Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Well, incidentally, it sounds like Julius is going to transfer to Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh for his final year in school. I don't have a link but will try to find one. Curious how people think this will impact his recruitment (if at all)?
    Would seem to move him into the ACC sphere of things and perhaps be favorable to our chances. But who knows?

Be nice to follow his progress and perhaps see him play.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Would seem to move him into the ACC sphere of things and perhaps be favorable to our chances. But who knows?

Be nice to follow his progress and perhaps see him play.
    It also puts him more in reach of NC State and UNC. I know I'm sounding paranoid and a lot of people support the resurgence of State; but I think this move along with State's success in the tournament this year could mean that Duke could get heavy competition from both UNC and State for Randle's services.

Saw a couple of places tonight that Randle is not going to WOG, from Evan Daniels on twitter specifically.

Short But Oh So Sweet

EYBL Highlights

Pretty nice? Sheesh. Some of that was amazing! A 6'9 player crossing cats over at the three point line and taking it to the hole? Wow. Who else does that? I have to really think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Pretty nice? Sheesh. Some of that was amazing! A 6'9 player crossing cats over at the three point line and taking it to the hole? Wow. Who else does that? I have to really think about this.
    Lebron James

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    Lebron James
    Basically. But honestly he struck me as a little Dwayne Wadeish with it. Can't recall a jumper to give me some Dirk perspective.

Dang

He is a impressive player. Great body control. I also like how bullish he is going to the cup!

"Elton Brand with even more athleticism"

Seems like Julius is getting a lot of praise these days. Here's a little piece from the Sporting News about Matt Jones and Julius.

LINK

Interesting

Seems like Julius is getting a lot of praise these days. Here's a little piece from the Sporting News about Matt Jones and Julius.

LINK
    Elton Brand was pretty darned athletic at Duke. Maybe he didn't jump that high, but he wasn't a bad jumper. More importantly, he was extremely quick for his size and had great hands. So if Randle is like Brand, but more athletic, I'll take that any day.

The Elton days were awesome. He was simply unstoppable. A man among boys. If Randle is comparable to Elton, then I sure hope we see him in Duke blue.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Elton Brand was pretty darned athletic at Duke. Maybe he didn't jump that high, but he wasn't a bad jumper. More importantly, he was extremely quick for his size and had great hands. So if Randle is like Brand, but more athletic, I'll take that any day.
    I'd take just the "like Brand" part any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    I'd take just the "like Brand" part any day.
    Agreed. I'd even take "not quite as good as Brand."

Brand was much more of a back to the basket/banger during his Duke days while Randle seems to be more of a face up player and much quicker. Although they have somewhat similar body types, they are two different players (at this point in their development anyway). Brand was special because of his hands and his feel around the basket and Randle doesn't seem to have those skills yet. He is much more like Blake Griffin (but with a better perimeter game). Poor man's Lebron, maybe? A bulldozer, madman who dunks on everyone and can hit 15 - 20 footers.

Quote Originally Posted by duke1983 View Post
    Brand was much more of a back to the basket/banger during his Duke days while Randle seems to be more of a face up player and much quicker. Although they have somewhat similar body types, they are two different players (at this point in their development anyway). Brand was special because of his hands and his feel around the basket and Randle doesn't seem to have those skills yet. He is much more like Blake Griffin (but with a better perimeter game). Poor man's Lebron, maybe? A bulldozer, madman who dunks on everyone and can hit 15 - 20 footers.
    I'd take a Brand with more athleticism, a Brand with less athleticism, a poor man's Lebron, a homeless man's Lebron, or a Julius Randle 1.0.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by duke1983 View Post
    Poor man's Lebron, maybe?
    I think whoever gets Julius will be a "one-percenter" no matter how you slice it.

But agreed, his game seems more like Lebron's than Elton's at this stage.

Personally, I would be happy to have him and in a few years folks can talk about "the poor man's Randle"

This article makes him sound amazing and exactly what we'd need in 2013 with Mason and Ryan graduating. If Marshall Plumlee can develop into a threat, pairing him with Randle would make for a beastly front court to go along with our very athletic perimeter/wings. I think I agree with the poster in another thread who suggested that Randle might be a better get for us than the higher-rated Parker, as he would fill more of a positional need. Obviously we would take them both if we could

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This article makes him sound amazing and exactly what we'd need in 2013 with Mason and Ryan graduating. If Marshall Plumlee can develop into a threat, pairing him with Randle would make for a beastly front court to go along with our very athletic perimeter/wings. I think I agree with the poster in another thread who suggested that Randle might be a better get for us than the higher-rated Parker, as he would fill more of a positional need. Obviously we would take them both if we could
    Even if Marshall doesn't become an offensive threat but a defense threat (think poor man's Tyson Chandler), then Randle would have even more incentive to come over. That would be nasty frontcourt combo mixed with (alarmingly) athletic wing players. However, I don't want to think about Randle coming to Duke - I've gotten my heart broken before (although the last time that happened, we ended up winning the tourney and that player turned out to be the most overrated recruit in the last 10 years).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Randle absolutely fills more of a need than Parker, as we have two 6'8" SF options already. That said, I would certainly be okay with adding Parker as well.

But if we could only get one, Randle would seem the more important get.