Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very sorry to hear this news, and I feel foolish for assuming that post-game walking would mean that the injury could not be season-ending.

Here's hoping for a fast recovery for Mr. Strickland, and that the Heels are able to pull together.

Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Very sorry to hear this news, and I feel foolish for assuming that post-game walking would mean that the injury could not be season-ending.

Here's hoping for a fast recovery for Mr. Strickland, and that the Heels are able to pull together.
    Hate to see any good kid sidelined like that. I hope he will make a full recovery for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Not to demean the injury at all.. hope for a great recovery for strickland.. But in what ways do you see this affecting the Heels?
    On offense they'll be fine. Bullock and Hairston are better outside shooters than Strickland so they're not losing anything there. It hurts them with depth because Strickland could slide over to PG whenever Marshall needed a breather. Now Stillman White is their only option. Marshall has shown he can play heavy minutes but that's a pretty steep dropoff whenever he comes out, which puts a lot of pressure on him especially with how they like to run at every opportunity.

Defense is where this injury really hurts them. I think they're a better team defensively than most people give them credit for, but Strickland was their best perimeter defender and filled the "guy who guards the other team's best scorer" role. So Bullock and/or Hairston will need to step it up defensively. Overall they're still a top-10 team and potentially a top-5 IMO as opponents still have to content with that ridiculous front line.

Tough news. Hate to see players get hurt. Strickland seems to be a high character guy, and I think -- in the long run -- this is going to be a bigger loss for Carolina than it appears. It really leaves them vulnerable if Marshall tweaks an ankle or gets in foul trouble. In a one game, winner take all situation, this type situation could spell the end without a viable back-up. In addition, Strickland's defense and offensive efficiency (he takes good percentage shots and makes them at a 57% rate from the field) were strong points...I think Hairston is a high quality shooter and going to be an excellent player eventually, but he has struggled with his shot thus far this season (34% from the field and from 3-pt land). While Bullock is a nice talent, I'm not sure he makes his teammates better.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    On offense they'll be fine. Bullock and Hairston are better outside shooters than Strickland so they're not losing anything there. It hurts them with depth because Strickland could slide over to PG whenever Marshall needed a breather. Now Stillman White is their only option. Marshall has shown he can play heavy minutes but that's a pretty steep dropoff whenever he comes out, which puts a lot of pressure on him especially with how they like to run at every opportunity.
    I disagree. Strick is one of the only folks on that UNC team that could create his own shot. Marshall has a nice little slow thing to the left that's working but I'm pretty sure that's scouted by now. Wear Marshall out and you eliminate his already shaky jump shot and you throw UNC's offense into disarray. Wear Marshall out and a guy that's already a step slow on defense becomes a huge liability. PJ Hairston in no point guard, this is a guy I've seen look off John Wall - so he's not passing the rock much. In fact, in the Tech game Hairston shot what had to be a 30 foot 3 pointer, missed, and hit the bench. Now all of a sudden UNC is big and lumbering with their two fastest players out for the year. Can Barnes handle the load? I don't think so, especially if the Heels get down huge.

And as far as a back-up point guard goes. Meet Stilman White - and the only clip I could find of him on the net actually playing bball. You be the judge but I believe the Heels are in for some fights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wopll85o0

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I disagree. Strick is one of the only folks on that UNC team that could create his own shot. Marshall has a nice little slow thing to the left that's working but I'm pretty sure that's scouted by now. Wear Marshall out and you eliminate his already shaky jump shot and you throw UNC's offense into disarray. Wear Marshall out and a guy that's already a step slow on defense becomes a huge liability. PJ Hairston in no point guard, this is a guy I've seen look off John Wall - so he's not passing the rock much. In fact, in the Tech game Hairston shot what had to be a 30 foot 3 pointer, missed, and hit the bench. Now all of a sudden UNC is big and lumbering with their two fastest players out for the year. Can Barnes handle the load? I don't think so, especially if the Heels get down huge.

And as far as a back-up point guard goes. Meet Stilman White - and the only clip I could find of him on the net actually playing bball. You be the judge but I believe the Heels are in for some fights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wopll85o0
    I read on twitter this AM that Unc is .84 in AdjD with Dexter on the court and .92 without him. Unc is currently ranked #11 in D on KenPom and will likely drop considerably. He's their best on the ball defender.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I read on twitter this AM that Unc is .84 in AdjD with Dexter on the court and .92 without him. Unc is currently ranked #11 in D on KenPom and will likely drop considerably. He's their best on the ball defender.
    I wonder if those numbers are adjusted? .92 would make them almost as bad as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

I still don't think their offense will be hurt that much. He really didn't "create" all that often. It's not like they run 5-10 iso plays for him every game. Much of his scoring came in transition, and on quick plays, and that is something that they will miss. No one else on that team gets up the floor quite as quickly as he does. I don't think their offense will be that much worse, but they will have to adjust. They will be replacing him with guys who are shooters, which is a club that Strickland certainly didn't have in his bag. It's not that bad for them though, given the tighter rotation and that Marshall will probably be playing 35+ min/game the rest of the way. Having an offensive change that slows them down just a bit (they're 2nd in adjusted tempo right now) might be what they have to do. I don't see the back-up point guard being too much of an issue, since Marshall was already playing more minutes than anyone else on the team. He doesn't have a speed based game anyway, so I can see him going from 31 to 35 or 37 minutes without too much trouble. If they can't hold down the fort for 3-5 minutes spread throughout the first half, they have bigger issues than Marshall being on the bench.

The defense, though is a different story. They just need guys to flat out play better than before.