Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Virginia Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I looked forward to this game as the first real test from the ACC schedule. Little did I suspect at the time that GT would give us fits in an away game. Fortunately, we are playing UVa at homeand we may need all the edge we can get. UVa is very well coached and is ranked, although their schedule doesn't show a lot of wins against powerhouses. They did just squeak by Miami at home though.

The parts of the roster which get the most of the playing time are:

1. Scott - ACC player of the week, a 6'8" 237 pound dynamo
    2. Harris - a 6'6" 211 pound guard
    3. Zeglinski - a 6'1" 184 pound guard
    4.- Brogdan - a 6'5" 215 pound guard
    5. - Evans - a 5'11" 188 pound guard
    6.- Sene - a 7 foot 239 pound center
    7. - Harrell - a 6'4" 202 pound guard
    8. - Mitchell - a 6'6" 205 pound forward

They have some other bigs on the roster, but beyond these 8, they are not getting a lot of PT.

With Scott and Sene, they match up well with our back line, but Sene is only good for about 20 minutes a game, so we will have a size advantage for about 1/2 the game. We should be able to match up size wise with their PG, but their shooting guards and small forwards may cause us the kind of difficulties we have been seeing of late. Expect a fairly low scoring game, since our shooters will have difficulty going over their guards.

Be interested in any insights going into the match.

I think the game is Thursday. But I agree with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post

Be interested in any insights going into the match.
    Game is Thursday.

Who defends Scott?

The question I have is who covers Mike Scott? We have seen the difficulty Ryan Kelly has defending quicker opponents so I do not believe he can handle Scott so that means Mason and Miles have to split time with the assignment. When Kelly is in the game, I expect he will be assigned to Assane Sene. Our front court players will need to avoid foul trouble in this game, which hasn't been a problem this season.
    Bob Green

How does Bennett manage to slow the offense so much? That Miami game was pretty much a nap in the first half and it wasn't just on missed shots.
    Same way Tony's WA St teams played. It's just incredible how slow the scoring pace is.

Duke vs Virginia under Bennett

2/28/2010
    Duke wins 67-49 in Charlottesville. Duke loses on the boards 31-33 but holds UVa to 31% shooting. Mike Scott was 0-6 in 12 minutes.

3/12/2010
    Duke wins 57-46 in the ACCT. The game was tied at the half. Duke won the boards 39-37. Mike Scott was 6-11 for 14 points and 11 boards.

1/15/2011
    Duke wins 76-60. We shot 5-20 from 3 but won on the boards 42-31. Scott did not play. Nolan had 29, Andre had 14.

2/16/2011
    Duke wins 56-41 in Charlottesville. Duke shot 50% from the field and held UVa to 28%. Duke won the boards 39-29 but had 18 turnovers. No Mike Scott.

A funny feeling

There are some games that Duke plays that I get that funny little feeling about. This is one of those games. Virginia has the best team since Bennett became coach and I consider the Cav coach one of the better coaches in the conference. With their height and length at a couple of positions, we could have trouble defending those particular players. I feel the front court players will probably be a wash. What could make or break us is our ability to make threes. If we're hot, we win. If we're not it could go down to the wire. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    There are some games that Duke plays that I get that funny little feeling about. This is one of those games.
    I remember a game where I had the same antsy feelings about.
    This one!!
    I fully expected Duke to get bounced... But what happened! A dominating performance!
    Was the cheer "1 2 3 4 Shaq cant play this game no more"?

Sometimes you get pleasantly surprised is all I'm saying..

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    This one!!
    I fully expected Duke to get bounced... But what happened! A dominating performance!

I miss the days when Duke actually knew how to run.

This one!!

I understand completely. I wouldn't have that feeling if Christian and Grant were still playing. GoDuke!

This one!!

"Shaq can't slam! Shaq can't slam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    ... their schedule doesn't show a lot of wins against powerhouses.

The parts of the roster which get the most of the playing time are:

1. Scott - ACC player of the week, a 6'8" 237 pound dynamo
    2. Harris - a 6'6" 211 pound guard
    3. Zeglinski - a 6'1" 184 pound guard
    4.- Brogdan - a 6'5" 215 pound guard
    5. - Evans - a 5'11" 188 pound guard
    6.- Sene - a 7 foot 239 pound center
    7. - Harrell - a 6'4" 202 pound guard
    8. - Mitchell - a 6'6" 205 pound forward
    Schedule - Kenpom has their SOS as a very weak 327 - compared to Duke's 5 - but I give them some credit for away wins at Oregon and LSU. And beating Michigan at home was impressive.

Harrell transferred out just before Christmas, so Bennett essentially plays 7 guys: 3 bigs and 4 perimeter players. While a 6'8" Fr, Darion Atkins, now plays just enough to say Bennett goes 8 deep, you could say that Josh and Michael also play about the same minutes, and K goes 10 deep. Duke has more depth.

Anyhow, UVa wins with its D, Duke with its O, so far. As 2 of UVa's wings are big guards [shades of Temple?], we'd all like to see some solid D from Andre, Austin, and possibly Michael on Harris and Brogdan. Their top scorers are also pretty good FT-shooters.

Duke's big 3 might block a few shots; not so much from UVa's bigs.

Duke wants it 80-67. UVa wants it in the 50s.

Virginia's slow pace plays to duke's strengths, a front line size and rebounding advantage and three point shooting. Be nice to see Andre have a great game too. Also will be a good defensive test for Duke, will Mason guard Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    Virginia's slow pace plays to duke's strengths, a front line size and rebounding advantage and three point shooting. Be nice to see Andre have a great game too. Also will be a good defensive test for Duke, will Mason guard Scott?
    I would assume so when Kelly is in the game. If Miles is in though he could draw that assignment. Although I think it may be better to keep Mason on him since Miles is better at help defense. The safe bet would be to say that all three bigs will take turns.

I have watched most of Virginia's games this year. They are definitely the 3rd best team I have seen play this year behind Duke and Carolina. Although their schedule hasn't been daunting thus far, they are gaining confidence with each win and have posted road wins at LSU and Oregon, like others have mentioned. They have also squeaked a few wins out by 5 points or less, most notably a 1 point win over Miami last Saturday.

One notable thing I have noticed about them is their tenacity on defense in half court sets. Tony Bennett's pack line defense forces offenses to slow down and crowds the floor inside the 3 point line preventing cuts and drives to the basket. Virginia also hedges screens really well and they preach defensive rebounding. The key to overcoming their defense will be to beat them on the boards, especially when they miss shots. Their defense is significantly easier to score on in transition after they miss shots and after they turn the ball over. Preventing them from setting up their defense and forcing them into a baseline to Baseline game will benefit Duke.

I think throwing Miles, Mason, and Ryan Kelly at Scott will give him looks that he hasn't had yet. Add in Hairston and we have 4 solid bodies we can mix in on him. He may get his share still, but I'd be surprised to see him erupt for 20+ like he had vs. Miami. Duke needs to be crisper on total team defense and if they are and are knocking down 3s, I could see them winning 70-55. However, if we get forced into a slug it out, half court game, then UVA is capable of hanging around and pulling off an upset. I think Kelly is the key offensively as he presents a matchup problem for Scott and Sene. Neither want to get pulled far away from the basket on defense and he is capable of draining 3s. Look for him to have a solid night.

It will be a battle, no doubt! Let's see how we fare against a ranked conference opponent!

I think the key for us will be limiting turn-overs. No drives to nowhere, please.

I would hope we can wear them down over 40 minutes, and it would be a bonus to get up early and force them to try and speed the game up.

I am impressed with Bennett and think UVa is in good hands. He should be able to put them back on the map, if he hasn't already done so.

One fairly simple, but important key for success against the Cavs:

If we shoot 3's well, we'll likely win (and I'd guess by double digits)
    We were 6-22 from 3 against Ga Tech and that was one factor that made that game close
    Hard to get in the lane vs UVa, but should be possible to get good looks from outside with good ball movement

Knock 'em down, guys.
    Let me watch and breathe easy.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

We were 6-22 from 3 against Ga Tech and that was one factor that made that game close
    Hard to get in the lane vs UVa, but should be possible to get good looks from outside with good ball movement

Knock 'em down, guys.
    I agree with this. And on defense I think the key will be Harris. He is the type of guard that can give us trouble. Scott will have his normal good game and I think the Duke bigs can match him. But if Harris and Zeglinski get hot and match Duke's perimeter scoring then UVA can pull the upset.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I have watched most of Virginia's games this year. They are definitely the 3rd best team I have seen play this year behind Duke and Carolina. Although their schedule hasn't been daunting thus far, they are gaining confidence with each win and have posted road wins at LSU and Oregon, like others have mentioned. They have also squeaked a few wins out by 5 points or less, most notably a 1 point win over Miami last Saturday.

One notable thing I have noticed about them is their tenacity on defense in half court sets. Tony Bennett's pack line defense forces offenses to slow down and crowds the floor inside the 3 point line preventing cuts and drives to the basket. Virginia also hedges screens really well and they preach defensive rebounding. The key to overcoming their defense will be to beat them on the boards, especially when they miss shots. Their defense is significantly easier to score on in transition after they miss shots and after they turn the ball over. Preventing them from setting up their defense and forcing them into a baseline to Baseline game will benefit Duke.

I think throwing Miles, Mason, and Ryan Kelly at Scott will give him looks that he hasn't had yet. Add in Hairston and we have 4 solid bodies we can mix in on him. He may get his share still, but I'd be surprised to see him erupt for 20+ like he had vs. Miami. Duke needs to be crisper on total team defense and if they are and are knocking down 3s, I could see them winning 70-55. However, if we get forced into a slug it out, half court game, then UVA is capable of hanging around and pulling off an upset. I think Kelly is the key offensively as he presents a matchup problem for Scott and Sene. Neither want to get pulled far away from the basket on defense and he is capable of draining 3s. Look for him to have a solid night.

It will be a battle, no doubt! Let's see how we fare against a ranked conference opponent!
    Teams that hedge aggresively on screen really set up Kelly on the pick and pop

Pass and no so much dribbling

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Knock 'em down, guys.
    ^ This, VA tries to make it hard to drive the ball. The best way to beat VA's zone is with crisp passes and not so much dribbling. This is what I hope to see Thursday night. We should also be able to get offensive rebounds and put backs. With the extra days to work on this, Coach K has probably worked on beating that zone. Make those 3s guys. GoDuke!