoot them in practice? If he's making them in front of Coach K, I think coach would encourage him to shoot them in games. GoDuke!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I think Mason should be taking those mid-range shots, and I think where RoyWhite is going there, is it may actually help Mason at the foul line. I mentioned this in other threads but Mason shoots the ball well in warm ups. Very fluid with no hesitation. He can absolutely make that shot. Early in the year during a game he drained an open jumper from the elbow. Once the free throw issues started, he stopped attempting the mid-range shot. If he has taken one I do not remember it.

It would just open up so much for him with his driving ability if the defender had to respect the mid-range shot and step up closer to defend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I think Mason should be taking those mid-range shots, and I think where RoyWhite is going there, is it may actually help Mason at the foul line. I mentioned this in other threads but Mason shoots the ball well in warm ups. Very fluid with no hesitation. He can absolutely make that shot. Early in the year during a game he drained an open jumper from the elbow. Once the free throw issues started, he stopped attempting the mid-range shot. If he has taken one I do not remember it.

It would just open up so much for him with his driving ability if the defender had to respect the mid-range shot and step up closer to defend him.
    Agree mostly, though I wish I were more confident that he would hit those shots.

But not taking those shots....that's not a good option either as we're seeing when he faces decent to good ACC players in the 6'10" range.
    They are now playing him to drive and not to take the shot; occasionally, he can get position or back his way in for a jump hook, but he's also getting his dribble stopped sometimes, sometimes travelling or getting stripped, or putting up a shot out of rhythm that can get blocked or miss.

By the way, have to give Florida State credit for the way they get back on defense. Absent an open court turnover, it is really hard to run on them. Come to think of it, that was probably a big factor in UNC getting frustrated and losing their focus...could not run their transition game effectively.

I believe our opponents would like that, until he proves he can make them consistently. If he becomes more proficient and thus more of a threat he will also be better prepared to succeed at the next level.

No!

Not unless he has developed this part of his game a little more. If he comes back for his senior season I will be expecting to see it but for now I want him to keep working on his free throws and post moves.

Next year: Improvement on defense, a consistent jump shot, and continued improvement on his free throws.

No!

Not unless he has developed this part of his game a little more. If he comes back for his senior season I will be expecting to see it but for now I want him to keep working on his free throws and post moves.

Next year: Improvement on defense, a consistent jump shot, and continued improvement on his free throws.
    Precisely. Which is why I think if he has any sense, he'll be back next year. He can either work on his game in the friendly
    confines of Cameron Indoor stadium, or bouncing up and down in the D league (see McBobs); it's his choice. In the end,
    I think the money he'll get as a higher pick will make up for waiting a year, and in the meantime, why not enjoy being
    a senior (All American?) at Duke. See ya next year, Mason.