Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Tip-off is tomorrow at 4:05 pm. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com"

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200

TV coverage is on ESPN with Mike Patrick and Len Elmore. The Vegas line has Duke favored by 10.5 points with the over under set at 143 so we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 77-66.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/
    Bob Green

I dunno about the rest of you but this game has me pretty nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Me too. Florida State has really put it together recently.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Me and you both. I am fully expecting a very tough game. FSU has great size and length. Their defense is going to give us trouble. We cannot get jump-shot happy and ignore the big fella's inside. On defense, we have to defend the 3-Point line well on the perimeter, and avoid foul trouble with the Plum's and Kelly. We should be able to exploit the match-up with Dulkys though. Andre can shoot over him, and Austin can explode by him.

We need a strong ball-handling game to avoid giving FSU runouts and easy buckets. The last two games aside, FSU can still struggle to put the ball in the hole. We need to force them to take tough shots, then rebound well to keep them off the offensive glass.

FSU under Hamilton has played Duke really tough, even in Cameron, so I expect a game much like the UVA game that goes down to the wire.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 01-20-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Reminds me so much of an NCAA Tournament first weekend...

Let's say Duke is a #2 seed
    They play a #15 seed first on Thursday evening...Wake is about as good as a lower small conference rep
    Duke wins by a good margin, subsitutes liberally in 2nd half, and the game gets sloppy

Now comes a tough #7 seed on Saturday afternoon
    FSU seems about like a tough #7....some losses sprinkled in with some impressive wins
    Long, physical team; streaky shooters, not a great overall backcourt

To win a game like this, Duke has to play smart, use it's depth, and shoot reasonably well.
    Can't let the Seminoles control the boards, have to defend Dulkys

Quick turnaround from Thursday night just like the NCAA tourny...just a guess but I'll say Coach K has pointed out the parallels to the team

FSU

The Noles have been playing tough physical defense for years and tomorrow will be no exception. I want to see our guys give that style back to them. Don't let them out tough us. Get in their face and play the best defense we've played year to date. If we hold down their 3 point makes, we should be fine. But it they hit the 3s like they did against the heels, we'll be in trouble. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Tip-off is tomorrow at 4:05 pm. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com"

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200

TV coverage is on ESPN with Mike Patrick and Len Elmore. The Vegas line has Duke favored by 10.5 points with the over under set at 143 so we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 77-66.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/
    Hard to believe we are a double digit favorite. I'd be surprised with scores in that range. Bob migh lose another case of beer if he bets on this one. I can't believe weezie is nervous though. After all, she is meeting us for lunch at Tyler's and should be quite relaxed after a couple high ABV drafts.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Duke get beaten, or to see Duke absolutely handle FSU. FSU is so hot-and-cold this year (especially on the road), and with this offense-vs-defense matchup, something has to give. I also think that, with all the talk about the atmosphere lately, the place will be electric for a huge game on an early Saturday evening.

IMO, a huge key will be the rebounding from the teams' respective 1-3 spots. Ours has been a major liability, and theirs has been a major strength. I think the Mason will hold his own against James, but how will our guards deal with the length, physicality and athleticism of FSU's perimeter players?

^Too late to edit, but here's what will be matching up tomorrow, in adjusted ratings:

Duke's #3 offense vs. FSU's #5 defense.

and...

FSU's #115 offense vs. Duke's #60 defense.

It'll be interesting to see which one gives.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Duke get beaten, or to see Duke absolutely handle FSU. FSU is so hot-and-cold this year (especially on the road), and with this offense-vs-defense matchup, something has to give. I also think that, with all the talk about the atmosphere lately, the place will be electric for a huge game on an early Saturday evening.

IMO, a huge key will be the rebounding from the teams' respective 1-3 spots. Ours has been a major liability, and theirs has been a major strength. I think the Mason will hold his own against James, but how will our guards deal with the length, physicality and athleticism of FSU's perimeter players?
    This will be key to our success. I expect Miles, Mason, Ryan and Josh to play tough against FSU's bigs. But not so sure how our guards will do against the taller FSU guards. Since I don't think we can out-quick them, we'll need to play under control. I look for Duke to get the Noles in foul trouble and that could decide the outcome. GoDuke!
    Last edited by Newton_14; 01-21-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Dulkys

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Me and you both. I am fully expecting a very tough game. FSU has great size and length. Their defense is going to give us trouble. We cannot get jump-shot happy and ignore the big fella's inside. On defense, we have to defend the 3-Point line well on the perimeter, and avoid foul trouble with the Plum's and Kelly. We should be able to exploit the match-up with Dulkys though. Andre can shoot over him, and Austin can explode by him.

We need a strong ball-handling game to avoid giving FSU runouts and easy buckets. The last two games aside, FSU can still struggle to put the ball in the hole. We need to force them to take tough shots, then rebound well to keep them off the offensive glass.

FSU under Hamilton has played Duke really tough, even in Cameron, so I expect a game much like the UVA game that goes down to the wire.
    I thought he was listed as 6'5". I wonder how Andre is supposed to shoot over him.

Keys

One key we might have is the ability of Austin to get by his first line defender and either get a mid range shot off or pass to an open shooter. I doubt if they can contain Austin one on one.

The same may be siad for Quinn, if he is healthy enough to play. Also, we may be able to run on this team with our speed and depth but we need either Tyler or Quinn to push the ball hard and get to the basket before they can set up defense.

While Andre is confidently hitting his shots, this will be a test for him. He did move more without the ball, but showed no dribble penetration or fakes to draw defenders off their feet with a sidestep move like Scheyer was so good at. So Andre is still looking one dimensional and needs screens and movement to get his shot off. We shall see on him.

Ryan may also hold a key offensively, since he may be able to take him man away from the basket.

Seth is cute with his moves and could be tough for them to defend without fouling.

I don't look for much out of the Plumlees from a scoring perspective, but we will need them to play tough defense and rebounding. Kelly will also need to put his rebounding shoes on.

I expect this to be a very physical game with an emphasis put on defense by both teams. We can't let Dulkys make threes or it will be curtains.

We must take care of the ball today as Florida State is #1 in the ACC in Steals and Blocked Shots. They average 8.8 and 6.6 per game respectively. On defense, we must keep Florida State off the offensive glass. The Seminoles are #2 in the ACC in Offensive Rebound Percentage (.392):

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb.../confldrs.html

I'm expecting a close game, which could come down to who has a better day at the free throw line.
    Bob Green

You all have me nervous after reading this thread. I suppose I should be.

I think our defense needs to show up for 40 minutes otherwise FSU will beat us on intensity and it will snowball with us getting sloppier and them getting loose balls and hustle plays. If we come out with the requisite intensity we'll be alright. If not, watch out.

toughest game

With Ian Miller back in the line-up, FSU is hitting on all cylinders right now. This may be the most talented team we have seen in Cameron in the past couple of years, and I expect a very tough fight. FSU will turn the ball over, and we will need to convert some of those turnovers into transition points, b/c the offense is not going to come very easy for us. Miles, Mason, and Ryan are going to have to bring their best games, especially on the boards, and we are going to need to hit our 3 point shots to win today.

This game reminds me of some of the battles we had in the late 80's - let's hope the crowd rises to the occasion and helps us bring home another key ACC win.

didn't clemson kill these guys?

we need to play hard nosed BB for 40 min...

the crowd needs to be NUTS!!! I'm LOOKIN AT YOU CRAZIES!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Yeah

NEVER forget the Crazies.

Go Crazies!

Bernard James

The Crazies should sing the Air Force fight song to him during warmups! "Off we go into the wild blue yonder!"

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    With Ian Miller back in the line-up, FSU is hitting on all cylinders right now. This may be the most talented team we have seen in Cameron in the past couple of years, and I expect a very tough fight. FSU will turn the ball over, and we will need to convert some of those turnovers into transition points, b/c the offense is not going to come very easy for us. Miles, Mason, and Ryan are going to have to bring their best games, especially on the boards, and we are going to need to hit our 3 point shots to win today.

This game reminds me of some of the battles we had in the late 80's - let's hope the crowd rises to the occasion and helps us bring home another key ACC win.
    I agree that this should be a tough game and I would love for Duke to win by 12 as the betting line states. I think it will be closer, but by no means is this anywhere near the most talented team in Cameron the past couple of years. This team is nowhere near being ranked, though a win in Cameron might change that. Duke has already played one ranked team in Cameron this year, played 3 last year, including a UNC team with multiple first round picks on the roster. I highly doubt this is the most talented team to come to Cameron the past couple of years, though they may be the first to come out of Cameron with a victory in quite awhile. I hope Duke plays a great game and the home win streak continues.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    This may be the most talented team we have seen in Cameron in the past couple of years, and I expect a very tough fight.
    Are you saying this Florida State team is more talented than last year's UNC team? I like it. But I agree with NSDukeFan that it isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I think the Mason will hold his own against James, but how will our guards deal with the length, physicality and athleticism of FSU's perimeter players?
    I agree that this is the key. Temple's big perimeter gave us fits. Ohio State's big perimeter dominated us. The problem is Andre and Seth can't shoot over these guys. They'll have to lose them with a lot of movement off the ball. I also agree with Saratoga2 that Austin will be a key matchup advantage for us. Florida State should have problems containing him one-on-one. I hope he kicks out some, though, rather than taking it one-on-three near the rim every time. Some games he looks to pass more and some less.

Combining Florida State's perimeter size and Quinn's indisposition, I suspect we'll see a lot of the Seth/Austin/Andre lineup today. Maybe even as a starting lineup.