Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yeah.

I just can't take the silliness of the recruiting game. My attitude at this point is, Mike Krzyzewski knows what he's doing, and he will have some new guys in every year. I'll learn their names when they have a jersey number. I mean, I hope they all come, I hope this dude comes to Duke, but in the meantime, I'm not wetting my britches.

I love college football, but I pay no attention to Signing Day in February, either.

Harrison Barnes. Exhibit A. Good player. UNC did little with him, other than go 2-3 against us. Whatever. Woo, Skype.

I totally get what you mean. Coach k and the staff will figure it out whatever happens so why are we going crazy over it? I think a big part of it is the fun that goes into putting your team on paper. I mean on paper, we will be crazy good next year. On paper Jabari Parker "completes" our team. We really won't know until the next season begins, but man a team with Quinn, Rasheed, Rodney, Dre, Matt Jones, Marshall, Amile, Alex, TT, Semi, Josh, AND Jabari is an embarrassment of riches is it not?

I think we'll be fine with or without him but it's fun to sometimes be the team that has all the he around them because of guys like him (see Kentucky 2012). So we'll see, I will be watching. Which by the way, did he say how he will be announcing? Will it be televised?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    ... did he say how he will be announcing? Will it be televised?
    There had been plans to broadcast his announcement on ESPNU, but there is rising concern that there will be a scheduling conflict. Tony Parker's announcement may not be over

Article from the Tribune

LINK

States the announcement will be at 3pm on 12/20. It's of course a news conference but doesn't make mention of ESPNU or anything of that sort.

You can check out Jabari tonight at 9:30pm (Eastern) on ESPN as his Simeon team plays Desoto featuring Matt Jones (SG, and Duke commit). Should be a good one, although this will be Jabari's second game back from injury so he may play limited minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    There had been plans to broadcast his announcement on ESPNU, but there is rising concern that there will be a scheduling conflict. Tony Parker's announcement may not be over
    Which begs the questions of:

When will TP's announcement be out on DVD/Blue Ray and how many volumes it will be?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    His freshman season at Mississippi State, Rodney Hood scored 10+ ppg, almost 5 rpg, 2 apg and shot 36+% from 3-land as a 6'8" guard. He was on the SEC All-Freshman team. He has the handle and shooting touch of a guard in a 6'8" body, which makes him a probable first round NBA pick whenever he chooses to come out. Reports from Duke practices say he's the real deal. Maybe he stays one year, maybe he stays two, but he's a legitimate early entry candidate and is a big favorite to start for Duke next season.
    Yes. Also, it's important to remember that when people talk about Hood possibly being one-and-done at Duke, they really mean three- (or at least two and a half-) and-done, because at the end of next season he will have been playing at the college level for three years, even if one of them was only in practice. The idea that someone with his skill set might be an attractive draft pick leaving college one year early is much less controversial, surely, than the idea that he might be an attractive draft pick as a true one-and-done.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Which begs the questions of:

When will TP's announcement be out on DVD/Blue Ray and how many volumes it will be?
    There were negotiations with Peter Jackson to handle the project, but he backed out because he realized it would be longer than his LOTR and Hobbit trilogies combined

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Really? Even without Jabari we'll have at least two potential early entrants (Rasheed and Rodney) plus a top-flight PG (Quinn), a couple of great shooters (Matt, Andre), a few more athletic 6'6 to 6'8 types (Alex, Amile, Semi), and a seven footer (Marshall), and that's without even mentioning our two seniors (Tyler, Josh). Obviously we'll be better with Jabari than without, but that group seems pretty powerful to me.
    I like Hood, I think he'll be good and fit in well to what we're doing.

That said I don't think he'll be 1st team All-ACC or anything (I mean it could happen but is kind of a longshot). We are losing Kelly, Mason, and Curry- those are some huge losses and big shoes to fill. I think between Hood/Amile/MP3/Murphy and improvements from Quinn + Sheed we can replace a decent % of their production, but I'd say we'd need things to work out a decent bit more favorably than expected to become a top 3 team with that core.

I'd qualify our team next year w/o Parker as a run of the mill 2 seed that could be fun to root for. There's nothing wrong with that. But I see Parker as the guy who may be able to bridge the gap between that and a soulcrushing juggernaut that I am giddy to root for on a nightly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by supbros View Post
    I think between Hood/Amile/MP3/Murphy and improvements from Quinn + Sheed we can replace a decent % of their production, but I'd say we'd need things to work out a decent bit more favorably than expected to become a top 3 team with that core.
    I agree with this statement. That said, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Is it unreasonable to see Cook and Sulaimon becoming 1st Team All-ACC players? I'd say that's very possible. I'd also say that it is possible that Hood (double-figure scorer as a freshman in the SEC, and with a year of practice experience at Duke) could contend for such an honor.

I think our backcourt could be as good or better than the current backcourt (very different, mind you). The question really is what we'll get from the frontcourt. That's where we lose the most, in terms of versatility (Kelly) and dominance (Mason). Can Marshall, Hairston, Jefferson, and (perhaps) Murphy fill that void? Who knows?

I'd qualify our team next year w/o Parker as a run of the mill 2 seed that could be fun to root for. There's nothing wrong with that. But I see Parker as the guy who may be able to bridge the gap between that and a soulcrushing juggernaut that I am giddy to root for on a nightly basis.
    I won't get into seeding as that relies on too many unknowns. But I agree with the general sentiment. We'll certainly be a good team without Parker. We could even be an elite team without Parker if the cards fall right in terms of player development. But with Parker, we could make the jump into "a juggernaut."

I like Hood, I think he'll be good and fit in well to what we're doing.

That said I don't think he'll be 1st team All-ACC or anything (I mean it could happen but is kind of a longshot). We are losing Kelly, Mason, and Curry- those are some huge losses and big shoes to fill. I think between Hood/Amile/MP3/Murphy and improvements from Quinn + Sheed we can replace a decent % of their production, but I'd say we'd need things to work out a decent bit more favorably than expected to become a top 3 team with that core.

Two things:

-Preseason practice is preseason practice, but during the one practice they televised from the army base, Rodney Hood looked like a man among boys, like the best player on the court. I think he's going to be very good.

-To quote you, "I'd qualify our team next year w/o Parker as a run of the mill 2 seed that could be fun to root for." Change Jabari for Tony and the same exact sentences were being spoken last year. Yet, here we are, #2 in the country.

Obviously we want Parker, but recent history has to demonstrate that getting or losing a top recruit doesn't guarantee success or failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Two things:

-Preseason practice is preseason practice, but during the one practice they televised from the army base, Rodney Hood looked like a man among boys, like the best player on the court. I think he's going to be very good.

-To quote you, "I'd qualify our team next year w/o Parker as a run of the mill 2 seed that could be fun to root for." Change Jabari for Tony and the same exact sentences were being spoken last year. Yet, here we are, #2 in the country.

Obviously we want Parker, but recent history has to demonstrate that getting or losing a top recruit doesn't guarantee success or failure.

Tony and Jabari shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

I think we're very good next year w/o Parker but much better w/ him.

ladies and gentlemen of the jury, i offer for your inspection KENDAL MARSHAL (and to a lesser extent, Austin rivers) as an excellent example of how going to the league early is soooooooooo over rated...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ladies and gentlemen of the jury, i offer for your inspection KENDAL MARSHAL (and to a lesser extent, Austin rivers) as an excellent example of how going to the league early is soooooooooo over rated...
    Maybe when he starts playing better, the Suns will give him the last letter of his first and last name back.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Maybe when he starts playing better, the Suns will give him the last letter of his first and last name back.
    It is that bad? They told him to get the "L" out of there?

you have to EARN those Ls
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It is that bad? They told him to get the "L" out of there?
    Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    you have to EARN those Ls
    Phoenix has earned plenty of Ls without Mr Marshall, thank you. (8-15)

Mr. Marshall isn't even in the league right now - he's in the D-League. (and he's not even very good there)

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfil...all/index.html

That Was Actually a Fair Point

Originally Posted by Billy Dat
    Two things:

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post

Tony and Jabari shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

I think we're very good next year w/o Parker but much better w/ him.
    Actually, the relative talent of Tony and Jabari does not matter to this point. The point is that a year ago a prevailing sentiment was that this year's team would be good but not great without an additional "prized" recruit. Many said we would not take a significant step forward without better incoming talent. Nevertheless, we did not get Tony but our team has improved and we have every reason to be considered among the very best of the title contenders.

Very fair to make a comparison to the current debate about Jabari. Yes, we would be better with him. That does not mean that without him we will not be great. In truth, IMHO, the concern with next year's team is in the post, which will likely not be dramatically affected by Jabari unless he can do a Battier impression (otherworldly versatile, capable of defending 5s despite limited size) as a frosh.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree with this statement. That said, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Is it unreasonable to see Cook and Sulaimon becoming 1st Team All-ACC players? I'd say that's very possible. I'd also say that it is possible that Hood (double-figure scorer as a freshman in the SEC, and with a year of practice experience at Duke) could contend for such an honor.

I think our backcourt could be as good or better than the current backcourt (very different, mind you). The question really is what we'll get from the frontcourt. That's where we lose the most, in terms of versatility (Kelly) and dominance (Mason). Can Marshall, Hairston, Jefferson, and (perhaps) Murphy fill that void? Who knows?

I won't get into seeding as that relies on too many unknowns. But I agree with the general sentiment. We'll certainly be a good team without Parker. We could even be an elite team without Parker if the cards fall right in terms of player development. But with Parker, we could make the jump into "a juggernaut."
    Completely agree with this post. I think Quinn and Sheed will both have great shots at 1st team all-ACC. Hood could contend but I feel that his odds are clearly lower than Quinn and Sheed. Then again it is hard enough to project an average transition from freshman > sophomore, let alone one that entails an extra year of practice in between as well as a new coach + teammates + system. He certainly has a wide range of possible outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Two things:

I don't know who was saying that about Tony Parker, but that thought never occurred to me. I thought that TP would be nice to bridge the gap to life w/o Mason, but never expected him to make a significant impact as a freshman at Duke. How many freshmen who were not top 20 recruits have made a substantial impact for us? Scheyer's the only one I can think of who was decent, but he wasn't even that great nor was that team.

Parker was the #1 recruit and projected #1 draft pick prior to Wiggins re-classifying, he could easily have a Durant/Beasley/Melo level impact and likely will be at least as good as Luol Deng was. He's worth exponentially more to us as a freshman that a recruit on TP's level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    Actually, the relative talent of Tony and Jabari does not matter to this point. The point is that a year ago a prevailing sentiment was that this year's team would be good but not great without an additional "prized" recruit. Many said we would not take a significant step forward without better incoming talent. Nevertheless, we did not get Tony but our team has improved and we have every reason to be considered among the very best of the title contenders.

Very fair to make a comparison to the current debate about Jabari. Yes, we would be better with him. That does not mean that without him we will not be great. In truth, IMHO, the concern with next year's team is in the post, which will likely not be dramatically affected by Jabari unless he can do a Battier impression (otherworldly versatile, capable of defending 5s despite limited size) as a frosh.
    I don't see why you'd use people who were completely wrong and underrated our current players as a flash point for predicting next year.

It's safe to disregard any predictions from anybody who thought TP would be an impact player for Duke as a freshman had he committed.