Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 91, Wake Forest 73 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Good to see that sparkle from the defense.

I'm pretty sure Elmore and Patrick are paid by the word. Jeez-o-pete did they blather tonight!

Good to see we played well enough to get everyone some minutes with FSU on Saturday. In the first half Andre could have shot it blind folded and made the 3. He had good instances of denying his man the ball, but he was burned on a few back doors. Austin not starting was a surprise. Probably a point made by Coach K. He played very well. To me Austin seems quick on his feet and could probably guard the pg. Seth had a good all around game. Once again getting those quick hands on many balls. I have not seen the box score so I can't comment much more than this. Good game for the good guys. Now beat the Noles. GoDuke!

Nice seeing Seth drive to the bucket more. Good he can show a more all-around game;
    helps open up his outside shooting some.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Hairston didn't commit a flagrant foul, but Daniel Ewing definitely deserved a T.

Dawk & Rivers each w/ 20 - does Seth take a turn as sixth man next?

Loved seeing Kelly take advantage of the mismatch in the post - hadn't seen that from him before.

Lots to like -

-Consistent intensity from the team from open to close
    -Solid and balanced offense
    -Great rebounding and hustle for loose balls
    -Got several players hot on offense for periods (I'm liking Rivers' decision making more and more and words can't even describe Andre's first half)
    -Continually disrupted Wake's sets
    -Maggette and Henderson in the stands
    -The shots and interview with Childress - one of my favorite non-Dukers in ACC history

Dislike -

-For being so much bigger, the Plumlees couldn't capitalize much on offense
    -Wake got too many easy shots (breaks or give and gos that led to wide open lay ups after switches)
    -Crowd (on TV) didn't seem as engaged as I would anticipate
    -Noticeable limp from Cook following that last three pointer

The bizarre Hairston foul that Elmore described as a terrible call for four minutes before changing his mind. Never did see a replay that was able to show Hairston giving nearly as much contact as McKie gave his teammate.

The takeaway -

It's a game we were supposed to win, and we won it the way we should have. Credit Wake for not throwing in the towel and keeping it below 20 for most of the second half - I think that program has bounced off the bottom and is headed in the right direction. I liked the line up changes - not for any particular reason other than I like that K is still mixing things up and tooling with the chemistry. 4-0 in ACC play puts us on top of the heap, at least until Saturday. Now, it's time to (gulp) root for the Hokies tonight and then get ready for a sure showdown on Saturday. Next play.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 01-19-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: language

I completely agree that Rivers decision making has improved tremendously. Great to see him finding the right balance tonight.

Andre. Wow.

Interesting game

I thought before the game that we should be able to win the game so I was looking for some keys to how players were progressing.

1. It was pretty clear that Andre was on his game from the get go. His shooting wasn't just good, it was outstanding and he played a decent defense.

2. I was looking for intensity at the outset and I thought the team came to play and got down to business with defense pressure and rebounding and with Austin not starting, Andre and Seth provided early points and Kelly was outstanding from the first substitution and throughout the game.

3. With Andre not starting I wondered if he would pick it up or stay off as he has recently been. With only about one exception he was aggressive and made good decisions. I had him at 20 points, Andre with 21, all in the first half, Ryan with 20, earned throughout the whole game and Seth with 14.

4. Mason shot reasonably well from the foul line. I think he hit 3 for 5, but I may be wrong. He was back to the hesitation foul shot with little arc but he hit 60% anyway.

5. I was looking for how well Quinn would do, but thought his defense was a little off and he did try to get the ball inside, but I liked Seth's game a little better tonight.

MY general thoughts on the game is that it was a good one for us and we did get to rest some of the key players and give some of the deeper subs some PT. Since we are playing a Thursday night and Saturday afternoon game, the lighter playing time for the starters should be a plus against FSU. My other thought is that Wake came out and attacked us with a determination to get off shots inside or get fouled. I thought we were giving up a lot of foul shots, many more than we got.

Anyhow, good game to build off of.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Dawk & Rivers each w/ 20 - does Seth take a turn as sixth man next?
    There's only one answer - ALPHABETICAL ROTATION.

Cook's knee giving him trouble

Saw this post game. Not very detailed and no status update but something to keep an eye on.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask.../post/16935604

If anyone has/sees video of the Hairston incident could they post it? I was at the game and didn't see anything, but then I wasn't really looking for major contact after the made FT (way to go Mason!)

Loved seeing Dre on fire in the first half but wish it would have carried over, and he took one or two really poor shots once he was "feeling it" that had almost no chance of going in. Otherwise a solid game, already looking forward to Saturday! Only question is will I have enough time to rest? 48 hours is a quick turnaround, I may still be tired

I thought the second half resembled a game against an over-matched non-conference team where there is a large margin, Duke substitutes freely, and the game gets sloppy.
    Wake is making some progress, but is still a pretty bad team.

Other than that, I enjoyed watching Andre shoot so well in the first half, and share the concern about Quinn Cook's knee giving him trouble.

Elmore and Patrick had no idea that Henderson was sitting next to Maggette at the Duke game tonight. Those two are clueless. They may had thought it was Jarrett Jack or Wayne Ellington.
    The Terrapin Assassin

The K post-game quotes were telling, especially..

"I don't like the word 'bench.' I don't know where that word comes from. Bench means that he sat on the bench. To me, he scored 20 points and played 32 minutes. Everybody should be benched like that. It's our look at trying to look at different lineups, different ways of doing this team. Was Ryan [Kelly] benched? I mean, we just started a different group, just like we started a different group in the second half against Clemson. Eight of our guys have started, so when one guy isn't starting, it doesn't mean he's awful. It means we're looking at a little bit different thing or way of doing the game. And that's just the way our team has to be."

I know he has said this kind of thing before, but is there a recent precedent for this kind of game-in/game out line-up shifting this late in the season? It seems as if starting is, indeed, being handed out meritocratically - practices must be insane. Perhaps because we don't have 1-2 dominant offensive players, it favors us to keep spinning the line-up wheel - it makes it harder to prepare to play against them...maybe?

-Dre, have you been watching JJ tapes? Not only for nailing 7 3s in one half, but also for how hard you were working to get open. It's when he works that hard to get a good look that we all get gaga about his talent. Funny how his offensive explosions tend to happen for one half only, but he's put together a nice string of games.

-I wish someone would/could measure our offensive efficiency when Mason, Miles or Ryan get an entry pass vs when they don't. We seem better when they do.

-Nice assist total for Tyler - he was feeding Dre's hot hand during that first half run.

-I agree, it was great seeing Maggette at the game with G. I hate when it when former players, no matter the length of their tenure or the problems they had (attitude, rule breaking), don't return and remain an active part of the program.

-Big game Saturday.

Pretty good intensity on defense tonight, which is good. Although Wake got a lot of layup chances, which is not so good.

The Andre chicken-and-egg thing to me seems to start with him hitting a shot and the team taking notice. He clearly works harder to get open if he thinks he's going to get the ball. Once he hits a few, the team would be crazy not to feed him, and he knows it so he works even harder. If he doesn't think he's going to get the ball then he stands around more. Having said that, he was also more active on D and when he had the ball early. He tried to feed the post several times. In the second half Andre seemed to think the team didn't need his effort so he laid back more.

Tyler had 8 assists against 1 turnover, but it was misleading. Six of the 8 were first half assists on Andre three-pointers. His other two assists were also on first half three-pointers (one by Seth and one by Austin). He didn't pass inside much. I'll give him credit for finding three-point shooters (which is not always his strength), but I'm still not impressed with the way he runs the offense.

I hope Quinn's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Loved seeing Kelly take advantage of the mismatch in the post - hadn't seen that from him before.
    I knew he had it in him. That's why I'm not worried about him playing C next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Elmore and Patrick had no idea that Henderson was sitting next to Maggette at the Duke game tonight. Those two are clueless. They may had thought it was Jarrett Jack or Wayne Ellington.
    Yes they did. They identified both of them by name and mentioned they were teammates on Charlotte. I've never been a big fan of Elmore, but he scored points with me by saying -- several times -- that the top three teams in the ACC were obviously Duke, Virginia, and Florida State, and that he guessed you had to give the edge for the fourth spot to UNC.

Yes they did. They identified both of them by name and mentioned they were teammates on Charlotte. I've never been a big fan of Elmore, but he scored points with me by saying -- several times -- that the top three teams in the ACC were obviously Duke, Virginia, and Florida State, and that he guessed you had to give the edge for the fourth spot to UNC.[/QUOTE]

Go back and watch the game again. I rewinded the tape twice and they never mentioned Maggette as being the player next to Henderson. Yes they mentioned they were teammates in Charlotte but they never said it was Corey. Elmore is so anti-Duke how could you become a fan tonight? Their commentary was so far off and I am as big a Duke fan as they come and I am sorry UNC is still the #1 team in the ACC. They took a big loss to FSU but come on it is Duke/UNC and everyone else. Watch UNC on the boards and you will see it. The talent is there and Duke has the edge in coaching.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Yes they did. They identified both of them by name and mentioned they were teammates on Charlotte. I've never been a big fan of Elmore, but he scored points with me by saying -- several times -- that the top three teams in the ACC were obviously Duke, Virginia, and Florida State, and that he guessed you had to give the edge for the fourth spot to UNC.
    Go back and watch the game again. I rewinded the tape twice and they never mentioned Maggette as being the player next to Henderson. Yes they mentioned they were teammates in Charlotte but they never said it was Corey. Elmore is so anti-Duke how could you become a fan tonight? Their commentary was so far off and I am as big a Duke fan as they come and I am sorry UNC is still the #1 team in the ACC. They took a big loss to FSU but come on it is Duke/UNC and everyone else. Watch UNC on the boards and you will see it. The talent is there and Duke has the edge in coaching.
    Hmm I will have to check but I thought I recalled both being mentioned as teammates for Charlotte as well. I would not put UNC number 1 over Duke but they are my number 2 until they play Virginia

I don't have to watch it again. I am embarrassed to admit I didn't immediately recognize Corey, and I only realized who it was because either Patrick or Elmore identified him (although perhaps not at the exact point you were rewinding). Also, I didn't say I thought UNC was #4, but I thought it was hilarious that Elmore said that several times. I also didn't say I was a fan of Elmore, simply that he scored some points with me tonight. Putting all that aside, at some point you can't say UNC is #1 in the league based on talent without results. Not sure we're at that point yet, but if not we're pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't have to watch it again. I am embarrassed to admit I didn't immediately recognize Corey, and I only realized who it was because either Patrick or Elmore identified him (although perhaps not at the exact point you were rewinding). Also, I didn't say I thought UNC was #4, but I thought it was hilarious that Elmore said that several times. I also didn't say I was a fan of Elmore, simply that he scored some points with me tonight. Putting all that aside, at some point you can't say UNC is #1 in the league based on talent without results. Not sure we're at that point yet, but if not we're pretty close.
    Must say I was in the same boat as you... I did not recognize him either until someone on tv said something. Don't feel to embarrassed.