Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    RE: Cousins
    I think the presence of so many established Superstars prevents any young buck from acting out. While Cousins did get his coach fired, he also played his butt off since that firing. It's a risk, but one that I think is worth taking. I also think these kids need a chance to grow up and shouldn't forever be labeled by what they did when they were 20 and 21. If he's smart, he'd jump at the chance.

There are a lot of playoff games to be played and the risk of injury is huge. I don't know if we have the chance to add players as injuries occur after the final roster is submitted? If so, the guys on the Select Team will be that much more important.
    Great points.
    I wanted to focus mainly Cousins. I watch him play a lot. His offensive game is legit for a 2nd year player. He is so talented, I think he is a better player than Blake Griffin. But he has one of the worst personalities on the court I ever seen and he isnt the only one on the Kings like that. Losing must suck or has he always been like this? Team USA doesnt need a guy with that horrible personality on the team.

BUt if given the chance to compete for a spot on the Olympic team, I think he would beat out the likes of Greg Monroe, or any other big man that isnt already on the National team. Being on the Olympic team, and practicing against some future hall of famers, all stars, NBA champions, and being coach by K, would be a huge stepping stone for his career. We all saw how the guys from the 2010 World Championships teams are doing now.

With that said, I still rather see a guy like Zach Randolph, Boozer, even Greg Monroe than Cousins on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Great points.
    I wanted to focus mainly Cousins. I watch him play a lot. His offensive game is legit for a 2nd year player. He is so talented, I think he is a better player than Blake Griffin. But he has one of the worst personalities on the court I ever seen and he isnt the only one on the Kings like that. Losing must suck or has he always been like this? Team USA doesnt need a guy with that horrible personality on the team.

BUt if given the chance to compete for a spot on the Olympic team, I think he would beat out the likes of Greg Monroe, or any other big man that isnt already on the National team. Being on the Olympic team, and practicing against some future hall of famers, all stars, NBA champions, and being coach by K, would be a huge stepping stone for his career. We all saw how the guys from the 2010 World Championships teams are doing now.

With that said, I still rather see a guy like Zach Randolph, Boozer, even Greg Monroe than Cousins on the team.
    I think Monroe would make a good choice for the international competition. He has good size, so he can defend the post fairly well, and is as mobile as any big man. He is a very skilled passer, and should execute nicely in the larger lane. He will rebound, defend and facilitate offense nicely as a 5 in Coach K's scheme.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    How's Ty's D and how does he deal with larger, more physical PGs? He's definitely a really solid PG and very quick offensively, but the int'l game favors bigger, more physical PGs. Ty is definitely strong, but he's a little on the small side, especially for int'l ball, and I don't recall him being great defensively in general or against bigger PGs, but that could have easily changed. He has become a pretty good shooter, which would be a plus for him.
    Yeah, he would get killed on the high Pick and Roll. Great guy to have on offense, but would likely be a liability on defense. I would rather have one of the bigger PG's on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think Monroe would make a good choice for the international competition. He has good size, so he can defend the post fairly well, and is as mobile as any big man. He is a very skilled passer, and should execute nicely in the larger lane. He will rebound, defend and facilitate offense nicely as a 5 in Coach K's scheme.
    Couldn't agree more. Monroe seems like he'd be very good in the international game.

Monroe will also be well rested, no playoffs to wear him down.

Great points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Yeah, he would get killed on the high Pick and Roll. Great guy to have on offense, but would likely be a liability on defense. I would rather have one of the bigger PG's on the depth chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Monroe seems like he'd be very good in the international game.
    Monroe will also be well rested, no playoffs to wear him down.
    Welcome to the fan club, you all. I think Monroe is a 20-10 guy with Euro style passing skills. If he really starts knocking down the elbow and baseline jumper with consistency, watch out. He'd be a great fit for the US team in the high post.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Welcome to the fan club, you all. I think Monroe is a 20-10 guy with Euro style passing skills. If he really starts knocking down the elbow and baseline jumper with consistency, watch out. He'd be a great fit for the US team in the high post.
    Yes, Monroe would be a better option to represent Team USA, because he doesnt have the negative baggage. But Cousins is the better player. Hopefully both get invited to practice against the team and even challenge for a spot. I wouldnt bet against Cousins.
    Cousins can be a 24-12 guy.

Considering that Jerry Colangelo said that the 2012 Select Team will be formed with an eye toward it competing in the 2014 World Championships, and because the injury bug keeps hitting the 2012 Olympic team, and because the top alternates for the Olympic Team will likely come from the Select Team, I think we should waste some time trying to figure out who will be on the Select Team.

The first place to look for potential Select Team members are guys who played in the 2010 Worlds but aren’t expected to make the 2012 Olympic Team. We’ll forget Lamar Odom (personal issues) and Chauncey Billups (age). For this summer, because of injuries, we also have to ignore Steph Curry and Eric Gordon. If we assume Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love and Tyson Chandler are all Olympic hopefuls, that leaves; Rudy Gay, Andre Iguodala and Danny Granger.

The next place to looks is anyone we haven’t yet mentioned who was part of the officially announced 2010-2012 Senior National Team Pool of players. That group included the following players that we haven’t mentioned as part of the Olympic Team or 2010 Worlds Team; Carlos Boozer, Tyreke Evans, Jeff Green, Al Jefferson, David Lee, Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez, OJ Mayo, Kendrick Perkins, Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo, Amar’e Stoudemire, Gerald Wallace. Based on recent play, injury issues or past Team USA bad experience, I think the only players with a shot at the Select Team out of this group are Evans, Jefferson and Mayo.

So who remains? Here’s my list of potentials aside from those bolded above:

Centers:
    Greg Monroe, Roy Hibbert, Spencer Hawes, Anthony Davis

Forwards:
    Paul Milsap, Demarcus Cousins, Kenneth Faried, Ryan Andersen, Josh Smith, Derrick Favors, Thad Young, Taj Gibson, Brandan Wright, Kawhi Leonard, Steve Novak

Guards:
    Kyrie Irving, Lou Williams, Jeremy Lin, John Wall, Mike Conley, Brandon Jennings, Kyle Lowry, James Harden, Joe Johnson (give him another shot), Monta Ellis, Paul George, George Hill, Gordon Hayward, Tony Allen, Arron Afflalo

What do you guys think?

Considering that Jerry Colangelo said that the 2012 Select Team will be formed with an eye toward it competing in the 2014 World Championships, and because the injury bug keeps hitting the 2012 Olympic team, and because the top alternates for the Olympic Team will likely come from the Select Team, I think we should waste some time trying to figure out who will be on the Select Team.

The first place to look for potential Select Team members are guys who played in the 2010 Worlds but aren’t expected to make the 2012 Olympic Team. We’ll forget Lamar Odom (personal issues) and Chauncey Billups (age). For this summer, because of injuries, we also have to ignore Steph Curry and Eric Gordon. If we assume Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love and Tyson Chandler are all Olympic hopefuls, that leaves; Rudy Gay, Andre Iguodala and Danny Granger.

The next place to looks is anyone we haven’t yet mentioned who was part of the officially announced 2010-2012 Senior National Team Pool of players. That group included the following players that we haven’t mentioned as part of the Olympic Team or 2010 Worlds Team; Carlos Boozer, Tyreke Evans, Jeff Green, Al Jefferson, David Lee, Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez, OJ Mayo, Kendrick Perkins, Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo, Amar’e Stoudemire, Gerald Wallace. Based on recent play, injury issues or past Team USA bad experience, I think the only players with a shot at the Select Team out of this group are Evans, Jefferson and Mayo.

So who remains? Here’s my list of potentials aside from those bolded above:

Centers:
    Greg Monroe, Roy Hibbert, Spencer Hawes, Anthony Davis

Forwards:
    Paul Milsap, Demarcus Cousins, Kenneth Faried, Ryan Andersen, Josh Smith, Derrick Favors, Thad Young, Taj Gibson, Brandan Wright, Kawhi Leonard, Steve Novak

Guards:
    Kyrie Irving, Lou Williams, Jeremy Lin, John Wall, Mike Conley, Brandon Jennings, Kyle Lowry, James Harden, Joe Johnson (give him another shot), Monta Ellis, Paul George, George Hill, Gordon Hayward, Tony Allen, Arron Afflalo

What do you guys think?
    I'd note that Rose is not going to be an Olympic hopeful anymore. The torn ACL is likely to keep him out of action well into next NBA season.

As for your list, I'd say that Lee and Brook Lopez will be back in a month or two, so they may be ready in time for the Select team. If they are, they'll be there. I'd agree with Evans and Jefferson as well. Not sure about Mayo.

From the list of others, I'd say Anderson, Monroe, and Davis could join the frontcourt mix with Lee and Lopez. For the perimeter guys, Granger, Iguodala, and Gay make sense. So do Evans, Irving, and Lawson as PG. The question then is do we have enough shooters? If not, guys like Johnson, Hardin, or Hayward make sense on the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So do Evans, Irving, and Lawson as PG.
    Good catch, after lauding his play on my last note I left him off my list.

Yes, Monroe would be a better option to represent Team USA, because he doesnt have the negative baggage. But Cousins is the better player. Hopefully both get invited to practice against the team and even challenge for a spot. I wouldnt bet against Cousins.
    Cousins can be a 24-12 guy.
    Cousins vs. Monroe

Points per 36 - 21.4 vs. 17.6
    Rebounds per 36 - 13.0 vs. 11.0
    Assists per 36 - 1.9 vs. 2.6
    Blocks per 36 - 1.4 vs. 0.8
    FG % - .448 vs. .521
    Rebound rate - 19.8% vs. 18.3%
    Usage Rate - 29.7% vs. 23.6%
    Win Shares per game - .104 vs. .161
    PER - 21.72 vs. 22.09

I would argue that Cousins dominates the ball too much for Team USA. We already have Lebron, KD, Kobe etc, we need a guy to play defense, hit the boards and set screens. I dont see Boogie being happy doing that. Zach Randolph either. Monroe fits much better into both the team concept and the Euro style game.

Additionally, if you look at the stats above, the usage rate shows how much more Cousins dominates the ball to get his points. He shoots a much lower % as well. I'd argue for Monroe because he's more efficient and does not need the ball in his hands to be effective.

Cousins vs. Monroe

Points per 36 - 21.4 vs. 17.6
    Rebounds per 36 - 13.0 vs. 11.0
    Assists per 36 - 1.9 vs. 2.6
    Blocks per 36 - 1.4 vs. 0.8
    FG % - .448 vs. .521
    Rebound rate - 19.8% vs. 18.3%
    Usage Rate - 29.7% vs. 23.6%
    Win Shares per game - .104 vs. .161
    PER - 21.72 vs. 22.09

I would argue that Cousins dominates the ball too much for Team USA. We already have Lebron, KD, Kobe etc, we need a guy to play defense, hit the boards and set screens. I dont see Boogie being happy doing that. Zach Randolph either. Monroe fits much better into both the team concept and the Euro style game.

Additionally, if you look at the stats above, the usage rate shows how much more Cousins dominates the ball to get his points. He shoots a much lower % as well. I'd argue for Monroe because he's more efficient and does not need the ball in his hands to be effective.
    I think the size of the international lane would greatly impact Cousins' efficiency.

Some of these guys just are not good enough and we wont see them get better - so I'd leave off older guys like Josh Smith, Thad Young, Taj, Tony Allen, Afflalo. Other guys dont really seem like a good fit for the team first concept, so I'd exclude Monta, Cousins, Jennings,.

I'd go with the following -

Bigs - Monroe, Hibbert, Davis, Favors, Anderson, Faried
    Wings - Kawhi, Granger, Gay, Igoudala, Johnson
    Guards - Harden, Wall, Irving

Some of these guys may get a shot at the Olympic team depending on injuries and additions in the coming months.

I think the size of the international lane would greatly impact Cousins' efficiency.
    I thought the international lane is now the same size as the NBA's...

2010:
    [FIBA] abandon[ed] the trapezoid lane in favor of an NBA-sized rectangular lane
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=5549848

Or maybe it's now a rectangle, but a slightly different size?

Some of these guys just are not good enough and we wont see them get better - so I'd leave off older guys like Josh Smith, Thad Young, Taj, Tony Allen, Afflalo. Other guys dont really seem like a good fit for the team first concept, so I'd exclude Monta, Cousins, Jennings,.

I'd go with the following -

Bigs - Monroe, Hibbert, Davis, Favors, Anderson, Faried
    Wings - Kawhi, Granger, Gay, Igoudala, Johnson
    Guards - Harden, Wall, Irving

Some of these guys may get a shot at the Olympic team depending on injuries and additions in the coming months.
    I cant believe I forgot about Hibbert as a Center replacement. I would have him in over Cousins and Monroe. He is already an All-Star on a playoff team. The other 2 guys still learning how to win.

Gay is already among the list of players that are being considered.

Cool

Some of these guys just are not good enough and we wont see them get better - so I'd leave off older guys like Josh Smith, Thad Young, Taj, Tony Allen, Afflalo.
    Dang, Superdave, are you a fan of "Logan's Run? Most of the guys you name are only 27 years old! That's NBA prime.

I think all of the guys you mention have gotten better as they have gotten older, especially Smith who may be an All NBA 3rd teamer this year (there's a chance). Many of these guys are also lock-down defenders which is why I included them.

Dang, Superdave, are you a fan of "Logan's Run? Most of the guys you name are only 27 years old! That's NBA prime.

I think all of the guys you mention have gotten better as they have gotten older, especially Smith who may be an All NBA 3rd teamer this year (there's a chance). Many of these guys are also lock-down defenders which is why I included them.
    The team will be eating soylent green during training: just don't ask what happened to Chauncey Billups.

These guys I'd bounce are good, but they should be trying out for the Olympic roster not the Select (meaning junior) roster. I'd rather than let the young'uns who are 18-25 try out for the Select roster now and give them a chance for Team USA in 2014 and 2016.

To put it bluntly, Josh Smith is no Griffin/Aldridge/Melo/Howard. He's a really good player, but if he's not been competing with his peers the last 4-6 years for a spot on Team USA, I'd move on. The rest of those guys are the same - good players, but fully baked at this point in their careers.

I might have missed it in a previous post, but I think Andrew Bynum (especially with his recent play) will get strong consideration as well.

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    I might have missed it in a previous post, but I think Andrew Bynum (especially with his recent play) will get strong consideration as well.
    Bynum has pulled himself out of consideration. Says he needs to rehab his knee and is planning on some procedure over the summer as well as rest.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr...s-fyi-20120421