Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Florida State 76, Duke 73 Post Game Thread

Oh well, at least we didn't lose by 33...
    Bob Green

Oh the free throws...

I really wish that bizarre 3 at the half didn't go in.

2 buzzer beaters by Snaer.

Ugh.

When was the last time we lost on a true buzzer-beater -- that is, a shot to decide the game with no time remaining? Pretty sure there was time left against vcu in 2007.

How Dre fell asleep on that play is beyond me...helluva game though

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    I really wish that bizarre 3 at the half didn't go in.
    Yeah no kidding. Rivers' 3 goes in and that one doesn't, and we win by 3.

Oh well. FSU's turning into a monster team. They play the kind of defense we should be playing. Frustrating.

It's really simple this team just isn't very good defensively.

Against the 117 best offense in the country (according to Kenpom):

Gave up 50 points in the 2nd half; allowed 54% for the game from the field and only forced 13 turnovers.

Great Game

Our defense just couldn't stop them, pure and simple. Offensively, I thought we played pretty well. Our defense just couldn't get it done. Credit their offense or rip our defense? I don't know. Great, great game, though.

Poor shooting by the Blue Devils, an opponent who plays their best game and officials who are (again) incredibly poor at their job...and it takes a lucky three for the win. Tough loss.

And Len Elmore could barely contain his glee...
    Windy City Devil

Dawkins was a spectator on that last play. Not paying attention to his man, just staring at the ball handler. We've known he can be a defensive liability at times and he definitely was there.

Biggest story of the game was our horrendous defense in the 2nd half. They got WHATEVER shot they wanted. Amazes me how they get their bigs open touches right around the block area yet we can't get our bigs anything close to an open touch.

Very disappointing loss. I understand that FSU is hot right now but they are an unranked opponent. You gotta protect your home court in conference play, especially against unranked teams

That game winning 3 shouldn't have happened, Austin Rivers should have been on the foul line

Tough loss

I thought Duke played better defensively than they have all year but there were a few lapses. We had some opportunities at the end but AR and Ryan missed Free Throws and Seth missed a wide open 3. I'd say FSU was a little better and certainly executed better at the end. Wish we could havde forced a tougher shot with only 4.9 remaining but give the guy credit for knocking it down. Would have been a big win for Duke but next play.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    Oh the free throws...
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but we shot 13-17 today. Unless we made all of them, free throws would not have won us the game. We shot a lot better this game from the line than we have in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    How Dre fell asleep on that play is beyond me...helluva game though
    He didn't. He and Austin both hedged toward the center of the court because nobody was in front of the ball-handler after Seth got caught on a screen at the other end of the court. Couldn't recover in time.

dre didn't cover...

austin SHOULD have been shooting the +1 on his last basket....

arrghh...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

The end of the first half was pretty rough. We get Austin's ball to stay down and Snaer doesn't hit a circus shot, and we're up by 12 at the half.

Austin made a critical error with about 2 minutes left in the game, right after Dawkins made a huge 3 from the corner, Austin drives the baseline from the left side of the court and Dawkins is wide open for another attempt at 3, but Austin forces the shot up amongst two almost-7-footers instead. This ends up to be a turnover.

Obviously, he came up huge on our last possession, though.

Oh well. Next play and all....
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    That game winning 3 shouldn't have happened, Austin Rivers should have been on the foul line
    Yep he was definitely fouled. It's not unusual for the officials to swallow their whistle in that situation unless you are Michael Jordan though.

In re: Dre on the final play. I haven't watched it again but from the live action it looked to me that if he had stayed with his man that gave the FSU ball handler a wide open lane for a lay up at the buzzer.

If that is correct I think Dre did the right thing as a 3 is certainly harder than a layup.

Quote Originally Posted by FellowTraveler View Post
    He didn't. He and Austin both hedged toward the center of the court because nobody was in front of the ball-handler after Seth got caught on a screen at the other end of the court. Couldn't recover in time.
    Yea watch it again...all I got

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I thought Duke played better defensively than they have all year but there were a few lapses.
    I strongly disagree. We had several chances to put them away but the defense could never get consistent stops.

They shot 54% for the game and pretty much got whatever they wanted.

I thought the poor defense cost us that game.