Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Interesting. So KY appear out of the J. Parker sweepstakes. Kinda funny to see their fans' comments at the bottom - "we never really wanted him anyhow..."
    and..."our other recruits are better."

Out of curiosity, given Duke's interior needs coming up, does anyone know why we are not in play for (Scout-rated) no. 1 Center from 2013, Kennedy Meeks from Charlotte? He's 6'9" and 260+ lbs. Seems like we'd want in on a kid so close to home. He just had a supposedly great in-home with NC, and the KY fans really seem to think that he's theirs for the taking. His schools include: KY, NC@ch and Ohio State. Are we still actively after other big-time C's this year, such as Lee from CA?
    The word around here is that Austin Nichols is the main 2013 big-man target at this time. [For 2014 it's Jahlil Okafor.]

Apparently between us and Vandy for Nichols. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    The word around here is that Austin Nichols is the main 2013 big-man target at this time. [For 2014 it's Jahlil Okafor.]

Apparently between us and Vandy for Nichols. Please correct me if I'm wrong. - Chillin

And of course Mr. Randle as well, although there's been more hubbub surrounding Kentucky, at least recently, in terms of his recruitment. Long way to go in that one, though.

I'm pretty sure Tennessee is also strong with Austin Nichols due to Robert Hubbs committing to them recently and Austin's sister's affiliation.

Just my take from reading and watching some videos, but seems like Jabari Parker as a freshman would be somewhat similar to, and perhaps not as good as, Rodney Hood.

With versatile players for the 2013-14 roster like redshirt sophomore Alex Murphy, 2nd year player Amile Jefferson, and an experienced transfer in Hood, how much do we need a possible one-and-done like Parker in that same size range?

Jabari Parker is a sensational talent. He starts anywhere he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Just my take from reading and watching some videos, but seems like Jabari Parker as a freshman would be somewhat similar to, and perhaps not as good as, Rodney Hood.

With versatile players for the 2013-14 roster like redshirt sophomore Alex Murphy, 2nd year player Amile Jefferson, and an experienced transfer in Hood, how much do we need a possible one-and-done like Parker in that same size range?
    Perhaps in the same way that a team that had Brian Davis, Thomas Hill, and Antonio Lang, found a way to use Grant Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Jabari Parker is a sensational talent. He starts anywhere he goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    Perhaps in the same way that a team that had Brian Davis, Thomas Hill, and Antonio Lang, found a way to use Grant Hill.
    You make good points. A very talented, versatile player is an asset.

I'm just not hanging on the Jabari Parker recruitment...lots of schools involved, probably a one year player, and there are other talented players in the same size range.

Austin Nichols IMO is a more important, and desirable recruit.

The thing about Parker is that, like Randle, he would play PF if he came to Duke, for all intents and purposes (read: defense and rebounding), which he has indicated he'd has no problem doing.

So, it's not like he'd really be competing with Murphy/Hood/Sulaimon for those wing minutes as much as Jefferson/Hairston for PF minutes, in all likelihood. And as loaded as we'll be that year, I'm not sure if we have a classic, #1 scoring option just yet.

I'm just not hanging on the Jabari Parker recruitment...lots of schools involved, probably a one year player, and there are other talented players in the same size range.

Austin Nichols IMO is a more important, and desirable recruit.
    I love ya Roy, but I can assure you that K does not share your opinion... at least from what I hear.

And, I might add, you are sorta dissing a kid who was on the freaking cover of SI while still in high school?!?! I want Austin Nichols a great deal and think his skills are a very nice fit for what Duke needs, but Parker is a legend in the making. He is that good.

-Jason "yup, he's that good" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

Apparently between us and Vandy for Nichols. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Chillin
    UT is in the thick of things for Nichols too.

Quote Originally Posted by thenameisbond View Post
    UT is in the thick of things for Nichols too.
    Depending on who you believe, Nichols is favoring Duke and Vandy, Duke and UT, Duke, Vandy and UT; Duke, Vandy and Virginia; Duke, UT and Virginia or Duke and a player-to-be-named later.

You'll notice the constant.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Depending on who you believe, Nichols is favoring Duke and Vandy, Duke and UT, Duke, Vandy and UT; Duke, Vandy and Virginia; Duke, UT and Virginia or Duke and a player-to-be-named later.

That when you discuss "Austin" being a Blue Devil people remind you that he already graduated?

Oh, you mean Duke. Never mind.

Graduated?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    That when you discuss "Austin" being a Blue Devil people remind you that he already graduated?

Oh, you mean Duke. Never mind.
    I'm sure there have been plenty of Austins that have graduated from Duke, but if we're thinking of the same one of MBB note (Rivers), he certainly didn't graduate. Not unless he took some summer classes at UNC that somehow counted toward the Duke degree.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I'm sure there have been plenty of Austins that have graduated from Duke, but if we're thinking of the same one of MBB note (Rivers), he certainly didn't graduate. Not unless he took some summer classes at UNC that somehow counted toward the Duke degree.
    Sorry, of course I meant "went to the NBA." I forget at times that everyone who leaves isn't necessarily a graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

He'll get to watch Duke and Virginia next weekend when he's in town. Hopefully, he'll see Duke Football going to 5-1 for the first time in?

Nothing breaking but Jabari is officially down to 5...Duke, Mich St, Stanford, Florida, and BYU.
    Put me in the group who sees it as a two horse race between us and Sparty

Dawk!

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Nothing breaking but Jabari is officially down to 5...Duke, Mich St, Stanford, Florida, and BYU.
    Put me in the group who sees it as a two horse race between us and Sparty
    its a credit to dawkins for Stanford to be in that list

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I love ya Roy, but I can assure you that K does not share your opinion... at least from what I hear.

And, I might add, you are sorta dissing a kid who was on the freaking cover of SI while still in high school?!?! I want Austin Nichols a great deal and think his skills are a very nice fit for what Duke needs, but Parker is a legend in the making. He is that good.

-Jason "yup, he's that good" Evans

Just sayin'. But, I agree with you and almost everyone here. I want Jabari Parker. From all accounts, he is definitely that good. And I have no doubt that he has the talent to make an enormous splash on the college level, even if just for a year. A legend in the making he may or may not be, but that's impossible to know this early on -- Dujaun Wagner once scored 100 points in a high school game and was anointed the next Iverson; he went missing in Poland in 2006 and no one, to my knowledge, has seen him since.

I hope Duke gets him. If we don't. Well, we've won championships the year after losing out on must-have, phenom players before (i.e. John Wall 2009), so I won't kill myself. It will be a letdown, though, no doubt.

Bassie was better as a soph in high school than he was as a senior. His hype was rapidly fading throughout his career. Heck, few even had him as a top 5 recruit by the time he graduated and went to the NBA.

That said, it is not like he has been a horrible bust in the NBA. He has been a starter a good bit over the course of his career and a valuable contributor throughout his now 9 year old career in The League. He hasn't been a legend, that is for sure, but everyone knew he would not be by this time during his senior season in high school.

Parker, both in attitude and in career arc, appears to be a very different story.

-Jason "all that said, Duke would eagerly welcome a kid with Bassie's talents (though not his head) to the team next year!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Bassie was better as a soph in high school than he was as a senior. His hype was rapidly fading throughout his career. Heck, few even had him as a top 5 recruit by the time he graduated and went to the NBA.
    Well, as a senior he was #6 in the RSCI, so he was pretty close to a top 5 recruit. I'm not sure at the time it was as cut and dried as you've made it out to be.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the gold standard of overhyped high schoolers.

1128_large.jpg