Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I just finished watching Simeon defeat Miller Grove 59-56 on ESPN3. While both Parkers were impressive, Jabari Parker was really impressive. He is great in transition, can knock down the 3-pointer, play defense inside and on the perimeter, deliver assists, help break the press and so on and so on. I was impressed to say the least! At halftime, commentator Adrian Branch stated that Jabari had Grant Hill's aproach to playing the game, Dennis Scott's shooting form and Carmelo Anthony's body. That is some high praise.
    Saw a good part of the game (switching back and forth to Saints/Lions) and was overall impressed with Jabari Parker.

My quick impessions---he seems to be a legit 6'8" and I've read he's still growing. Very good athlete, but not a freak type athlete; versatile and smart. He can shoot from long range, score near the basket with finesse, handle well, and pass well. Not sure what the final numbers were, but his shooting percentage dropped off after a quick start; he was 6-17 at one point. He tended to drift outside and Simeon didn't seem to look for him as much as they might. Comparing his game to others? Some Grant Hill, maybe some Carmelo Anthony.

The announcer and analysts just raved about what a quality young man he is...very hard worker, good student, very good grasp of the game, keeps adding facets to his game (he had a very nice floater from about 8 to 10 feet that you rarely see from a guy his size). One announcer also mentioned that while Jabari has excellent pro potential, some wouldn't be surprised to see him spend more than one year in college, a la Harrison Barnes or Jared Sullinger.

Has a list of 10(!) schools that includes Duke. Some thought that he would prefer to stay in Chicago area for family and friends, but nothing definite.

Just my .02, but from his play and comments about him, Jabari seems to be a guy who could develop a very strong relationship with Coach K. Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Sign him up! Promise him anything that the NCAA and Coach K's conscience will allow. (Oh, well, that does limit what we can offer!). Show our game tapes, and show him that we have no real small forward (or wing) so that he can see what a big opening there is for him.
    Just not anything Coach Cal might be willing to offer please.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Just not anything Coach Cal might be willing to offer please.
    I absolutely agree!

The biggest difference I see is that Ky is a NBA prep school and Duke is an institution that develops more in a young man than athletics especially from teachers like our head basketball coach. One blown out knee at Ky and your probably taught how to correctly ask if your customer would like fries with his order. Duke make leader's. Leaders on the court (our current challenge) and just as important, leaders in our society. That's just my take for what it's worth. I'm proud of Duke! Go Devils!

Next Play

I guess we should start plugging away at this thread now. I recall Nerlens was ranked behind Jabari when he was a part of the 2013 class. Now he's ahead of Bazz in 2012. Says a lot about Jabari with respect to his stature among these elite talents. Bazz can now pass the baton off to Jabari as the blue chip crush du jour.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I guess we should start plugging away at this thread now. I recall Nerlens was ranked behind Jabari when he was a part of the 2013 class. Now he's ahead of Bazz in 2012. Says a lot about Jabari with respect to his stature among these elite talents. Bazz can now pass the baton off to Jabari as the blue chip crush du jour.
    Yup. Jabari has always been the bigger fish to K, from what I've heard, although Bazz is a great player. I also think Jabari would fill more of a need in the 2014 team (and perhaps be a better all-around fit) than Shabazz would next year, given that we already have like 17 players competing for wing spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Yup. Jabari has always been the bigger fish to K, from what I've heard, although Bazz is a great player. I also think Jabari would fill more of a need in the 2014 team (and perhaps be a better all-around fit) than Shabazz would next year, given that we already have like 17 players competing for wing spots.
    I'm not sure I see your logic here. We will be very crowded at the SF spot in 2014 as well with Murphy and Gbinije being even a year older and Matt Jones replacing Dawkins. Parker seems to be just as big a target as Muhammad, and would fill the exact same role. I'd even say that we'll have even less of a need for a SF in 2014 than in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not sure I see your logic here. We will be very crowded at the SF spot in 2014 as well with Murphy and Gbinije being even a year older and Matt Jones replacing Dawkins. Parker seems to be just as big a target as Muhammad, and would fill the exact same role. I'd even say that we'll have even less of a need for a SF in 2014 than in 2013.
    Yes but, Kelly will have graduated and we will need another PF other than just Josh and I expect many PF mins to go to Alex which mean MG is the only SF.

My take is that Muhammad is a 2/3, and that already have 5-6 quality players competing for those two spots this year (depending if Thornton is ever off the ball). No All-Americans, but certainly not a position of need. Parker, OTOH, is a 3/4, and we'll only have 3-4 players competing for those positions in 2014 (depending on whether or not Amile commits), and our only PF currently on board for that year is Hairston, who I'm not entirely convinced has the upside to be more than a sixth man in an ideal scenario.

I know Jabari is an NBA three, but it seems like it'd be in everybody's best interests for him to play the Deng/Battier PF position at Duke... which he could likely step right in and do.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    My take is that Muhammad is a 2/3, and that already have 5-6 quality players competing for those two spots this year (depending if Thornton is ever off the ball). No All-Americans, but certainly not a position of need. Parker, OTOH, is a 3/4, and we'll only have 3-4 players competing for those positions in 2014 (depending on whether or not Amile commits), and our only PF currently on board for that year is Hairston, who I'm not entirely convinced has the upside to be more than a sixth man in an ideal scenario.

I know Jabari is an NBA three, but it seems like it'd be in everybody's best interests for him to play the Deng/Battier PF position at Duke... which he could likely step right in and do.
    Both Muhammad and Parker are college 3s. At 6'7", I wouldn't want Parker to be primarily a PF any more than I want Murphy or Muhammad to be a SG.

Most important recruit since J Will?

Talent-wise, it sounds like both Bazz and Parker are total studs and impact players, regardless of position. With Bazz, though, if we didn't get him after UCLA took Larry Drew, had a disastrous year with empty stands, had Josh Smith play fat and disinterested, had the SI article, which, while not totally scandalous certainly didn't make Howland sound like a great leader or a likable guy, and a history of playing slow even with Westbrook, then we just weren't going to get him. Not suggesting that Bazz was insincere or played K, but he was probably leaning heavily to UCLA from the start.

By contrast, Parker has been said to be a Duke lean from the start. He's from K's old home turf in Chicago. He could bring some buzz back to Duke and may help us with Randle, too.

Could he be our most important recruit since J Will? Kyrie could have been up there had he not gotten injured. If we miss on Parker, there's no hiding that it will be a major blow from a talent and a perception standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Could he be our most important recruit since J Will?
    At the time we recruited JWill, I didn't really think of him as a "must-get" because no one expected Avery to leave after one year. But it retrospect I get what you're saying, he was critical to our team's success and gave us the electric point guard we hadn't had in a while as well as a title.

I like what I'm hearing about J. Parker. Hard to know how critical he'll be at this point; if Murphy blows up this year then maybe we won't feel like we absolutely have to have him. Obviously we wouldn't turn down his talent, but I think there's a difference between a must-get and a would-like-to-get. I don't see why a 6'7 guy with a developed physique couldn't play the 4 in our system, plus he's got another year to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    At the time we recruited JWill, I didn't really think of him as a "must-get" because no one expected Avery to leave after one year. But it retrospect I get what you're saying, he was critical to our team's success and gave us the electric point guard we hadn't had in a while as well as a title.

I like what I'm hearing about J. Parker. Hard to know how critical he'll be at this point; if Murphy blows up this year then maybe we won't feel like we absolutely have to have him. Obviously we wouldn't turn down his talent, but I think there's a difference between a must-get and a would-like-to-get. I don't see why a 6'7 guy couldn't play the 4 in our system, plus he's got another year to grow.
    Yeah, it is just hard to tell what will be a "must get." It may be that Cook and Thornton aren't ever able to make the jump and we really need a PG above all else. It could be that Hairston and Marshall aren't ready to be big-time post players and we need a big man more than anything else. It is possible that we really need an athletic PF. It is doubtful that we'll need a SG with Sulaimon and Jones, but we'll see. And maybe Gbinije and Murphy develop such that SF isn't a need position.

It's just hard to say what we'll need most a year from now. My guess is that we'll be strongest at SG and SF, but that's purely a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    At the time we recruited JWill, I didn't really think of him as a "must-get" because no one expected Avery to leave after one year.
    Avery left after his sophomore year.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Talent-wise, it sounds like both Bazz and Parker are total studs and impact players, regardless of position. With Bazz, though, if we didn't get him after UCLA took Larry Drew, had a disastrous year with empty stands, had Josh Smith play fat and disinterested, had the SI article, which, while not totally scandalous certainly didn't make Howland sound like a great leader or a likable guy, and a history of playing slow even with Westbrook, then we just weren't going to get him. Not suggesting that Bazz was insincere or played K, but he was probably leaning heavily to UCLA from the start.

By contrast, Parker has been said to be a Duke lean from the start. He's from K's old home turf in Chicago. He could bring some buzz back to Duke and may help us with Randle, too.

Could he be our most important recruit since J Will? Kyrie could have been up there had he not gotten injured. If we miss on Parker, there's no hiding that it will be a major blow from a talent and a perception standpoint.
    Is a one-and-done recruit, any one, the most important to our program?

Austin Rivers helped the team this past year, but was he as important to Duke basketball as Jon Scheyer?

Yeah, it is just hard to tell what will be a "must get." It may be that Cook and Thornton aren't ever able to make the jump and we really need a PG above all else. It could be that Hairston and Marshall aren't ready to be big-time post players and we need a big man more than anything else. It is possible that we really need an athletic PF. It is doubtful that we'll need a SG with Sulaimon and Jones, but we'll see. And maybe Gbinije and Murphy develop such that SF isn't a need position.

It's just hard to say what we'll need most a year from now. My guess is that we'll be strongest at SG and SF, but that's purely a guess.
    A fair point, but it seems likely that Duke will need post players even if Hairston and Marshall are ready, for depth if nothing else.

Player of the Year

"Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Is a one-and-done recruit, any one, the most important to our program?

Austin Rivers helped the team this past year, but was he as important to Duke basketball as Jon Scheyer?
    Most important to the program? No. More important to Duke's success last year than Scheyer was in years one through three? Probably. Scheyer was an All American his senior year and runner up for ACC player of the year. If Austin had been either of those things, I'd argue that he would have been more important to the team than some of the upperclassman. I just think it's tough to say a one and done isn't as important as a four year player when the four year guy's best season is better than the one and done's only season. What if it were something like Dunleavy v. Brand, where one had a higher peak, but the other was there for longer? I'm not sure if I'd give Dunleavy the nod as more important just because he stayed longer.

Having said that, if Parker can come in and play at an AA level, like Kyrie would have been without getting hurt, then I can see him or any other one and done being the most important player to the program on that year's team. Weren't Kyrie, Austin, Deng, and Maggette all the most important recruits to the program from their respective classes? Neither of them were more important than Singler, Hill, Battier, etc., but I think their contributions during their relatively short time on campus were more important to the Duke program than the contributions of many good players over the course of their entire four year careers. I'm not saying we should indiscriminately recruit one and dones, but if a guy is talented enough to be one and done and has the character to fit into the Duke family, then I support Coach K going after him and don't think it's hyperbole to say that he is the most important recruit in his class for the Duke program.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Having said that, if Parker can come in and play at an AA level, like Kyrie would have been without getting hurt, then I can see him or any other one and done being the most important player to the program on that year's team.
    I think you are talking apples and oranges. Sure, a one-and-done could be the best player on the team, but that's very different than "could he be our most important recruit since J Will?" The latter implies an importance to the program over time, as opposed to just helping the team win in one particular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think you are talking apples and oranges. Sure, a one-and-done could be the best player on the team, but that's very different than "could he be our most important recruit since J Will?" The latter implies an importance to the program over time, as opposed to just helping the team win in one particular season.
    Jwil himself would not have been such an important recruit if he left after one year. If a Jwil twin existed today, maybe he'd also stay for 3 years, but I kind of doubt it.