Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    I haven't heard his reasoning either, but if it's driven by Stern not wanting his best players to risk injury playing somewhere other than the NBA, it's kind of ridiculous. I can understand where he's coming from, and if he can avoid his best players risking injury, while using the Olympics to showcase some of the league's up and coming stars, then it would be a savvy move, but I want to see the best in the world representing their countries in the Olympics. With soccer, there's the World Cup as the premier international tournament, so the Olympics only using primarily under 23 players can be excused. With basketball, the Olympics are the premier tournament, and as such countries should be able to use any players they'd like. However, if there is concern about international basketball placing too big of a demand on the players' time, then perhaps the world championships could go to some sort of age limit and showcase the games up and coming players.
    I've heard folks on TV say often that in Europe, they view the world basketball championships as the bigger tournament and the Olympics of secondary importance, much like soccer. I'm not sure if that is true or just something they say, but it may be that only the US cares most about the Olympic basketball title, in which case maybe Stern is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I've heard folks on TV say often that in Europe, they view the world basketball championships as the bigger tournament and the Olympics of secondary importance, much like soccer. I'm not sure if that is true or just something they say, but it may be that only the US cares most about the Olympic basketball title, in which case maybe Stern is on to something.
    I think this is accurate, as I've heard the same thing many times from multiple sources. The Olympics are definitely important and something that the rest of the world wants to win, but with the exception of maybe China and the United States, I think most consider the World Championships to be the World Cup of basketball.

Per ESPN, Colangelo and USA basketball have until July 8 to submit a 12 man roster. Additionally, the James Harden was also added to the 18 man group. The rest are Kobe, LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, Love, Chandler, Paul, Williams, Griffin, Iguodala, Durant, Gay, Westbrook, Odom and Eric Gordon.

I didn't realize it was a USOC deadline and not a FIBA one, so it isn't surprising that the extension was granted. Barring injury, I'd be surprised to see Harden as part of the final 12, but wouldn't mind seeing Davis as part of the London team. Even if Davis is used like Boozer in 2008, it couldn't hurt to have a 12th man at a potential position of need.

Per ESPN, Colangelo and USA basketball have until July 8 to submit a 12 man roster. Additionally, the James Harden was also added to the 18 man group. The rest are Kobe, LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, Love, Chandler, Paul, Williams, Griffin, Iguodala, Durant, Gay, Westbrook, Odom and Eric Gordon.

I didn't realize it was a USOC deadline and not a FIBA one, so it isn't surprising that the extension was granted. Barring injury, I'd be surprised to see Harden as part of the final 12, but wouldn't mind seeing Davis as part of the London team. Even if Davis is used like Boozer in 2008, it couldn't hurt to have a 12th man at a potential position of need.
    Saw it reported that Wade is considering staying home - wants time to heal.

Have to wonder if Bosh will now be out with the abdominal strain. I would think he would be healed by August but any injury at this point has the potential to have the player lean towards sitting out. If so, the front court just gets thinner and thinner. Love and Chandler are still very nice options but there doesn't seem to be much else available.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Have to wonder if Bosh will now be out with the abdominal strain. I would think he would be healed by August but any injury at this point has the potential to have the player lean towards sitting out. If so, the front court just gets thinner and thinner. Love and Chandler are still very nice options but there doesn't seem to be much else available.
    The injuries resulting from the insane condensed schedule have really tested the new National Team program infrastructure. Thanks to Colangelo and K changing the culture, the fact that we are forced to take a "next man up" philosophy is not a death sentence because guys are lining up to play - aside from the importance that the individual feels in representing their country, playing on the National Team typically results in the player getting significantly better (largely due to increased confidence), and an improvement in their brand - both of which eventually lead to more money.

As far as injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Paul begged off, too, especially now that he is going another playoff round. Maybe that opens the door a crack for Kyrie!

For the bigs - Greg Monroe and Roy Hibbert...come on down!

Select Team

DeMarcus Cousins -- Kings
    Jeremy Lin -- Knicks
    Klay Thompson -- Warriors
    Kyrie Irving -- Cavaliers
    John Wall -- Wizards
    DeMar DeRozan -- Toronto
    Paul George -- Pacers
    Gordon Hayward -- Jazz
    Kawhi Leonard -- Spurs
    DeJuan Blair -- Spurs
    Ryan Anderson -- Magic
    Taj Gibson -- Bulls
    Derrick Favors -- Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    For the bigs - Greg Monroe and Roy Hibbert...come on down!
    So Anthony Davis and James Harden have been added to the 18-man roster. They replaced Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose. But I do not think we are done dropping players yet - Eric Gordon and Lamar Odom are highly unlikely to make it to Vegas. It remains to be seen if they will be replaced as well. Also, Dwyane Wade, Kobe and Chris Bosh bear watching.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Select Team

Jeremy Lin -- Knicks
    John Wall -- Wizards
    DeMar DeRozan -- Toronto
    Paul George -- Pacers
    Gordon Hayward -- Jazz
    Kawhi Leonard -- Spurs
    DeJuan Blair -- Spurs
    Ryan Anderson -- Magic
    Taj Gibson -- Bulls
    Derrick Favors -- Jazz
    This is an interesting list, especially for the lack of centers. Klay Thompson is, to me, a surprise pick, but I guess they want shooters out there to spread the D. The other factor is, maybe other guys said they weren't interested for various reasons...which is why I am surprised to see Jeremy Lin over some other point guards. But, as a Knicks fan, I'll be happy to see him get the experience.

Select Team

Jeremy Lin -- Knicks
    John Wall -- Wizards
    DeMar DeRozan -- Toronto
    Paul George -- Pacers
    Gordon Hayward -- Jazz
    Kawhi Leonard -- Spurs
    DeJuan Blair -- Spurs
    Ryan Anderson -- Magic
    Taj Gibson -- Bulls
    Derrick Favors -- Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This is an interesting list, especially for the lack of centers. Klay Thompson is, to me, a surprise pick, but I guess they want shooters out there to spread the D. The other factor is, maybe other guys said they weren't interested for various reasons...which is why I am surprised to see Jeremy Lin over some other point guards. But, as a Knicks fan, I'll be happy to see him get the experience.
    There are 3 Centers on that list, I'm surprise Greg Monroe isnt one of them.
    Klay is one of the best shooters on that list along with Anderson.

Who ever put this squad together did a very good job of mixing players with different talents and strengths. They will give the National team a challenge.

My starting 5:
    PG: Irving
    SG: Thompson
    SF: Leonard
    PF: Anderson
    C: Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    There are 3 Centers on that list
    I don't know, man...I guess Blair and Favors are centers although both feel more like 4s to me. I guess I am looking down the road at the 2014 World Championships and think we'll need more size.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    There are 3 Centers on that list, I'm surprise Greg Monroe isnt one of them.
    I'm sure I sounds like a broken record, but I expect Monroe to be on the 18-man roster to try out for the Olympic team. Otherwise he's almost got to be on the Select Team list, right?

Monroe should be on the list. He made the Pistons...watchable. That has got to count for something, right?

How about Javale? I know that a lot of people are knocking on his low basketball IQ. But he's shown a lot of improvements under George Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyeop View Post
    Monroe should be on the list. He made the Pistons...watchable. That has got to count for something, right?

How about Javale? I know that a lot of people are knocking on his low basketball IQ. But he's shown a lot of improvements under George Karl.
    The problem with JaVale is that he is a knucklehead. I would love to see him play for Coach K and develop (although, as a Wizards fan, I'd be super bitter) but I'm not sure he's the right guy for this stage. Greg Monroe is a defensive liability, at least a little... but he should be given a chance. Hibbert is really the one I'd want, but with that summer playing for Jamaica, he can't play for Team USA, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    The problem with JaVale is that he is a knucklehead. I would love to see him play for Coach K and develop (although, as a Wizards fan, I'd be super bitter) but I'm not sure he's the right guy for this stage. Greg Monroe is a defensive liability, at least a little... but he should be given a chance. Hibbert is really the one I'd want, but with that summer playing for Jamaica, he can't play for Team USA, unfortunately.
    Woah. Is he related to Toots Hibbert?! Awesome...

The schedule of games has been announced:
    http://www.fiba.com/downloads/event/...llSchedule.pdf

I will list the USA preliminary round games with the times listed there, which I assume are local and would be 5 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight and 8 hours ahead of us here in the Pacific Time Zone.

Sunday, 7/29, 14:30 vs France
    Tuesday, 7/31, 22:15 vs Tunisia
    Thursday, 8/2, 22:15 vs Qualifier 2
    Saturday, 8/4, 14:30 vs Qualifier 1
    Tuesday, 8/6, 22:15 vs Argentina

I think this is a good order for us. We play France first and both teams should be around the same level of fitness/cohesiveness. It is good to avoid the qualifiers early since they will have momentum from their tournament earlier in the summer. Playing Argentina last is also good, because their age will leave them slightly weaker by the end of the round and they would probably take it easy if they have already sealed a quarterfinal spot. We get 3 late time slots, which should make it a little easier to catch the action on TV.

Lance Thomas on the Select Team? He's a national champion and I will always love the guy for that, but I dont think he's earned a spot on the Select Team.

Was nice to see Bosh get in the game yesterday and play pretty well in his limited minutes. I'd have to assume at this point that he'd be healthy for the Olympics, but who knows if he'll choose to stay home and rest. Couldn't really blame him if he does. Also, if the Heat lose and decide to blow up the team, could that affect the availability of the Big Three? They might decide not to risk injury before starting with new teams and/or renegotiating their contracts.

Lance Thomas on the Select Team? He's a national champion and I will always love the guy for that, but I dont think he's earned a spot on the Select Team.
    I agree with you, but now it has been officially announced, and Colangelo has explained why, and now it makes sense. Good for Lance!

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...Team_add2.html
    “We made a commitment back in October that we would select two players from the 2011 USA Pan American Games Team and invite them to be part of the 2012 USA Select Team,” explained Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman. “Greg (Stiemsma) and Lance (Thomas) were valuable contributors to the USA’s bronze medal showing at the 2011 Pan American Games and both earned their way on to NBA rosters this season and demonstrated they can contribute at that level. I’m pleased to have both players join the USA Select Team.”

Not a surprise to anyone that watched the playoffs, but Wade is out. Knee surgery, out 6-8 weeks.