Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Let's wait and see how this year's Duke squad does against this year's Kentucky squad on November 13. Duke will have players ranked by the RSCI as #12, #14, #18, #21, #31, #32, #49, #61, and two unranked vs. Kentucky's #1, #8, #10, #19, #22, and #38 (at least four and maybe as many as six NBA players in a 6 or 7 man rotation). If Kentucky blows us out I'll revise my position on this, but I think our team is as good or better. And even without Jabari Parker I'd say our 2013-14 squad would have a similar chance to compete with the 2013-14 Kentucky squad.

This is just a recipe for an ulcer. Calm down, man. He's not even close to one of our most important recruits ever.
    Well, I actually think we should win the November game against UK. We're a team with 3 senior starters playing against a team missing its top 4 or 5 scorers from last year and like 1 game of experience playing together against Div-I competition. Honestly, I would be embarrassed to lose that game, even against such a talented roster. If we played the same team in February, I'd be much more worried.

I'm as prone to hyperbole as the next guy, and I'll admit it usually when I go overboard, but I'm still holding steady on my position that Jabari is a crucial recruit for us. Duke needs to prove that it can compete year in an year out with Calipari in recruiting. We've been consistently getting at least one top guy each year, which is good, but UK is getting like 2 or 3 of these guys every year. Say what you will about 1 and dones, but UK proved last year that if you get the right guys with good character and work ethic (Davis and MKG) you can most definitely win it all with freshman leading your team. I don't think it was a fluke at all. I mean, did you really think Demarcus Cousins and John Wall could do it? I didn't . . . Cousins is a pain in the butt and Wall STILL has no idea how to play the point guard position.

I believe Jabari is one of those Anthony Davis type guys who can make everyone on your team better. 2013-14 will be, on paper, one of Duke's best chances in awhile to win a championship in awhile. (2010 notwithstanding, considering no one really thought we could win it all that year) Therefore, I think we need to capitalize on the opportunity by getting a guy like Jabari to carry us to the promised land. Duke's 2013-14 squad is really a roster of talented role players. I mean, really, who is going to be the go to guy on that team who can be counted on to go get a bucket or make a play when we absolutely need it? A sophomore Rasheed? Quinn? Sorry, I'll take a versatile, do-it-all talent like Jabari Parker in that situation over anyone on our roster. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we can win a championship in 2013-14 without Jabari.

I mean, how can you say "he's not even close" to one of our most important recruits ever? Give me some names. I'll go ahead and say Johnny Dawkins was by far the most important Duke recruit ever, but who else? Coach K isn't going to be around much longer. The window is closing. We need to to get these guys now. Jabari is as important as any recruit we've had since JD.
    Last edited by licc85; 10-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Well, I actually think we should win the November game against UK. We're a team with 3 senior starters playing against a team missing its top 4 or 5 scorers from last year and like 1 game of experience playing together against Div-I competition. Honestly, I would be embarrassed to lose that game, even against such a talented roster. If we played the same team in February, I'd be much more worried.

I'm as prone to hyperbole as the next guy, and I'll admit it usually when I go overboard, but I'm still holding steady on my position that Jabari is a crucial recruit for us. Duke needs to prove that it can compete year in an year out with Calipari in recruiting. We've been consistently getting at least one top guy each year, which is good, but UK is getting like 2 or 3 of these guys every year. Say what you will about 1 and dones, but UK proved last year that if you get the right guys with good character and work ethic (Davis and MKG) you can most definitely win it all with freshman leading your team. I don't think it was a fluke at all. I mean, did you really think Demarcus Cousins and John Wall could do it? I didn't . . . Cousins is a pain in the butt and Wall STILL has no idea how to play the point guard position.

I believe Jabari is one of those Anthony Davis type guys who can make everyone on your team better. 2013-14 will be, on paper, one of Duke's best chances in awhile to win a championship in awhile. (2010 notwithstanding, considering no one really thought we could win it all that year) Therefore, I think we need to capitalize on the opportunity by getting a guy like Jabari to carry us to the promised land. Duke's 2013-14 squad is really a roster of talented role players. I mean, really, who is going to be the go to guy on that team who can be counted on to go get a bucket or make a play when we absolutely need it? A sophomore Rasheed? Quinn? Sorry, I'll take a versatile, do-it-all talent like Jabari Parker in that situation over anyone on our roster. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we can win a championship in 2013-14 without Jabari.

I mean, how can you say "he's not even close" to one of our most important recruits ever? Give me some names. I'll go ahead and say Johnny Dawkins was by far the most important Duke recruit ever, but who else? Coach K isn't going to be around much longer. The window is closing. We need to to get these guys now. Jabari is as important as any recruit we've had since JD.
    In a away, licc, I feel sorry for you. Your standard for what defines success is so high that it must be hard for you to enjoy watching us play and watching the team develop over the course of an entire season. Whether it's Jabari or another recruit or none at all, Duke will still enjoy a privileged position as a highly ranked team and will do well. To imply that one recruit is so drastically important to a program (especially one that is already one of the most storied and successful in college hoops history) just seems like a pointless exercise. I mean, I'm sure he's really good. But is that really the only way we have any chance of competing for a national championship? Cal admittedly has an impressive thing going there but let's not just hand over the next 5 NC's. There are no guarantees. And maybe it's worth reflecting on your statement that we ONLY get one top guy each year... first, depends on your definition of "top"... second, why is that not impressive to you? How many programs out there would kill for one "top" recruit every five years? And why do you assume we are running out of time? Will it hurt when K eventually leaves? Of course. But it doesn't mean the program dies. It just means a new chapter will have to be written. Take a breath and enjoy what we have, man. It's damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    In a away, licc, I feel sorry for you. Your standard for what defines success is so high that it must be hard for you to enjoy watching us play and watching the team develop over the course of an entire season. Whether it's Jabari or another recruit or none at all, Duke will still enjoy a privileged position as a highly ranked team and will do well. To imply that one recruit is so drastically important to a program (especially one that is already one of the most storied and successful in college hoops history) just seems like a pointless exercise. I mean, I'm sure he's really good. But is that really the only way we have any chance of competing for a national championship? Cal admittedly has an impressive thing going there but let's not just hand over the next 5 NC's. There are no guarantees. And maybe it's worth reflecting on your statement that we ONLY get one top guy each year... first, depends on your definition of "top"... second, why is that not impressive to you? How many programs out there would kill for one "top" recruit every five years? And why do you assume we are running out of time? Will it hurt when K eventually leaves? Of course. But it doesn't mean the program dies. It just means a new chapter will have to be written. Take a breath and enjoy what we have, man. It's damn good.
    Um . . okay . . . you don't know me. I'm a bit offended that you would presume to know what I enjoy or don't enjoy. Of course I love Duke basketball and I watch every game and support the team win or lose. I love watching the team develop every year. That doesn't mean I don't have high expectations. You think Coach K sits back each year and says, "You know what? I'm okay with just being highly ranked and doing well." If you aren't hoping for the absolute best for the program and hoping for national championships every year, then I'd say you aren't a real fan. I'm not expecting national championships every year . . . in fact, I think just reaching the final four this year would be overachieving, and would be an incredible accomplishment. What I AM saying, is next year is going to be an amazing opportunity to have one of our most talented teams ever, and acting like it doesn't matter if we get the best player in the whole class or not is just ridiculous.

What I AM saying, is next year is going to be an amazing opportunity to have one of our most talented teams ever, and acting like it doesn't matter if we get the best player in the whole class or not is just ridiculous.
    And, to me, it seems what you're saying is that if we got Wall, Barnes, et al we would have an amazing opportunity to have one of our most talented teams ever in those years. We barely missed getting those guys. Wall, for example, would have given us a tremendous team and a legit national title shot...

...Except we won the national title anyway.

I don't think anyone is trying to attack you personally, so please don't take it that way. It's just that around these parts we hear these sort of grandiose claims about how important Recruit X or Recruit Y is to our program, yet our program is always sensational.

The claims just don't hold water.

We'd all love to get Jabari. All of us. Everyone on this board, everyone on every other board, everyone not on a board, every animal with four legs, every organism capable of comprehension. He's an excellent player and seems the equal as a person.

But we'll be in the mix either way, with him or without him.

I expect us to be in the mix this year as well.

Such is life as a Duke fan. Such is life with Coach K. It's an embarrassment of riches.

We just tire of the perennial "most important recruit to program" stance. I apologize if that seems offensive. I don't apologize for my disagreement.

- Chillin
    Last edited by ChillinDuke; 10-09-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Um . . okay . . . you don't know me. I'm a bit offended that you would presume to know what I enjoy or don't enjoy. Of course I love Duke basketball and I watch every game and support the team win or lose. I love watching the team develop every year. That doesn't mean I don't have high expectations. You think Coach K sits back each year and says, "You know what? I'm okay with just being highly ranked and doing well." If you aren't hoping for the absolute best for the program and hoping for national championships every year, then I'd say you aren't a real fan. I'm not expecting national championships every year . . . in fact, I think just reaching the final four this year would be overachieving, and would be an incredible accomplishment. What I AM saying, is next year is going to be an amazing opportunity to have one of our most talented teams ever, and acting like it doesn't matter if we get the best player in the whole class or not is just ridiculous.
    Obviously great recruiting matters, and I'm with you that complacency is the worst thing that could happen to Duke. Having said that, the "sky is falling" approach to recruiting isn't the answer either. Look how important Barnes was considered before he set foot on campus. My point being that there's no way to accurately judge how important a recruit is until after he does or doesn't go to Duke and actually play some games. The most important recruits were probably the guys we missed on in the mid-2000s, or the guys we got who took us to championships. In either case, no one guy is going to make or break Duke during his senior year of high school.

Art Heyman, Gene Banks, Johnny Dawkins and Danny Ferry were extraordinarily important recruits for Duke at the time of their recruitment for a variety of basketball and contextual reasons.

All turned out to be very successful and all stayed four years, three more than we are likely to see from Jabari Parker.

Don't get me wrong. Parker is an important recruit, a priority recruit. But so were lots of other players. You don't get to 4th on the all-time wins list by finding guys at intramurals.

It wasn't very long ago -- like a couple of weeks -- that a good faith and legitimate debate took place on these boards as to who the more important recruit was this year -- Parker or Julius Randle. And just in the last few years, we've had a number of guys who have seemed at the time like critical, must-have recruits, for different reasons. And when we missed on them -- and we had been thought by insiders to be in good-to-excellent position with each of them -- there were many who thought the sky was falling. I'm talking about guys like Patrick Patterson, Greg Monroe, John Wall, Kenny Boynton, Harrison Barnes, Brandon Knight, Mitch McGary, Shabazz Muhammad, and Tony Parker.

The sky hasn't fallen.

Getting Jabari would be great, but it would really only elevate us from a likely top 5-10 team to a top 2-3 team, for one year. When your "backup" plan at the 3/4 is RS-SO Alex Murphy, RS-SO Rodney Hood, SO Amile Jefferson, FR Semi Ojeleye and SR Josh Hairston, the drop-off isn't all that scary. We'll be fine either way, which is certainly more than we thought when recruiting Wall, Barnes, etc.

That said, 2014 would be an extremely fun season if he came here.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Look how important Barnes was considered before he set foot on campus.
    Last year, we got booted in the first round of the NCAA tournament, and the biggest weakness of the team was a lack of a big, athletic perimeter player with length who could defend opposing wings. I don't think we get beat in the first round with Harrison Barnes on our team. Also, if he's on that 2011 squad, that might have been the greatest Duke team ever and we might have repeated, even with Kyrie out. People can talk crap about Barnes all they want, and I'm surely no fan of his, but the fact remains that he was a really effective player in college who could defend and hit 3s. We really missed out when he decided not to come to Duke, even if he wasn't all he was hyped to be.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Sorry Mountain, but just because lightening struck someplace once doesn't mean you should expect it to hit there again, or to plan your recruiting around it. I don't hink anyone is seriously saying it is a binary, "If we get JP we win a Natty, but if we don't get him we won't." Frankly, ANY time you win the NC then you've beaten the odds for that season. Nobody probably enters a season with as much as 10% odds of winning it all - think in terms of "any one team versus the field." BUT, if a superstar player can improve your odds from 5% to 10%, then that is significant, as in "doubling your chances." Not saying that is the case, necessarily, for Jabari, but from all accounts he is a huge talent who WOULD significantly impact our chances (but we'd still have a shot even if we missed on him, like we did in 2010, after we missed out on Patrick Patterson, John Wall, and a few other recruits in the preceding years). But our odds would be better WITH him.
    Actually, that's exactly what some posters on here are saying and stating that Parker is the most important recruit ever. My post was acknowledging that our 2010 champ was unexpected and that's part of what made is special. But the fact that this "random" occurrence was just two seasons ago, and the fact that "superstar factory" Kentucky has won only one NCAA title in recent memory doesn't suggest that a one-and-one player of this caliber is "required" for championships.

But let's look at what happened with our last two "must have recruits." Prior to our 2010 Championship, the yammering heads were saying the game had passed by Coach K and he couldn't compete in the new landscape of one-and-dones. Then, he wins an unlikely championship and proceeds to get one of the top one-and-done kids the next two years in a row. Irving was be all accounts a very talented, stand-up citizen who might very well have helped us to a repeat trophy had he not gotten hurt. Rivers was an extraordinary talent who clearly seemed to at the very least ruffle some feathers on the veteran leads of the team. Both were top-notch, "can't miss' recruits who I have no doubt were considered the "most important ever" by some posters on this board, and neither brought us a title.

I'm not suggesting that they could, I'm just trying to talk some people down off the ledge who are getting a bit too wrapped up in this instant-analysis, every-player-is-better-than-the-last, strange media hype that this poor kid has around him.

Just for a bit of perspective, do you remember who was considered the "most important recruit ever" about ten years ago? Even some pretty high profile folks got involved...

Time offers us the luxury of perspective on these things, and sure, I'd love to have Parker. I'm just not going to toss away the 2013-14 season as a loss before it starts if he goes to Florida.

/bring on Parker!
    //Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate, but Scheyer was an All American (Second Team, 2010). As was Nolan Smith (First Team, 2011). I agree with you that we've got a good team lined up, though. But I also agree that we'd be better with Jabari Parker.
    Yes, and I loved both of them, but neither were "one and done MUST HAVE recruits." My point precisely - our system is not dependent on these players, but rather compliments them.

Last year, we got booted in the first round of the NCAA tournament, and the biggest weakness of the team was a lack of a big, athletic perimeter player with length who could defend opposing wings. I don't think we get beat in the first round with Harrison Barnes on our team. Also, if he's on that 2011 squad, that might have been the greatest Duke team ever and we might have repeated, even with Kyrie out. People can talk crap about Barnes all they want, and I'm surely no fan of his, but the fact remains that he was a really effective player in college who could defend and hit 3s. We really missed out when he decided not to come to Duke, even if he wasn't all he was hyped to be.
    The 2011 squad was clearly one of the best teams in the nation that year and a legitimate threat to repeat, with or without Harrison Barnes. We got steam-rolled by an incredible 20-minute performance by Arizona that probably would have beated us with WITH Barnes. Remember how UNC lost in the tournament last year, with Barnes right there on the floor? The 2011 tournament ended up being won by a UConn team that was 5th (count it out, FIFTH) in its own freaking conference, for crying out loud. They had no business winning, and the 2011 Duke team could probably have taken them 2 out of 3 times.

That's the ridiculous thing about this line of thinking. "If only we had Parker, or Randle, or <insert other name here> we'd for sure win it all!" or, its converse, "If we don't get Parker, or Randle, or <insert other name here> we have no chance to win it all!" are both ludicrous, because the outcome of the tournament isn't predictable. The team with the best players doesn't always win. Certainly, the more good players we have, the more LIKELY we are to win it all, but the outcome isn't predicated strictly on talent levels; there is a lot of luck and randomness that goes into the tournament.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The 2011 tournament ended up being won by a UConn team that was 5th (count it out, FIFTH) in its own freaking conference, for crying out loud.
    Actually, the 2011 UConn team was tied for 9th, 10th, & 11th in the Big East. If they were as high as 5th, the title would have made more sense...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You don't get to 4th on the all-time wins list by finding guys at intramurals.
    Sorry, who's 4th on the all-time wins list?

And let's not forget that Darrell Armstrong parlayed some strong intramural performances into a 14-year NBA career.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Sorry, who's 4th on the all-time wins list?
    Duke is 4th on the all-time wins list.

Biggest weakness

Certainly, not having a big agile wing player was a weakness last year. We also had another significant weakness in that we had 3 small guards that had trouble stopping penetration and could be shot over by bigger guards. This year we will have the bigger wing player, but we still have the three smaller guards who may have trouble stopping penetration and stopping big guards. I will be interested to see how coach K handles the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Certainly, not having a big agile wing player was a weakness last year. We also had another significant weakness in that we had 3 small guards that had trouble stopping penetration and could be shot over by bigger guards. This year we will have the bigger wing player, but we still have the three smaller guards who may have trouble stopping penetration and stopping big guards. I will be interested to see how coach K handles the lineup.
    As creative and pure a scorer as Austin was for us last year -- the Carolina game, I mean my God, the Carolina game, that was like the excitement of 10 Christmases and a bottle of tequila packed into two hours -- his replacement, if you will, Rasheed Sulaimon, is going to be that guard that you speak of on the perimeter stopping penetration. And the reason that I am not losing any sleep over Rivers' departure. Rasheed's not exactly Seth Curry small, either. He stands at 6'4 and has elite quickness and the versatility to hold his own against any position in the backcourt defensively. It will just be a matter of finding a lineup that will allow for Rasheed to earn considerable time on the floor, as it would appear that he will be chiefly competing with Curry for burn, at least in terms of how the early lineup appears on paper.

I am confident that Coach K will devise a lineup that work to utilize our biggest assets as well as possible, and the arrival of Rasheed not only as a potent scorer on the wing, but more importantly as our best defensive guard since Nolan, is one of them. He will need to be on the court. Period. Quinn, Seth and Tyler, who is certainly no slouch defensively and probably our most tenacious on-ball defender a year ago, are, as you say, just too small and not versatile enough to stop elite guards from making their way to the basket. In an effort to combat this, any chance that Rasheed plays signicant time at the point? I heard rumblings of this in the spring, but not much since. He's a solid ball handler, crafty passer and excellent at creating his shot on the perimeter. Could it work?

Chronicle article on Jabari Parker's official visit this coming weekend. He'll take official visit to Florida, Stanford and BYU after the Duke visit, but wont sign in the early period.

Any chance he makes a decision before Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Any chance he makes a decision before Christmas?
    Why would he? He has made the decision not to sign early. What would be the advantage for him to make an early-ish decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Why would he? He has made the decision not to sign early. What would be the advantage for him to make an early-ish decision?
    Two points - First, he wont be coming off the bench anywhere because he's too good, so current rosters do not matter with guys who may/may not declare for the draft. That means he can pick the right fit. He could find that fit by the end of these four official visits. Second, his list of schools does not appear to be similar to the lists of kids who drag out their recruitment into the spring, waiting to jump on a team with title hopes/playing time/other accomodations for elite recruits. This kid is definitely different, but his recruitment feels like that of someone who would sift through info, verify his hunches then roll with his decision without a lot of fanfare.

Is there any correlation between taking all four of your officials in a row and making a decision shortly thereafter?