Thread: Haywire review

Haywire review

My review of this spy/action flick can be summed up in 3 words...

Bourne on Estrogen!

If you liked the Jason Bourne films with Matt Damon, I think you will really enjoy Haywire. Much like those movies, this is not a film filled with explosions and computer-enhanced stunts. It is very much just hand-to-hand action and is really fun to watch. The plot hums along nicely for the first hour or so and then gets a tad convoluted. The ending was tidy but strained credibility a little bit. Still, I enjoyed the story and unraveling the mystery.

Gina Carano is an action star in the making. She is beautiful but also tough enough that you can believe she is kicking butt against these bigger guys. Her fight scenes are really well-done. The supporting cast is full of recognizable, quality actors. Steven Soderberg is a fabulous director. He could direct the phone book and it would be worth watching. This film, at time, has a bit of a Sodeberg-Oceans 11/12/13 feel to it, though obviously it is not as glitzy nor is it nearly as funny.

I am not going to say more, other than... see it! If you are even a mild action fan, you will like this film.

-Jason "shows that you do not need to spend $100 mil to make a quality action movie" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My review of this spy/action flick can be summed up in 3 words...

Bourne on Estrogen!

If you liked the Jason Bourne films with Matt Damon, I think you will really enjoy Haywire. Much like those movies, this is not a film filled with explosions and computer-enhanced stunts. It is very much just hand-to-hand action and is really fun to watch. The plot hums along nicely for the first hour or so and then gets a tad convoluted. The ending was tidy but strained credibility a little bit. Still, I enjoyed the story and unraveling the mystery.

Gina Carano is an action star in the making. She is beautiful but also tough enough that you can believe she is kicking butt against these bigger guys. Her fight scenes are really well-done. The supporting cast is full of recognizable, quality actors. Steven Soderberg is a fabulous director. He could direct the phone book and it would be worth watching. This film, at time, has a bit of a Sodeberg-Oceans 11/12/13 feel to it, though obviously it is not as glitzy nor is it nearly as funny.

I am not going to say more, other than... see it! If you are even a mild action fan, you will like this film.

-Jason "shows that you do not need to spend $100 mil to make a quality action movie" Evans
    Boy, doesn't that seem to be the belief these days!! (re the need to pour in $$ and special effects to be "legitimate") My other pet peve is that you HAVE to have name stars in all the major roles in order to draw at the box office. No wonder we're paying $11+ for tickets every time out... Arrgh!

Thanks for the review Jason. As a mild action fan who also likes the Bourne movies, you have piqued my curiosity enough to go see it. Will let you know what I think. Seems like a "light" period in the movie calendar, so not a whole bunch of heavy-duty competition right at the moment - so Haywire could do quite well.

So sad that more folks are not interested in this movie and posting in this thread.

So sad that on Friday Haywire only did $2.9 mil in boxoffice while the incredibly mediocre Contraband did $3.7 mil. Really? More people want to see another Mark Whalberg mess than something truly original and cool? Sigh.

Rotten Tomatoes has Haywire at 82%. See it, people!

-Jason "I really want this movie to do well so we get a sequel" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So sad that more folks are not interested in this movie and posting in this thread.

So sad that on Friday Haywire only did $2.9 mil in boxoffice while the incredibly mediocre Contraband did $3.7 mil. Really? More people want to see another Mark Whalberg mess than something truly original and cool? Sigh.

Rotten Tomatoes has Haywire at 82%. See it, people!

-Jason "I really want this movie to do well so we get a sequel" Evans
    I agree Jason, it baffles me that movies like this and other great flicks (i.e. Dragon Tattoo) don't do so much better (mainly in US). The comic book movies along with stupid romantic comedies seem to dominate, says a lot about our society.

thanks Jason

I was intrigued by this movie from the previews. Now, based on your review, will definitely see it.

I've been following Carano for years, and will definitely see it.

Since Southpoint now has a sweet iMax screen, we spent our money on Underworld. Awesome for what it is - vampires vs. werewolves.

Haywire was definitely in the running, but iMax always wins. Hope to see it this week, though I just received a glowing recommendation for Contraband - even though the audience tomatometer score for these are low (Haywire was at 50%).

Jason's review was the push I needed to venture to the theater and grumble about how expensive even matinee ticket prices have become.

Right, the movie. Unmistakably Steven Soderbergh. Hard to explain why, exactly. The style reminded me mostly of Out of Sight and partially Ocean's Twelve. The music, the editing cuts, the lighting, the tone... all instantly familiar. I got into it immediately. I guess there's a Bourne element here, and it certainly feels like a franchise is being kickstarted, albeit a much lighter one.

I found Gina Carano's character to be plausible, even when the action gets a bit silly toward the end. Questioning her acting ability is pointless when you have a director who encourages naturalism to the point that actors and non-actors are indistinguishable. She does fine. I will say that she excels at movie fighting, which is not the same as professional fighting, and in the Dublin rooftop scenes I decided I wouldn't mind following her around for another hour.

Watching the fight scenes -- there are two in particular that come to mind -- I decided that there are two kinds of ways to depict a man fighting a woman.

1. Unrealistic: this is sort of Joss Whedon's stock in trade. Choose an 85-pound actress like Sarah Michelle Gellar or Summer Glau, who has no business beating up men 3 times her size. It's cartoonish. You suspend your disbelief and feel somewhat entertained.

2. Realistic: in this regard, Haywire reminded me a little bit of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The man and woman who were fighting appeared more evenly matched. (There was a time when Angelina Jolie didn't have emaciated old-lady hands and arms.) On one level I can appreciate this as a better form of movie action, but at the same time it reminds me of domestic violence. I felt both impressed and uncomfortable.

The plot is a bit nonsensical -- when the Big Bad is revealed, what was his motivation, exactly? Also, Ewan McGregor is miscast, with terrible hair. But it was a brisk and interesting film overall. Soderbergh Lite is still Soderbergh, which makes it better than most movies out there. (If I had to pick a favorite director, it would probably be him, and I'll be a little sad when he retires in the next year or so.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jason's review was the push I needed to venture to the theater and grumble about how expensive even matinee ticket prices have become.

Right, the movie. Unmistakably Steven Soderbergh. Hard to explain why, exactly. The style reminded me mostly of Out of Sight and partially Ocean's Twelve. The music, the editing cuts, the lighting, the tone... all instantly familiar. I got into it immediately. I guess there's a Bourne element here, and it certainly feels like a franchise is being kickstarted, albeit a much lighter one.

I found Gina Carano's character to be plausible, even when the action gets a bit silly toward the end. Questioning her acting ability is pointless when you have a director who encourages naturalism to the point that actors and non-actors are indistinguishable. She does fine. I will say that she excels at movie fighting, which is not the same as professional fighting, and in the Dublin rooftop scenes I decided I wouldn't mind following her around for another hour.

Watching the fight scenes -- there are two in particular that come to mind -- I decided that there are two kinds of ways to depict a man fighting a woman.

1. Unrealistic: this is sort of Joss Whedon's stock in trade. Choose an 85-pound actress like Sarah Michelle Gellar or Summer Glau, who has no business beating up men 3 times her size. It's cartoonish. You suspend your disbelief and feel somewhat entertained.

2. Realistic: in this regard, Haywire reminded me a little bit of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The man and woman who were fighting appeared more evenly matched. (There was a time when Angelina Jolie didn't have emaciated old-lady hands and arms.) On one level I can appreciate this as a better form of movie action, but at the same time it reminds me of domestic violence. I felt both impressed and uncomfortable.

The plot is a bit nonsensical -- when the Big Bad is revealed, what was his motivation, exactly? Also, Ewan McGregor is miscast, with terrible hair. But it was a brisk and interesting film overall. Soderbergh Lite is still Soderbergh, which makes it better than most movies out there. (If I had to pick a favorite director, it would probably be him, and I'll be a little sad when he retires in the next year or so.)
    I found the movie to be quite slow and convoluted. The fight scenes were unbelievable. Overall, save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Analogy View Post
    I agree Jason, it baffles me that movies like this and other great flicks (i.e. Dragon Tattoo) don't do so much better (mainly in US). The comic book movies along with stupid romantic comedies seem to dominate, says a lot about our society.
    And why is a spy thriller or a mystery higher art than a comic book or a romantic comedy? We're not talking The Wire here. These movies are all entertainment first with art a distant second. Different people have different taste in fluff - does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    And why is a spy thriller or a mystery higher art than a comic book or a romantic comedy? We're not talking The Wire here. These movies are all entertainment first with art a distant second. Different people have different taste in fluff - does it matter?
    Yeah, it matters to me. I prefer the context of well thought out plots with differing angles, not the predictable cliche's that are being pumped out in droves. That doesn't mean I don't like some of those sophmoric movies because I do, I just don't like them often, I watch them when I don't want to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Analogy View Post
    Yeah, it matters to me. I prefer the context of well thought out plots with differing angles, not the predictable cliche's that are being pumped out in droves. That doesn't mean I don't like some of those sophmoric movies because I do, I just don't like them often, I watch them when I don't want to think.
    For the record, here are ten comic book movies that metacritic ranks as superior to both Haywire and the American version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:

- The Dark Knight
    - American Splendour
    - Ghost World
    - Iron Man
    - Spider Man
    - Spider Man 2
    - A History of Violence
    - Persepolis
    - Akira
    - Road to Perdition

Some of them have something serious to say, others are pure entertainment. None of them are sophomoric. You prefer Haywire and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because you prefer their writing? Fine, but do not mistake your personal taste in genre for anything other than what it is.
    Last edited by darthur; 01-28-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    For the record, here are ten comic book movies that metacritic ranks as superior to both Haywire and the American version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:

- The Dark Knight
    - American Splendour
    - Ghost World
    - Iron Man
    - Spider Man
    - Spider Man 2
    - A History of Violence
    - Persepolis
    - Akira
    - Road to Perdition

Some of them have something serious to say, others are pure entertainment. None of them are sophomoric. You prefer Haywire and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because you prefer their writing? Fine, but do not mistake your personal taste in genre for anything other than what it is.

I tell you what is sophomoric is this silly debate with you. I am entitled to my opinions so back off. You base your facts on what meticritics ranks? wow, that's weak and has no real merit. Also, I'm not making a mistake by proclaiming my opinion, last I checked this was a forum and one can express their opinions freely without being attacked. Meticritic says those movies you love are 'superior'? compared to what? the other comic movies????

Put it to rest. I have no interest in debating you, period.

Saw it last night

Well, even though the RT community score continues to go down (43 as of this post), Jason's review pushed us over the edge. I loved it from the start.

In fact, it was so enjoyable as a spy action / personal thriller, that I started combing through the RT responses to see why it was scoring so poorly. After all, the Katherine Heigl bounty hunter movie was garnering a 60-something.

My conclusion - something we pretty much know already - Americans are stupid. Most of the negative responses were around the lack of plot - but given what the plot actually was, that just means they never figured it out. Now, there's a small part of me that wishes (for the movie's sake) that Soderbergh had figured out a way to get all aspects of the final resolution explained for the "common man (or woman)."

There were others that interpreted the director's use (and non-use) of music throughout the movie as "bugs" in the movie. Still others whined at the small parts played by Douglas, Banderos, etc.

In the end, I believe that people were just too uncomfortable with the intense realistic hand-to-hand combat that smacked of domestic violence.

But to quote the movie: "Don't think of her as a woman. That would be a mistake."

I saw Haywire today with my wife and Duke grad daughter. My daughter and I enjoyed it as entertainment while my wife saw it as a typical revenge hunt for the unknown perpetrator. She did like Gina Carano and thinks she has a future with similar roles. I gotta say she does a good job of playing a tough cookie. Our vote is 3 of 5 stars. Decent matinee entertainment and decent matinee price.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I saw Haywire today with my wife and Duke grad daughter. My daughter and I enjoyed it as entertainment while my wife saw it as a typical revenge hunt for the unknown perpetrator. She did like Gina Carano and thinks she has a future with similar roles. I gotta say she does a good job of playing a tough cookie. Our vote is 3 of 5 stars. Decent matinee entertainment and decent matinee price.
    Just saw it tonight based on this thread's recommendation. I have a similar review. As we always do after movies, my buddy and I gave our thumb-up/down and stars ratings over dinner afterwards. My friend gave it a "thumb-sideways" and 2 stars. I gave it a "thumbs up" and three stars. He thought it lagged in a couple of spots, such as the "girl being followed" sequence through Dublin. I liked the mystery/who-done-it aspects that made you think throughout. Some of the fight scenes were awesomely choreographed, such as her fight scene versus her "husband" in their hotel room. I think Gina Carano is a terrific action player, but maybe not a fully dynamic actress, a la Merryl Streep. I could see her carving out an action-star recurring role/niche, and would pay to see her again in that capacity.

Overall, I felt that there were just enough twists and turns to keep you thinking, but not so much so that you rolled your eyes and said "no way," and sufficient action to entertain you. I thought they could have developed a couple of the characters a little more, and at just 105 minutes the movie had room (if they'd added another 10-15 minutes) to do some of that. But overall I found it very entertaining. Thanks Jason (and other posters).