Sorry, but the Onion just isn't funny

Honestly, I am not sure it ever HAS been funny, and I know it definitely is not funny now.

I know some people adore it, but the best the Onion has ever been is just-about-mildly-amusing. Usually it isn't particularly witty, but instead relies on basically the same humor across all jokes.

Eh, to each their own I suppose, but it's never made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Honestly, I am not sure it ever HAS been funny, and I know it definitely is not funny now.

I know some people adore it, but the best the Onion has ever been is just-about-mildly-amusing. Usually it isn't particularly witty, but instead relies on basically the same humor across all jokes.

If this or this fail to make you chuckle even a little, then you, sir, have no sense of humor. ; )

The first one made me chuckle, but only because it hit a soft spot. The second... Not really? I don't know... I just feel like they hit the same general tone with the majority of their pieces.

Then again, I also thought "Bridesmaids" was not really funny at all, so maybe it is me.

(But seriously... That movie was simply not that funny!)

i never thought one second of the Austin Powers movie was funny at all...and i love mike meyers...

different strokes for different folks...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I think the Onion is hilarious, enjoyed Devil Alumna's links and was actually crying I was laughing so hard at one scene in Bridesmaids. I guess I am easily entertained.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quantum pants

This Onion article has stuck with me for years. I agree that the stories have a numbingly-consistent tone, but when they get it right, they get it right.

"We have attempted to measure the exact dimensions of these counterintuitive slacks, if only to know what rack to store them on," Haggar physicist Dr. Mattias Kohl said. "But we've learned, to our dismay, that if we measure length, we lose sight of waist size and vice versa. These slacks defy all traditional means of measurement."

Here's what I think about the linked articles. The first, the kid in a wheel chair story, was sacrilegious to all but a few. The second, the aspirin whiskey combo, would be funny to any dedicated alcoholic, but stupid to any one else. The third, the Haggar Quantum Slacks story, seemed a bit humorous at first, but got quite boring just as I stopped reading it.

Sometimes, humor also depends on your mood. I have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail several times. Sometimes, it is hysterical and other times it has to be the dumbest movie I have ever seen. It's all in the timing.

Hmm, try this.

I can get tired of their shtick, but sometimes they are right on target.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Sometimes, it is hysterical and other times it has to be the dumbest movie I have ever seen.
    You say that like it's contradictory. ;>)

I think the Onion is hilarious and I check out their videos section often. My all-time favorite has to be this. But here's my confession - I don't think Monty Python and the Holy Grail is funny at all. Part of the problem is that I was 20 the first time I saw it and I had spent my entire life hearing how awesome it was. But I just don't get it. People are all the time spewing quotes from the movie and then cracking up and it just isn't funny to me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    After pondering the title of this thread, I've decided to accept Lord Ash's apology for the Onion not being funny.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

but it IS funny...

a wise person once said "funny is funny"....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

I find Beavis and Butthead to be crass and not particularly funny. If anything relies on "basically the same humor across all jokes" that certainly qualifies. To each his own, I suppose.

- Special Olympics T-ball Stand Pitches Perfect Game.
    - Sean Penn Demands To Know What !@#$%^& Took SeanPenn@gmail.com
    - Nation's Dog Owners Want To Know Who's A Good Boy
    - U.S. Launches AIDS-Awareness Campaign In Botswana: 'You All Have AIDS,' Says U.S
    - Bush announces Iraq exit strategy: We'll go through Iran
    - Dwarf Falls Equivalent Of 10 Stories
    - Horrific 26 car pileup a sad reminder of Princess Diana's death
    - Dept. Of Homeland Security: 'Has Anybody Seen A Blue Folder?'
    - Study: Dolphins Not So Intelligent On Land
    - Black Panthers Keep Starting Lineup Secret; "I Repeat, We Are Not A Basketball Team," Says Cleaver

Our Dumb Century is still one of my all-time favorite books.

On the lines of funny or not funny. My buddy shot this video from a high school game last weekend. I know Im not supposed to laugh but I just cant stop. Maybe its because its friday and Im in a good mood.
    Point Guard Meet Center

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i never thought one second of the Austin Powers movie was funny at all...and i love mike meyers...

different strokes for different folks...
    When the Irish criminal said, "They're always after me lucky charms.", I missed the next 20 seconds of the movie due to a laughing fit.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!