Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dexter Strickland Out for Year

Hate this for anybody even if they do play for UNC. It looks really bad and he is arguably the best on ball defender defender on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Hate this for anybody even if they do play for UNC. It looks really bad and he is arguably the best on ball defender defender on the team.
    Looked like an ACL to me the way he hit the floor. UNC is deep in the front court but this could hurt them in the backcourt especially on the defensive end.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Call me crazy, but this could be really good for the Heels. I'm not trying to take anything away from Strickland or his game, but inserting Bullock into the starting lineup will make them more explosive offensively, and will also vastly increase PJ Hairston's minutes off the bench. Unless what I saw in the McDonald's game was a fluke, that young man has loads of talent that should emerge more and more with experience.

Hopefully- for his sake, and the Heels' sake- it isn't season-ending. I still think Strickland is an asset to their team, but playing 5 or so games without him could help the team discover more about itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    Call me crazy, but this could be really good for the Heels. I'm not trying to take anything away from Strickland or his game, but inserting Bullock into the starting lineup will make them more explosive offensively, and will also vastly increase PJ Hairston's minutes off the bench. Unless what I saw in the McDonald's game was a fluke, that young man has loads of talent that should emerge more and more with experience.

Hopefully- for his sake, and the Heels' sake- it isn't season-ending. I still think Strickland is an asset to their team, but playing 5 or so games without him could help the team discover more about itself.
    True but defensively this could be very bad? A starting lineup of Marshall, PJ and Barnes all of whom are the worst defensive players that get good minutes. Bullock is not much better either..

It sure didn't look good at all. It seems injuries are almost always worse when a player gets injured with out any contact.

By all accounts he seems like a nice kid... I wish him a speedy & full recovery.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

He was walking around the locker room on his own power. That's an awfully good sign.

Always want the Heels to lose. Never want the Heels to lose players to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    He was walking around the locker room on his own power. That's an awfully good sign.

Great news b/c me and the crew's initial reaction was: SEASON OVER!!!

I gotta say, Dexter is one of my favorite Heels ever. He would have been a great Blue Devil, he seems like that type of kid.

Great news to hear that he is moving around on his own. Hopefully, it is just a sprain.

Good news is that it seemed to improve as the evening wore on. I was sure it was an ACL when it happened. I'm praying it's just a strain.

It would be a tough loss for us primarily because of his role as back-up point guard. Yes, we would miss his D and ability to create in the open court, but Bullock is a solid defender and, at least until Bullock's recent slump, we have had much better offensive efficiency with Bullock and Marshall than with DS and Marshall. Actually, our defensive efficiency doesn't drop off that much either. But if Stillman White has to play significant minutes at the point, that's bad news for us.

Let's hope he doesn't miss much, if any, time

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Good news is that it seemed to improve as the evening wore on. I was sure it was an ACL when it happened. I'm praying it's just a strain.

It would be a tough loss for us primarily because of his role as back-up point guard. Yes, we would miss his D and ability to create in the open court, but Bullock is a solid defender and, at least until Bullock's recent slump, we have had much better offensive efficiency with Bullock and Marshall than with DS and Marshall. Actually, our defensive efficiency doesn't drop off that much either. But if Stillman White has to play significant minutes at the point, that's bad news for us.
    That's interesting about the defense, but if he were out for a prolonged period, I still think UNC's defensive efficiency would take a hit. Having Marshall and Bullock/Hairston as your starting guards doesn't strike me as a very good defensive perimeter.

And I agree with you about the point. Would put even more pressure on Marshall. Teams already have every incentive to pressure him as much as possible on both ends of the floor, of course.

Wishing him well!

It's always a sad event when a young person get's injured doing what they love to do!
    Basketball talk aside, no X's and O's, no +'s or -'s...

Let's just universally, wish Dexter a speedy and complete recovery !!!
    Last edited by BluDvlsN1; 01-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Austin's sister must be distressed.

Hope Dex will be ok.

Unfortunately, you cannot judge the severity of an ACL/MCL injury based on Strickland walking after the game. Many athletes have torn their ACL/MCL and still walked on it. It is the lateral movement of the knee that is painful, not the normal walking movement.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Agreed - very telling that Marshall played 37 minutes last night even though the game wasn't all that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Agreed - very telling that Marshall played 37 minutes last night even though the game wasn't all that close.
    He wasn't the only one... I noticed that the core group was in there with only a minute or so to go (Barnes, Henson, Zeller, Marshall)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    He wasn't the only one... I noticed that the core group was in there with only a minute or so to go (Barnes, Henson, Zeller, Marshall)
    Can we safely assume the unc coach was still on the sidelines as the final seconds ticked down?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Can we safely assume the unc coach was still on the sidelines as the final seconds ticked down?
    I wouldn't make that assumption.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Unfortunately, you cannot judge the severity of an ACL/MCL injury based on Strickland walking after the game. Many athletes have torn their ACL/MCL and still walked on it. It is the lateral movement of the knee that is painful, not the normal walking movement.
    Your comments are absolutely correct. I have torn the ACL in both my right knee and left knee playing basketball. After a few minutes on the ground I got up and walked away under my own power (hoping and praying it was just a sprain knee). However deep inside I knew it had to be either my ACL or PCL because my stability was weak and wobbly. The way Strickland clutched his knee was exactly the same way I clutched mine. One of the tell-tale signs of a possible ACL tear is if you hear that "POP" and soon there after the swelling ensues. I instantly said a prayer for Strickland because I wouldn't wish the rehab from a ACL tear on anybody.

Good sport

Exactly. I never want to see any of these kids - on anybody's team - seriously injured, as it could affect their whole future.

He's injured the same knee before

Apparently last year he suffered a "slightly torn" meniscus last March.