• LeBron James
    • Kevin Love
    • Lamar Odom
    • Chris Paul
    • Derrick Rose
    • Dwyane Wade
    • Russell Westbrook
    • Deron Williams
    We have no Rose, Wade, Howard, Aldridge, Billups or Gordon.

We have added Davis, Harden and Gay. Anyone else?

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...OLYroster.html

Honestly, with all of these injuries, I would not be surprised to see lineups that feature three small forwards, a point guard, and a center/PF of some kind. A Bosh, Melo, James, Durant, Paul/Williams/Westbrook lineup might be effective if Durant can handle defense on the 2 spot. It's going to be interesting to see how Coach K and the rest of the team USA staff construct this roster. At any rate, i am personally really looking forward to seeing James and Durant on the court together. I actually think they are a super star match made in heaven as long as James is willing to log minutes guarding opposing 4's and/or Durant is willing to guard opposing 2's. James' passing ability combined with Durant's scoring ability and spot-up shooting ability has the potential to be a better fit than the James-Wade combo in Miami. Add in the ludicrous size and strength those two have (an almost 6-11 shooting guard/small forward along with the most powerful NBA player for his size, ever), and I think they could dominate at both ends. Coach K could even consider pulling a Grant Hill and putting James at the point guard spot on offense and opening the door for some other crazy lineup combos.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    We have no Rose, Wade, Howard, Aldridge, Billups or Gordon.

We have added Davis, Harden and Gay. Anyone else?

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...OLYroster.html
    Bosh out as well. This is more of a blow as we are short on big men. I'm confident Chandler and Love can hold it down, but having Bosh would have been nice.

Down to 16 overall:

Carmelo Anthony
    Kobe Bryant
    Tyson Chandler
    Anthony Davis
    Kevin Durant
    Rudy Gay
    Eric Gordon
    Blake Griffin
    James Harden
    Andre Iguodala
    LeBron James
    Kevin Love
    Lamar Odom
    Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Deron Williams

My prediction, based on the groupings I've always thought about (PGs, Wings, Centers/Posts)

PGs: Paul, Westbrook, D-Will
    Wings: Bron, Kobe, Durant, Melo, Iguodala, Harden (I think you've got to take Gordon or Harden to have a 3pt shooter on the team..Harden is a better shooter so I picked him, but I could see going with Gordon after he had a great 2010 FIBAs. also have iggy over gay for his defense.)
    Posts: Chandler, Love, Odom (tough to leave Griffin out, but he's not a good shooter or defender, and I don't think his game is a great fit for the int'l game...)
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 06-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Bosh out as well. This is more of a blow as we are short on big men. I'm confident Chandler and Love can hold it down, but having Bosh would have been nice.
    And Griffin. In international ball, the ball is fair game once it hits the rim, isn't it? With his incredible "bounce" Blake could be a monster on the boards if he can used to taking balls off of or stuffing them back through the rim.

Down to 16 overall:

Carmelo Anthony
    Kobe Bryant
    Tyson Chandler
    Anthony Davis
    Kevin Durant
    Rudy Gay
    Eric Gordon
    Blake Griffin
    James Harden
    Andre Iguodala
    LeBron James
    Kevin Love
    Lamar Odom
    Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Deron Williams

My prediction, based on the groupings I've always thought about (PGs, Wings, Centers/Posts)

PGs: Paul, Westbrook, D-Will
    Wings: Bron, Kobe, Durant, Melo, Iguodala, Harden (I think you've got to take Gordon or Harden to have a 3pt shooter on the team..Harden is a better shooter so I picked him, but I could see going with Gordon after he had a great 2010 FIBAs. also have iggy over gay for his defense.)
    Posts: Chandler, Love, Odom (tough to leave Griffin out, but he's not a good shooter or defender, and I don't think his game is a great fit for the int'l game...)

Odom over Griffin? I don't see it. I think FIBA would challenge that decision just because of potential TV ratings And yes I agree with the poster above me, with balls being fair game on the rim, Griffin would devour those.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Odom over Griffin? I don't see it. I think FIBA would challenge that decision just because of potential TV ratings And yes I agree with the poster above me, with balls being fair game on the rim, Griffin would devour those.
    As much of an athlete as Griffin, the US has been trotting out players like Dwight Howard and LeBron James and we never really seem to take advantage of the taking the ball of the rim. I always hope to see it more often but it doesn't really seem to be used that much.

I think the loss of Bosh is actually pretty big. Even after losing most of the other big men, Bosh was a big man who could cover the oft used pick and roll or even pick and pop. Additionally, he was a solid rebounder with a shot that could get him to 18'. I think Griffin won't be able to replicate his defense of active 4's nor obviously his ability to draw these defenders away from the rim.

As far as Odom is concerned, it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. He is rather fresh but hasn't played competitive ball in how long? Is he over all of his troubles and can the US risk one of their big spots on a guy who could be nonexistent?

Anyone think it is impossible for Davis to make the team as a post player? I mean, if we want a defensive-minded shot blocker who can rebound, he might actually fit the bill better than Griffin and certainly better than Odom.

Also, I think you will never see American players embrace the "the ball is on the rim, go grab it!" play because they have played for years and years without that rule and their instincts won't let them suddenly change the way they play so quickly.

-Jason "FWIW, I think Griffin is the more likely pick, but I think Davis may have a shot at it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone think it is impossible for Davis to make the team as a post player? I mean, if we want a defensive-minded shot blocker who can rebound, he might actually fit the bill better than Griffin and certainly better than Odom.

Also, I think you will never see American players embrace the "the ball is on the rim, go grab it!" play because they have played for years and years without that rule and their instincts won't let them suddenly change the way they play so quickly.

-Jason "FWIW, I think Griffin is the more likely pick, but I think Davis may have a shot at it" Evans
    I humbly offer the services of Andre Drummond. His only demonstrated skills are rebounding and shot-blocking - and Lord knows he could use a bit of the coaching that turned Miles into a 1st rounder.

Since it appears that he has little or no basketball instincts, and is supposedly a bright coachable kid, he should be easily programmed to go for balls on the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I humbly offer the services of Andre Drummond. His only demonstrated skills are rebounding and shot-blocking - and Lord knows he could use a bit of the coaching that turned Miles into a 1st rounder.

Since it appears that he has little or no basketball instincts, and is supposedly a bright coachable kid, he should be easily programmed to go for balls on the rim.
    K would kick Drummond's butt all around the gym, that's for sure. If anyone can turn that kid into a player... but it ain't gonna happen.

Anthony Davis is already part of the National Team roster that will go to the trials/try-out camp so he has a legit shot at making the team. I sorta wonder if they consider moving Demarcus Cousins from the Select Team to the National Team roster to give him a shot at making the Olympic team too.

-Jason "Kyrie is far and away the best player on the Select Team" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With the lack of big men available it seems logical to focus on a roster full of speed. We'll hopefully have Love and Chandler to man the center position which could give us LeBron at the 4 and Carmelo and KD the "stretch" 4 positions. We're still in great shape at guard and on the perimeter in general. Losing Bosh is a hit because he compliments the international game so well as a big man. I'm in the camp of not thinking Griffin is a good fit at all for the international game. His defense is suspect, especially on the weak side and he's not an offensive option outside of 8ft. I'd actually take Anthony Davis as an option over him as well. Not that Davis is a great offensive option from outside the painted area either at this point, but defensively on the help or weak side he could be a menace. I don't think Drummond would give us anything at this point either. Davis, in my opinion, is the best option if someone is to be added.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    ... I don't think Drummond would give us anything at this point either. ...
    My offer of Drummond was more of a lament than a serious suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    K would kick Drummond's butt all around the gym, that's for sure. If anyone can turn that kid into a player... but it ain't gonna happen.

Anthony Davis is already part of the National Team roster that will go to the trials/try-out camp so he has a legit shot at making the team. I sorta wonder if they consider moving Demarcus Cousins from the Select Team to the National Team roster to give him a shot at making the Olympic team too.

-Jason "Kyrie is far and away the best player on the Select Team" Evans
    I forgot that they got those extensions for naming the 12 man roster and will get to do it after the training camp/try-outs (I was thinking they had to submit it prior to camp b/c they were originally supposed to submit the roster before the playoffs even finished...)

I think Davis does have a legit shot, but I don't think he'll make it ahead of the other guys who have all been involved for several years now and much more ready for the man's game that is int'l ball. Davis is still a skinny 19/20 year old, let's not forget.

Odom is a bit of a wild card IMO: K loved him in 2010, started him at Center the whole tournament ahead of Chandler, really liked his attitude, etc, so I'd think he's in the mix...though given what happened this year during the seasons who knows if he'll even really show up. Have to wait and see...I know it seems weird to not have Griffin on here, I guess they'll find a spot for him and one of Odom, Chandler and Love won't make it. My guess is its either Odom of Chandler; I really want Love on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    ...with balls being fair game on the rim, Griffin would devour those.
    Good argument for adding Miles Plumlee.

Odom is a bit of a wild card IMO: K loved him in 2010, started him at Center the whole tournament ahead of Chandler, really liked his attitude, etc, so I'd think he's in the mix...though given what happened this year during the seasons who knows if he'll even really show up. Have to wait and see...I know it seems weird to not have Griffin on here, I guess they'll find a spot for him and one of Odom, Chandler and Love won't make it. My guess is its either Odom of Chandler; I really want Love on this team.
    Love and Chandler are locks. The word is that Davis, Odom and Griffin were going to have a head-to-head-to-head workout in front of the staff as they tried to determine who would make it. With Davis now out, I wonder, as Jason says, if Boogie gets a shot at being part of that 3-man tryout, or if it's down to Odom and Griffin. It's a really tough decision - Odom would be a no-brainer save for the small matter of the fact that he essentially suffered a debilitating depression in the past 12 months. Based on his performance at the combine, don't you think Miles deserves a shot at that spot?

I saw a photo of the two Gasols, Ibaka, Navarro and Calederon in their national team unis...heck of a tournament coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Love and Chandler are locks. The word is that Davis, Odom and Griffin were going to have a head-to-head-to-head workout in front of the staff as they tried to determine who would make it. With Davis now out, I wonder, as Jason says, if Boogie gets a shot at being part of that 3-man tryout, or if it's down to Odom and Griffin. It's a really tough decision - Odom would be a no-brainer save for the small matter of the fact that he essentially suffered a debilitating depression in the past 12 months. Based on his performance at the combine, don't you think Miles deserves a shot at that spot?

I saw a photo of the two Gasols, Ibaka, Navarro and Calederon in their national team unis...heck of a tournament coming up.
    I didn't follow Odom at all since the 2010 world championships. If it really is a depression, is it possible that a stint with USA basketball with Coach K and staff and getting "away" from whatever causes him grief can somehow be helpful to him and USA basketball? Or is it basketball in general... then, whatever, I guess...

Odom lost his 7 month old son in 2006... His 24 year old cousin was murdered last year... Odom was also a passenger in a fatal car/motorcycle/pedestrian accident last year. It's a lot more than just basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

I would think its down to Odom and Griffin. I'd say its too late in the process to bring new guys in. I'd say your locks are Kobe, Paul, Durant, Melo, Chandler, Love, and LeBron. He'll probably take one of the Iggy/Gay pair and Iggy would appear to be the favorite after being a big contributor in the past. He'll take at least one more point and I'd assume Deron would be #2 in line. That leaves 3 spots for Odom, Griffin, Westbrook, Harden, and Gordon. At least one of the Harden/Gordon pair will probably be taken b/c of shooting and one of the bigs will be taken but then it gets interesting. Westbrook isn't a great shooter who gets himself into trouble with his shot selection and the US will have plenty of guys like LeBron who can handle point duties if need be. And while I'm sure they can gauge a lot on Odom this week, it'll still be tough to roll the dice on our 3rd big who hasn't played real basketball in just about a year. But I'm sure K would prefer Odom b/c he can play C which Griffin probably can't and is a much more versatile player on both sides of the ball. While Griffin has the hops, his lack of shooting might hurt team USA. So I'd probably say the last spot comes down to a 4th true big or a 3rd true PG with the 2nd shooter being a dark horse.

Odom is now out, saying he wants to focus on the upcoming NBA season.

Anthony Davis may be out too after injuring his ankle.

At this rate we might not need to hold any tryouts at all, we'll just take whoever's left

20. Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Called it for Love and Chandler! http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...221#post541221

I still think it would be crazy to take Odom, and anyway he's put himself out of consideration.

With all the injuries, think the main line-up would be Chris Paul as the distributor, Kobe Bryant or Deron Williams as the perimeter shooter (whoever is shooting better, though I think Kobe will start and close games but may not play the most SG minutes), Kevin Durant at the 3, LeBron James at the 4. Kevin Love will anchor the 5 most of the time. Think about how lethal the combination of Love and LeBron would be with LeBron isolating inside and kicking it out to any of the four if doubled.