Possible Reason for Improvement of Our Big Men

A few weeks ago I heard a comment from Coach K on a radio show in which he said that Jeff Capel has been working with our big men this year. Coincidentally (or not), our big men--Miles, Mason, and Ryan--have all made great strides recently. Miles' game is more well-rounded than ever on both offense and defense. Though his play is inconsistent, he is finally starting to show that professional basketball might be in his future. Mason has been even more consistent and dynamic than he was last year. His rebounding, defense, and offensive moves are all improved. If he could ever get his free throws to a 65-70% level he'd be an NBA lock for the next ten years. Ryan is scoring better on both the inside and outside, rebounding better, and playing decent defense. He still lacks great movement and can't jump particularly well--casting doubt on a possible NBA career--but it's now not out of the question for him. I'm not trying to knock Wojo here; I like him. I'm just surprised that I haven't heard much discussion of Jeff's contributions.
    Last edited by Steven43; 01-20-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    A few weeks ago I heard a comment from Coach K on a radio show in which he said that Jeff Capel has been working with our big men this year. Coincidentally (or not), our big men--Miles, Mason, and Ryan--have all made great strides recently. Miles' game is more well-rounded than ever on both offense and defense. Though his play is inconsistent, he is finally starting to show that professional basketball might be in his future. Mason has been even more consistent and dynamic than he was last year. His rebounding, defense, and offensive moves are all improved. If he could ever get his free throws to a 65-70% level he'd be an NBA lock for the next ten years. Ryan is scoring better on both the inside and outside, rebounding better, and playing decent defense. He still lacks great movement and can't jump particularly well--casting doubt on a possible NBA career--but it's now not out of the question for him. I'm not trying to knock Wojo here; I like him. I'm just surprised that I haven't heard much discussion of Jeff's contributions.
    Jeff was a guard, so therefore could not help big men improve their skills.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Because

Isn't more likely that the improvement has resulted from maturation? We're talking about one senior and two juniors. Also, Brian Zoubek showed a lot of improvement two years ago, when Jeff Capel was at Oklahoma. Also, the renewed emphasis on our low post offense also has to play a role.

True Growth

Actually the reason for our big guys improvement is, Wojo grew an inch since last season. We have had discussion on Jeff's assistance with our bigs. Don't remember if it was on this board or not. GoDuke!

Some of this is our bigs getting more shot opportunities this year with Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie gone. We need their offense and they are more polished offensively now than last year and the year before. Some of this is it takes a while to learn Coach K's defensive scheme and execute it at a high level. Lance and Kyle could do it early on, but it took Zoubek a few years to get it and to contribute to the D for long stretches without fouling. Miles has turned that corner and Ryan and Mason are close.

I'm sure it's helpful to have Capel involved and I dont think this really says all that much about Wojo. I'd attribute it mostly to time in the system, game reps and maturation.

I find it hard to believe that Capel is a better teacher than Wojo, just my opinion. I also think that maybe it's just through the large amounts of PT that they are starting to utilize what they have been taught for the last few years and are naturally getting better.
    Last edited by Devilsfan; 01-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.

the real reason

Wojo is wearing eight inch elevator shoes at practice.

It's the facial hair that makes the difference. I'd credit their personal groomers.

Or, maybe, they're just getting better as they work harder and learn more.

Probably a 50/50 shot here.

Duke is playing with a double low post; the two are rotating, with one setting an off the ball screen for one another sometimes, others Ryan has been flashing high; the offense seems geared, there are plays being called, to get the ball to a wing for the express purpose of getting it inside, often to someone on the move, the bigs are being asked to make athletic catches, there is a significant cost to help coming off the low post to stop the hook moves to the center (a staple of Mason going left, now more often also going right, we saw one from Ryan last night). I've also seen what seemed like a hint from the guard to Mason or Ryan or from either of the two out that has lead to some of the most effective athletic catches (catches a reciever in football or an infielder in baseball would raise an eyebrow) that gave an inside line to the backet and excellent opportunities at the rim for both of them and Miles as well.

Capel's presense was my guess early on but it really was just a guess, albeit with some evidence to suggest that he might well very hands on with respect to the pass-penetration game and not just by helping the bigs. Don't forget, Capel has been a head coach for a while, and it is likely that he used pass penetration to low post scores in his approach to offense (most teams do).

That said, I am sure that K decided to go in this direction and has devised most, if not all, the deployments. Last night, I thought it was smashing how several guards took it from the left wing, inside the foul line extended, on the dribble to finish often free as a bird on the right side. I believe that those plays often, if not always, began with a screen by Mason, and that Ryan probably came across the lane to file Mason's low post spot on the left side. I would imagine that the other two players were deployed in a manner (location, probably one on top shading to the right of center and the other towards the right corner (probably Dawkins) that made help all but impossible. They went to that play a number of times and maybe failed to score only once or twice.

Nicest play of the game for me--Cook catching it wide open at the top, taking a dribble towards the rim and shot a much better percentage shot for him and scored the ball. Threes are great, but sometimes a two is much the better play. Now that I think about it, the best new thing I saw last night probably has to go to those 4-6 or 7 foot floaters by Rivers.
    Last edited by greybeard; 01-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Some of this is our bigs getting more shot opportunities this year with Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie gone. We need their offense and they are more polished offensively now than last year and the year before. Some of this is it takes a while to learn Coach K's defensive scheme and execute it at a high level. Lance and Kyle could do it early on, but it took Zoubek a few years to get it and to contribute to the D for long stretches without fouling. Miles has turned that corner and Ryan and Mason are close.

I'm sure it's helpful to have Capel involved and I dont think this really says all that much about Wojo. I'd attribute it mostly to time in the system, game reps and maturation.
    I really wish we could find a better way to explain Brain's transformation into the beast we all know and love. Saying, "It took Zoubek a few years to get it" makes it sound like he was mentally challenged, when in fact it was the injuries that derailed/slowed his career.

Anyone who's game enough to play night in and night out with a steel shank in his shoe, like Brian did gets my vote for heart and determination.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The OP conveniently left out the major part of K's comments that day. The reason for the move (and it happened after the season had begun) was so Wojo could work with the three PG's (Curry, Quinn, Tyler) to help them improve their on ball defense, among other things. So all three are enrolled in the Wojo School of how to be a great defending PG.

Coach Capel is a fine coach, as is Wojo. I find it a bit unfair though to hand the new guy all the credit for the improvement of 3 bigs whom Wojo has nurtured and brought along over a 3 and 4 year period. Nate has helped them as well, as has at times Carrawell when he was with the team. Our 3 bigs have all been improved year over year, and would have improved with or without the addition of Capel. I am sure Capel has also helped them in various ways as well, but it is silly to suggest their improvement is all about Coach Capel working with them the last few weeks.

We have a great staff who put forth a team effort in helping nurture and develop every single player on the team irregardless of position. I see no need at all to praise one of the assistants above the others when players improve.

What??! Everybody knows Duke bigs just set screens for the guards...

Hey, maybe we'll finally get a couple of bigs into the NBA!!

Kudos to the whole staff. Great to see all of the hard work finally getting recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I really wish we could find a better way to explain Brain's transformation into the beast we all know and love. Saying, "It took Zoubek a few years to get it" makes it sound like he was mentally challenged, when in fact it was the injuries that derailed/slowed his career.

Anyone who's game enough to play night in and night out with a steel shank in his shoe, like Brian did gets my vote for heart and determination.
    Zoub's "transformation" was as simple as getting healthy. It took until his senior year to get his feet and legs 100% and get his entire self into "game shape" because he could run freely. But truly, the light "went on" defensively for both Zoubs and Lance in January 2010. By chance, I was sitting in an endzone seat in Cameron (instead of my normal sideline behind the basket seat) and could really see the defensive lanes at the far end of the court. Watching the help defense by these two was like watching a ballet! I commented here about this at the time. Those two worked K's help defense to near perfection, and it was beautiful! Realize it took two seniors to do this, but it can happen. Miles is a senior, but Mason and Ryan are "only" juniors and they are a work in progress. I won't even throw Josh Hairston into this conversation because he hasn't gotten the playing time of the other three. Hopefully by later this year our three upper classmen can emulate Zoubs and Lance.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    But truly, the light "went on" defensively for both Zoubs and Lance in January 2010.
    I think it happened long before that. I attended the games in Madison Square Garden in November 2009, and I remarked how well Lance and Z shut down UConn's quick, athletic guys even though the UConn guys easily beat our perimeter defenders.

Everyone says the light went on for Z late that season, but the only "light" I think went on is he learned how to stay on the court without getting into foul trouble. That was key, but the rest of it (the offensive rebounding, the defensive presence, etc.) had been there all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think it happened long before that. I attended the games in Madison Square Garden in November 2009, and I remarked how well Lance and Z shut down UConn's quick, athletic guys even though the UConn guys easily beat our perimeter defenders.

Everyone says the light went on for Z late that season, but the only "light" I think went on is he learned how to stay on the court without getting into foul trouble. That was key, but the rest of it (the offensive rebounding, the defensive presence, etc.) had been there all season.
    I would argue that was a pretty important light. Anyone could defend if fouls were unlimited. A real defensive presence is one based on ability to defend without fouling and, thus, staying on the court. Lacking that ability, a 7 footer is nothing more than a 15 min/game big body (which can at times be useful).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I would argue that was a pretty important light. Anyone could defend if fouls were unlimited. A real defensive presence is one based on ability to defend without fouling and, thus, staying on the court. Lacking that ability, a 7 footer is nothing more than a 15 min/game big body (which can at times be useful).
    Well, yes, except for several things. First, my recollection is many of his fouls came on moving screens, rather than on the defensive end. That has nothing to do with his defensive positioning and ability to intimidate shooters. Second, his defensive fouls (again this is my recollection, I don't have data to back this up) seemed to come mostly on reaches during our infamous hedge defense on the perimeter, and on close block/charge calls that could have gone either way. Obviously this has to do with defense, but again I'd say not so much about his interior positioning. Finally, after Z broke into the starting lineup with that big boxscore against Maryland, I didn't feel that Z was defending any differently, but I felt the refs were giving him more of the benefit of the doubt. The close block/charge calls started going his way, the reaches weren't called that often. They even stopped making the phantom traveling calls against him. And while it's possible he was doing something different and that's why the calls started going his way, that wasn't my observation at the time. I just think the refs stopped looking at him as a foul-prone (and travel-prone) "stiff" and started viewing him with more respect.

I may have imagined all that, but I don't think I did.

Many have pointed out that Capel was a head coach so maybe this is the reason for our bigs recent improvement. I take issue with this reasoning. To me the key word is "WAS". I bet if we had Blake Griffin on our roster everyone would be raving about the play of our bigs. Blake graduated and Capel also moved on.
    I think WoJo gets a bad rap because he is a 6' former guard. Go Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Capel is a better teacher than Wojo, just my opinion. I also think that maybe it's just through the large amounts of PT that they are starting to utilize what they have been taught for the last few years and are naturally getting better.
    Um Jeff Capel was a head coach at a major basketball school. He's coached one of the best players in the NBA. He lead a team to a number 1 ranking and an elite eight where they got knocked out by the national champs. What exactly makes you believe that he is a worse teacher than Wojo who has absolutely 0 accomplishments coaching on his own?