Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I don't know, Bosh is pretty good in international games, and we had 3 true bigs on the 2008 team. Only two in 2010, but we also had Odom who played the 5 at times. My best guess at this point:

Paul
    Bryant
    James
    Durant
    Chandler

Bench guards: Westbrook, Williams
    Wings/Forwards: Anthony, Wade, Gay
    Bigs: Love, Bosh

With maybe Griffin or a shooter like Curry having a chance to beat out Gay or Bosh.

I don't think Howard's injury is a huge deal, honestly. Chandler has been very good in international play, and has completely bought into the "Zoubek role" in the past.
    this looks almost identical to a post I saw a few pages back...

I just had Love start instead of Chandler. Also, I don't think Rose fits on this team at all. Too much of a scorer. Paul is the perfect fit and Williams is the perfect back up. Rose is too good to be the 3rd man, so leave him off the team and throw westbrook in as the 3rd. Rose and Rondo just don't seem to fit with this team.

We don't need ridiculous size to win. Love, Chandler, Bosh, LeBron, Melo and Durant should be fine. Melo and LeBron can play the 4 position in Euroball with relative ease.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Bosh, Haslem, and Anthony have averaged a combined 76 mpg at PF and C for the Heat this year (taking into account that Bosh has missed 5 games). In addition, guys like Pittman, Gladness, Howard, and Turiaf have combined for another 14 mpg. That leaves less than 6 mpg for other folks to play PF, and those minutes are split between James and Battier. So I stand by my comment that James rarely plays SF, but that he can certainly do it if needed.
    You did a great job looking up the stats for minutes played. But I just watch the games. I seen James guard Dirk, Pau Gasol, Griffin, Taj Gibson, Boozer. And it wasnt on rotation or switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Monroe isnt even on the list of candidates. He could be on the Select team.
    Garnett, Duncan, Camby arent even thinking about the Olympics.

You gonna have to accept that Bosh and Griffin both being on the Olympic team is pretty high, much higher than the 50% you give them. Because everyone you name isnt even in consideration, I dont understand what point your trying to make.
    My point is the list is not complete. A 20-man list that loses half the big men on it is not longer a worthwhile 20-man list. If we want to compete in London that list and not expand it, then we'll compete in London with one true center (Chandler) and that's it. Not wise.

I think you can get by with only Chandler and Howard if they are both on your roster. But with Howard gone, I think Chandler's proven fragile enough over the years that I want two more bigs who can play the 5 if necessary. To do that, you have to address the fact that your 20-man roster has 15 players on it today due to injury. Love can play the 5. But I would not trust Bosh to play the 5 against anyone over 190lbs. I want more size, so I'd go out and find it. Monroe's my guy.

Remember that JaVale almost made the 2010 team...and Lamar Odom started at center. So strange things can and will happen on the way to London.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Monroe isnt even on the list of candidates. He could be on the Select team.
    Probably not, as the Select Team is comprised of college players, not young pros. Kyle and Nolan were on it two years ago.

(I'm only here to nitpick, not offer any opinions)

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    But I would not trust Bosh to play the 5 against anyone over 190lbs. I want more size, so I'd go out and find it.
    Bosh did pretty well as Howard's backup at C in 2008. I don't see why he couldn't fill that role again in 2012, with Love and Chandler on the squad to brawl with the Marc Gasols of the world, if necessary.

Also, I think it's far from a given that Rose will play this year, given his health. I would think we'd take both Williams and Westbrook, in that case.

Bosh did pretty well as Howard's backup at C in 2008. I don't see why he couldn't fill that role again in 2012, with Love and Chandler on the squad to brawl with the Marc Gasols of the world, if necessary.

Also, I think it's far from a given that Rose will play this year, given his health. I would think we'd take both Williams and Westbrook, in that case.
    Without Howard on the roster, I would not want Chandler as much my only true center and PFs Bosh and Love as makeshift centers. I want another true center. I think Chandler is fragile, Love is too short and Bosh is too thin.

I agree on Rose. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    but the lack of a top tier true center on the team may hurt us in the later rounds when we play teams like Spain and Brazil that have 1st class frontlines.
    Without Howard on the roster, I would not want Chandler as much my only true center and PFs Bosh and Love as makeshift centers. I want another true center. I think Chandler is fragile, Love is too short and Bosh is too thin.
    I completely agree, as I stated in my previous post. In 2008, we got away with having 1 true center who was dominant, and two PFs who could sub in at times (Bosh and Boozer). Chandler as our lone true center may be servicable, but certainly isn't dominant, and I think it may hurt us if we don't sign another top tier guy.

Blake, Bynum, Bosh, Lamarcus, Garnett and Duncan are the candidates, plus Anthony Davis.
    Bynum is the only real option here. Lamarcus Aldrdige is out with an injury. Neither Griffin nor Garnett are true centers (and Garnett hasn't been involved with USA basketball since he won gold in 2000). Duncan was born in the 14th century and hasn't been involved with USA basketball since 2004. My guess is he's monitoring his mileage, but maybe he could be convinced...given Tim's game and his character, I would have thought Coach K would have approached him the first time around in 2006/2008. Don't know whether he was approached or not, but if he was and he declined I don't see him saying yes now either.

Without a 1st class, true center to man the paint for 20-25mpg, this team would appear flawed when paired against a spain or brazil (other teams with great frontlines?), but then again they won the worlds in 2010 with the "B" team and Lamar Odom starting at Center (they played and beat brazil but did not play spain), so K can probably figure it out.

I completely agree, as I stated in my previous post. In 2008, we got away with having 1 true center who was dominant, and two PFs who could sub in at times (Bosh and Boozer). Chandler as our lone true center may be servicable, but certainly isn't dominant, and I think it may hurt us if we don't sign another top tier guy.

Bynum is the only real option here. Lamarcus Aldrdige is out with an injury. Neither Griffin nor Garnett are true centers (and Garnett hasn't been involved with USA basketball since he won gold in 2000). Duncan was born in the 14th century and hasn't been involved with USA basketball since 2004. My guess is he's monitoring his mileage, but maybe he could be convinced...given Tim's game and his character, I would have thought Coach K would have approached him the first time around in 2006/2008. Don't know whether he was approached or not, but if he was and he declined I don't see him saying yes now either.

Without a 1st class, true center to man the paint for 20-25mpg, this team would appear flawed when paired against a spain or brazil (other teams with great frontlines?), but then again they won the worlds in 2010 with the "B" team and Lamar Odom starting at Center (they played and beat brazil but did not play spain), so K can probably figure it out.

I thought I remembered hearing that Timmy really didn't like Coach K and really doesn't want to play for him in any facet. Please correct me if this is wrong, I honestly thought I remembered that though.

Regardless of whether there is some animosity towards K from Duncan's perspective, I would be truly shocked to see Duncan play in the Olympics.

Westbrook>Rose in the international game. The World Championsips showed that, although maybe time will make a difference.

US is in a real bind for post players and Chandler is a must, simply to guard Spain. Simmons' Garnett idea isn't as far fetched as it sounds from a practicality standpoint but I am afraid USBA isn't that creative. Blake Griffin will sit the bench and/ or be a disaster. We don't need the offense and he can't play defense. The first time he gets called for an offensive foul for using his non ball arm to clear out the defender will ruin him for the international game.

Bynum is the only real option here.
    He won't be playing.

Here is some information on Monday's draw:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1419/arti.html

Soon we will get to think about our actual opponents in the first round.

Here is also an article covering the topic that has been discussed here recently:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1404/arti.html

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Here is some information on Monday's draw:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1419/arti.html

Soon we will get to think about our actual opponents in the first round.

Here is also an article covering the topic that has been discussed here recently:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1404/arti.html
    Looks like it'll be Chandler, Bosh and Love. Griffin is obviously a superstar in the league so I'll give him a shot, but his offensive game isn't a fit at all, and I don't think he's exactly a stalwart on defense, though he could be with the right focus. The people who make the team to play the 5 will be the guys willing to play defense and rebound.

Looks like it'll be Chandler, Bosh and Love. Griffin is obviously a superstar in the league so I'll give him a shot, but his offensive game isn't a fit at all, and I don't think he's exactly a stalwart on defense, though he could be with the right focus. The people who make the team to play the 5 will be the guys willing to play defense and rebound.
    Would Josh Smith get a look for a big man spot? (Not the guy besides the Wears that Tony Parker is backing up.) (Not the Tony Parker who was married to Eva Longoria.) (Not the Evan Longoria who plays for the Tampa Bay Rays.)

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Would Josh Smith get a look for a big man spot? (Not the guy besides the Wears that Tony Parker is backing up.) (Not the Tony Parker who was married to Eva Longoria.) (Not the Evan Longoria who plays for the Tampa Bay Rays.)
    Per the article linked above (and here again) they won't be inviting anymore people to the training camp. So no.

(BTW At first I definitely thought you were talking about the 300lb monster who ate Larry Drew at UCLA...then couldn't figure it out, then realized you were talking about the ATL Hawks PF. Personally, not a bad idea imo, but I don't think he's the type of guy K and Colangelo are looking for. Either way its moot, the guys that are on the roster now, i.e. the roster that was announced a few months ago, are the ones they are moving forward with)

Per the article linked above (and here again) they won't be inviting anymore people to the training camp. So no.

(BTW At first I definitely thought you were talking about the 300lb monster who ate Larry Drew at UCLA...then couldn't figure it out, then realized you were talking about the ATL Hawks PF. Personally, not a bad idea imo, but I don't think he's the type of guy K and Colangelo are looking for. Either way its moot, the guys that are on the roster now, i.e. the roster that was announced a few months ago, are the ones they are moving forward with)
    Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't noticed it before. That does make it a little nicer in that there aren't as many cuts that have to be made.

Duncan was born in the 14th century and hasn't been involved with USA basketball since 2004.
    Dude is tough. He survived the plague.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Probably not, as the Select Team is comprised of college players, not young pros. Kyle and Nolan were on it two years ago.

(I'm only here to nitpick, not offer any opinions)
    The Select Team will have NBA players on it. Young Pros.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Dude is tough. He survived the plague.
    Might have even fought in some of the later crusades?

My best guess at this point:

Paul
    Bryant
    James
    Durant
    Chandler

Bench guards: Westbrook, Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think Rose would get the nod over Westbrook IF he were going to play, but I doubt that he would even attempt it after the injury bug bit him hard this season.
    You guys have Derrick Rose, the reigning MVP who started on the 2010 team (the year before he won MVP) not making the team or barely making the team? I'm gonna say you guys aren't giving him nearlyenough credit. I think he not only makes the team, but he's my pick to start at this point. He's got a great attitude, K loves the kid and he's added a legit jumper to his game over the last two years, which puts him over the top imo. Did I mention he's the MVP?

Omg I think i killed derrick rose. (sry I'm watching the playoffs on DVR delay)

Omg I think i killed derrick rose. (sry I'm watching the playoffs on DVR delay)
    Haha wow, you really did.

BTW, Chandler and Bosh look absolutely terrible today. I'm rethinking my stance on Bosh being a legitimate NBA player, not to mention a member of the national team.