Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Scratch Dwight Howard -- Back Surgery

Howard will undergo surgery to repair a herniated disk and be lost for the rest of the season plus the summer Olympics.

sagegrouse

This strengthens the position of Tyson Chandler, who may be NBA DPOY this season. I think Howard's absence and Lamarcus Aldridge's hip surgery also means we need to add another big to the roster.

Here's the guys from the 20-man roster who will not be around this summer in all likelihood-

Dwight Howard
    Lamarcus Aldrudge
    Chauncy Billups
    Lamar Odom

Here's the # of missed games this season for some other guys on the roster -

Dwyane Wade 13
    Derrick Rose 26
    Kobe 7
    Eric Gordon 55

The big men will probably be Chandler, Bosh, Love and Griffin with Carmelo and Durant playing the 4 as necessary. They will probably need to add another big man or two for tryout and practice purposes though, so they do not get caught flat-footed in the event of another injury. Ideally the big man would be able to protect the rim and be versatile enough to guard away from the basket too, since international bigs tend to be skilled.

Greg Monroe (averaging 15.6 and 9.5) is the best example of a versatile big. Joakim Noah seems to replicate a lot of what Chandler does already. Andrew Bynum is turning into a stud at 18.9 and 12.1, but he's immature to the 3rd degree. JaVale McGee had a good tryout two summers ago, but he's the definition of knucklehead. Roy Hibbert might be too soft.

My guess is one or two additional bigs come to tryouts, but do not make the team. If Coach K and Colangelo are truly worried about the big man situation with Howard and Aldridge gone, bringing in a veteran like Garnett or Duncan could also be a solid move.

Non, Non, Pas Joakim

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Joakim Noah seems to replicate a lot of what Chandler does already. .

C'est vrai, malheureusement, que Joakim Noah, le fils de Yannick Noah, soit francais.

sage
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 04-20-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: subjunctive, who knows?

Bummer...

Howard may seem like an awful human being, but he is a phenomenal center and defender (at least the best that the US has). This seems that Chandler will definitely be on the team. I'd like to see Bynum as well, who is extremely talented and only half a notch below Howard. I really don't like the idea of Griffin on the team as he doesn't bring much to the table except for the opportunity for another Vinsanity "tea bag" incident.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    C'est vrai, malheureusement, que Joakim Noah, le fils de Yannick Noah, soit francais.

sage
    According to Wikipedia, he was born in New York City, so no problem. (I will not stoop to your use of a language that wins no wars when we are discussing the Olympics)

K is not going to keep Lamar Odom after what he just pulled this season. I also think that Bynum should probably get a shot here along with Chandler. No body has a front line that can bang with Bynum if you have a 7 minute stretch in every game when he gets the ball. Other than that I want this squad run and gun, but a short stretch of the game where you let the big boy bang can only be a good thing.

sage
    Mais il n'est pas un citoyen Americain aussi? A-t-il deja joue pour la france?

sage
    Bien dit, sagegrouse!

Non, Non! (Reprise)

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, he was born in New York City, so no problem. (I will not stoop to your use of a language that wins no wars when we are discussing the Olympics)
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Mais il n'est pas un citoyen Americain aussi? A-t-il deja joue pour la france?
    Ici sont les jouers pour l'equipe national de France (2011):

Code:
    #	Name	Ht.	Club
    4	Noah, Joakim	2.11 m (6 ft 11 in)	Chicago Bulls
    5	Batum, Nicolas	2.03 m (6 ft 8 in)	Portland Trail Blazers
    6	Seraphin, Kevin	2.06 m (6 ft 9 in)	Washington Wizards
    7	Albicy, Andrew	1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)	Paris-Levallois Basket
    8	Lombahe-Kahudi, Charles	1.99 m (6 ft 6 in)	Le Mans Sarthe Basket
    9	Parker, Tony	1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)	San Antonio Spurs
    10	Traore, Ali	2.05 m (6 ft 9 in)	BC Lokomotiv–Kuban Krasnodar
    11	Piétrus, Florent	2.02 m (6 ft 8 in)	Valencia BC
    12	De Colo, Nando	1.96 m (6 ft 5 in)	Valencia BC
    13	Diaw, Boris (C)	2.03 m (6 ft 8 in)	San Antonio Spurs
    14	Tchicamboud, Steed	1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)	ÉS Chalon-sur-Saône
    15	Gelabale, Mickaël	2.00 m (6 ft 7 in)	ASVEL Basket
    Don't think we will see Messrs. Noah, Batum, Seraphin, Parker or Diaw in the stars and stripes.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    K is not going to keep Lamar Odom after what he just pulled this season. I also think that Bynum should probably get a shot here along with Chandler. No body has a front line that can bang with Bynum if you have a 7 minute stretch in every game when he gets the ball. Other than that I want this squad run and gun, but a short stretch of the game where you let the big boy bang can only be a good thing.
    Yeah, but Bynum is more of a headcase than Odom.
    Remember how he exited the playoffs last season?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLxGm3El1cI

Remember him sulking this season and undermining his coach? We cannot have someone with little character representing the United States.

sage
    Quel dommage.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Quel dommage.
    quel fromage!

Allez a l'enfer, Carolina!

It's OK. All you have to do is speak in reverse.

sage
    Wow, is that subjunctive? Zut alors!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Bynum unlikely

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...asketball-team

Bynum's not interested in the stars and stripes with his knee problems. The US front court is looking less formidable this week.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...asketball-team

Bynum's not interested in the stars and stripes with his knee problems. The US front court is looking less formidable this week.
    K's going to miss out on all the top big men and have convince a 2004 veteran like Tim Duncan to play again.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    K's going to miss out on all the top big men and have convince a 2004 veteran like Tim Duncan to play again.
    I feel like Duncan or Garnett (both good choices) are gonna say no because of age, which leaves us with: Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe, and... Anthony Davis as the best American big men? Is there really any other somewhat-competent center in the League? (If JaVale McGee somehow makes the team, I will actually start crying) I dunno, but I like the chances of Anthony Davis at least getting a call from Coach K and Team USA. I'm sure he's watching a ton of NBA tape now to figure out who to pick to take the big man/center role that Dwight's surgery has opened up. With a potential game against Spain, we need a solid big man, and we just don't quite have one.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    I feel like Duncan or Garnett (both good choices) are gonna say no because of age, which leaves us with: Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe, and... Anthony Davis as the best American big men? Is there really any other somewhat-competent center in the League? (If JaVale McGee somehow makes the team, I will actually start crying) I dunno, but I like the chances of Anthony Davis at least getting a call from Coach K and Team USA. I'm sure he's watching a ton of NBA tape now to figure out who to pick to take the big man/center role that Dwight's surgery has opened up. With a potential game against Spain, we need a solid big man, and we just don't quite have one.
    I was joking, but yeah, Aldridge's surgery doesn't help either.

I'd guess we're looking at Love, Chandler and Bosh as locks, with Griffin as a possibility. Don't really need to worry about the second big spot with Durant and LBJ on the roster...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    quel fromage!
    I think there is a setting messed up on my browser...