Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They aren't anymore. In fact GT now has more votes than they do. (And GT isn't ranked either)
    Thanks for that info, Cameron! I did not have the chance to look at the latest polls - a little thing called work got in the way. I hate when that happens.

And -bdbd, yes he did play his bench and IIRC, it was somewhere around the 8 minute mark so it wasn't like the Duke butt-whooping! I must say, I do like Geno, and in his defense (after watching the game last night), his bench is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Well, um, don't recall Duke ever losing to them by 50+, but I could be mistaken... Sure hope that we at least are competitive this year! (I do think it will be a decent game.)
    by similar margins, i meant to the 32 point average margin which UNC has lost by. (35,36,33,26), but yes none over 50.

I think this will be <30 points, and duke could even give uconn a game, but P will have to have a good game plan and the players will have to execute. the talent is there, for sure

Coach Geno actually put in some bench players?? Wow. Really?! I didn't think he ever did that! Boy, now I know it was outta hand! (But at least you're supporting Uh No's "defense" of why he had his starters still in vs Duke last year with 2 minutes to go and up by 35...)
    given last year, uconn had about 6 serviceable players, so unless geno was about to suit up the lucky fans in section 7 row M (and risk an NCAA violation), he had pretty much no one else to play
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does the women's team call their scrubs "Blue Steel" too, or do they have a less embarrasing name?
    No, they have a more embarrassing name... TAR HEELS.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Just thought that should be posted twice. Y'know -- in case it didn't sink in the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Though, of course, Ole Roy didn't stick like he had tar on his heels. He left the battle field.

What's In a Name? Why We're All Called Tar Heels
    By William S. Powell

But when, beyond doubt, did the term Tar Heel begin to be applied to North Carolinians? Clearly during the Civil War. In the third volume of Walter Clark's Histories of the Several Regiments from North Carolina in the Great War, 1861 to 1865, published in 1901, James M. Ray of Asheville records two incidents in 1863 that suggest the nickname's original application. In a fierce battle in Virginia, where their supporting column was driven from the field, North Carolina troops stood alone and fought successfully. The victorious troops were asked in a condescending tone by some Virginians who had retreated, "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" The response came quickly: "No, not a bit; old Jeff's bought it all up." "Is that so? What is he going to do with it?" the Virginians asked. "He's going to put it on you'ns heels to make you stick better in the next fight."