Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    We're all just waiting for K to adjust defensive schemes - aggressive tight man-to-man defense is NOT working with this team.
    I'm surprised it's gone on this long without a major adjustment to the defensive scheme. He must know something we don't...well I guarantee he does. Still very tough to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    scott having a career game ...of course....someone always does...ugh...

this is so frustrating...
    Players have career games against you when your defense stinks. No surprise the scoring is low and that we are struggling offensively. That was completely expected against Virginia's defense. My concern is how absolutely putrid our defense is. We haven't seen a Duke team with a defense this poor in a very long time. This has to rank as one of K's worst. Almost every UVA shot is uncontested. If they were hitting their 8 footers they would be going into halftime with a double digit lead. This has been just awful. I feel like we have regressed defensively as the season has gone on.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

I agree with some of the earlier posts...offense too often is 5-6 passes around the perimeter, chuck a contested 3 and miss. The first run Duke went on in the 1st half was the only time that they were getting some dribble penetration to the foul line area and some fast breaks...need to get some penetration to get past that first line of defense.
    If they are going to double team in the post, I would like to see the outside man drop down rather than bring the other big across the lane, Scott is too good of a passer to leave the other big for VA unguarded...they are getting some very easy looks at the rim due to this.

Here's hoping the 2nd half is better. The wife is a big UVA fan and I will hear about this one for a long time if things don't change.

ARo24

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    We're all just waiting for K to adjust defensive schemes - aggressive tight man-to-man defense is NOT working with this team.
    I know. My problem is if that change really was coming, you would have thought that it would have been made over the break.

Quote Originally Posted by dahntaysdawg View Post
    I'm surprised it's gone on this long without a major adjustment to the defensive scheme. He must know something we don't...well I guarantee he does. Still very tough to stomach.
    I personally think he's just stubborn. It's worked so well for so long that he figures it will work this year. Maybe it will, but so far, no dice.

Mike Scott is playing great but that is what really good players do. He was tabbed by some as a conference player of the year kind of guy so this performance isn't surprising to me. Our best players on the other hand not so good... Mason Plumlee balls out on the 2 best bigs in the nation in T Robinson and Sullinger. But against some dude named Sene he can't even pin him in the post to get the ball.

Could we please make someone besides Mike Scott shoot the ball.

Ryan Kelly is keeping us in it with his hustle plays. Andre with 2 big 3's problem is he gives up points like its his job on the other end.

Austin Rivers lack of versatility in driving the ball has made him easier to stop, same ol crossover, people are just backing up and waiting for it.

I know Virginia is a great defensive team but our offense is pretty poor. Seth Davis was right for all of you who said he was an idiot.

Again, no leadership, no nastiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    We are a mediocre team at best right now. Poor turnovers. Bad at feeding the post. Unforced turnovers. Only 1 creator, and he needs to mature. Terrible rotation on defense.
    I agree, this team is asleep at the wheel. The guys look lost, either standing around or chunking up 3's that aren't even close. What a hideous way to end the first half, I suspect this to be loss number 3 coming up. I hope I'm wrong but the stats don't lie.

I counted only two successful low post feeds for scoring in the first half. And only six total feeds in from the guards.

Neither scores occured with post player's back to the basket.

It's my contention interior post play has to improve for Duke to become an elite team this year.

Virginia is playing defense like we used to and we're playing offense like they used to. I can't remember seeing a Duke team give up so many wide open shots and Virginia has missed some close in shots they should have made. Quinn and Andre had some defensive mistakes that VA. some easy baskets. Ryan is very active and I hope they get him the ball close to the basket as it looks like it's hack-a-Mason night. I hope we come out strong like Duke used to do. Get on a 10-0 run out of the dressing room. GoDuke!

No Fire.

I remember when pounding the floor meant something. That's not this team. Lots of individual talent, but no one who refuses to lose.

This team has 1st Round upset and out written all over them.

#1 Team Defense is bad - I honestly cannot remember a Duke team that played this poorly on the defensive end.

#2 Careless/Sloppy with the ball - Our team assist to turnover ratio has to be awful on the season. 1-1 if we are lucky (without looking)

#3 Poor free throw shooting - Mason in particular is just dreadful from the line its an automatic turnover.

#4 No one can create their own shot but Rivers and he plays out of control far too often.

Quote Originally Posted by aro24 View Post
    need to get some penetration to get past that first line of defense.
    ARo24
    Yeah sounds great but who do we have that can do it? Austin's drive is being shut down as the Cavs extend on the pick. Nobody else on the floor has the ability to penetrate except maybe for Andre who I think has an ability to draw fouls when he drives. Problem is when Dre has been in so far, our defense takes a major, major hit. I'm not sure Andre knows where he is on the screen and roll.

I honestly don't care what our offense does 2nd half. If we can accomplish something on defense then we can win this game, otherwise the Cavs finally break the streak.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

AND...

...I don't hope for a half time adjustment like I'm used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I counted only two successful low post feeds for scoring in the first half. And only six total feeds in from the guards.

It's my contention interior post play has to improve for Duke to become an elite team this year.
    Since it should be a strength for this team, I agree. But we don't make the entry pass very well. VA is over playing Mason and we don't seem to have a guard that can pass the ball over the defender for an easy layup. Or maybe we don't have that play in playbook. GoDuke!

I think we get kind of lost when our guards are contained and taken out of the 3 point game ( Temple ). Instead of adjusting and sending them in to penetrate and dish to the bigs, we stay FAR out on the perimeter and look lost.
    We should be penetrating and drawing fouls if nothing else and trying to get their bigs in foul trouble.
    This team just needs to learn to adapt and take what your given. A little hustle on defense wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

Something is wrong here. My computer is auto-generating Wheat posts from 1998.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

A-MEN

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    I remember when pounding the floor meant something. That's not this team. Lots of individual talent, but no one who refuses to lose.
    Amen, it's not "just" the talent of Singler and Smith that this team misses. But, alas, I shall complain no more on this forum.
    GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez guys, after reading all the posts I thought we were down by 20. It's a 4 point game, things will turn around in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Since it should be a strength for this team, I agree. But we don't make the entry pass very well. VA is over playing Mason and we don't seem to have a guard that can pass the ball over the defender for an easy layup. Or maybe we don't have that play in playbook. GoDuke!
    Kelly made a couple of attempts but both were deflected - couldn't tell what kind of angle he had, but both led to bad turnovers and I think quick scores on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Geez guys, after reading all the posts I thought we were down by 20. It's a 4 point game, things will turn around in the second half.
    It's not the size of the deficit. It's how they got there.