Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Most important to the program? No. More important to Duke's success last year than Scheyer was in years one through three? Probably. Scheyer was an All American his senior year and runner up for ACC player of the year. If Austin had been either of those things, I'd argue that he would have been more important to the team than some of the upperclassman. I just think it's tough to say a one and done isn't as important as a four year player when the four year guy's best season is better than the one and done's only season. What if it were something like Dunleavy v. Brand, where one had a higher peak, but the other was there for longer? I'm not sure if I'd give Dunleavy the nod as more important just because he stayed longer.

Having said that, if Parker can come in and play at an AA level, like Kyrie would have been without getting hurt, then I can see him or any other one and done being the most important player to the program on that year's team. Weren't Kyrie, Austin, Deng, and Maggette all the most important recruits to the program from their respective classes? Neither of them were more important than Singler, Hill, Battier, etc., but I think their contributions during their relatively short time on campus were more important to the Duke program than the contributions of many good players over the course of their entire four year careers. I'm not saying we should indiscriminately recruit one and dones, but if a guy is talented enough to be one and done and has the character to fit into the Duke family, then I support Coach K going after him and don't think it's hyperbole to say that he is the most important recruit in his class for the Duke program.
    There are other off the court considerations as well. Irving is likely to have a longer term impact on Duke's team/recruiting then say Scheyer because he is A) likely to be an nba all-star and B) is such a dynamic personality. With Irving coming back each summer to work on his degree, he will be around the current players and at certain points potential recruits. His presence can not only impact recruits but since he will also be working out, can lead to improvement of the current players. Similarly Smith (even though less successful in the nba) is the kind of player that will be helping Duke out for years to come even though he has graduated. Some players are like magnets and will help attract other high quality players. I don't know if Parker is that kind of personality but if his game is as good as advertised, it may also lead to others following his footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think you are talking apples and oranges. Sure, a one-and-done could be the best player on the team, but that's very different than "could he be our most important recruit since J Will?" The latter implies an importance to the program over time, as opposed to just helping the team win in one particular season.
    I wasn't trying to imply that a one and done can be our most important recruit since anyone else, so I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. No projected one and done is ever going to be as important to the program as J Will, but it would be just as incorrect to say that a projected three to four year player is going to be our most important recruit since J Will.

Instead, I was trying to make the point that a recruit's importance to the program should be measured relative to the alternatives. I don't see the choice as between Parker and Williams, but as between Parker and other potential 2012-2014 recruits. Essentially, is Duke as a program going to be better off with a year of Parker and whoever we'd have for the next two-three years than it would be with a lesser ranked 2013 recruit for four years? If we'll be better with Parker than he alternative, then I'd argue that Parker is more important. There are certainly other measures of importance to the program than on court success, as yancem pointed out, and three to four year players will have an advantage in that aspect, but on court success is very important as well.

Most recent "important" recruit to me was Kyrie because people were saying Coach was slipping as a recruiter and this and that. Then next thing you know coach K bagged the number 1 recruit and Kyrie was a tremendous talent and a great representative of the school and Duke family. It also showed that K can still get the top flight players and he is going nowhere just yet.

Jabari is one of those rare players for which his highlight reels may actually be pretty accurate representations of his day to day play.

Some new highlights

Second coming of Grant Hill??

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    His personality, skill, versatility and talent remind me a lot fo Grant. It's not my intention to stereotype players; but he does not come across to me as a KY-Cal type guy even if he appears to have the talent and ability to be a one and done player; he really sounds like a Duke-type player. I have to think Duke can favorably sell him the long line of successful SF/wing players like Grant, Shane, Luo, Kyle and Mike D.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    His personality, skill, versatility and talent remind me a lot fo Grant. It's not my intention to stereotype players; but he does not come across to me as a KY-Cal type guy even if he appears to have the talent and ability to be a one and done player; he really sounds like a Duke-type player. I have to think Duke can favorably sell him the long line of successful SF/wing players like Grant, Shane, Luo, Kyle and Mike D.
    I agree. I think he has Duke written all over him. It's almost like he's unintentionally flashy. His play is just so superb that it can't help but be flashy, but his persona is otherwise uniquely mature and business-like. Not to say the KY guys aren't mature, but Jabari has a different quality to him. It's not surprising that two of the coaches he's seriously considering are K and Izzo.

I apologize for the misspelling of Luol. I couldn't edit my earlier post; but getting back to JP, it will be interesting to see how his recruiting will go. I remember reading somewhere that he plans to decide in the fall, which goes back to his what appears to be a very humble individual. I love the fact that it looks like he will not be dragging out his recuitment to next spring.

I apologize for the misspelling of Luol. I couldn't edit my earlier post; but getting back to JP, it will be interesting to see how his recruiting will go. I remember reading somewhere that he plans to decide in the fall, which goes back to his what appears to be a very humble individual. I love the fact that it looks like he will not be dragging out his recuitment to next spring.
    From all indications, he does appear to be a good, humble kid, but I'm not sure his plans to decide in the Fall are an indication that he is good and humble. Just as a lot of these kids get too much criticism for doing things that make them look arrogant or like boneheads, I think at times they get too much credit for doing or saying things that others think make them seem like good, smart, well grounded kids.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    From all indications, he does appear to be a good, humble kid, but I'm not sure his plans to decide in the Fall are an indication that he is good and humble. Just as a lot of these kids get too much criticism for doing things that make them look arrogant or like boneheads, I think at times they get too much credit for doing or saying things that others think make them seem like good, smart, well grounded kids.
    True...But I was tryinig to contend that by JP making his college decision in the fall rather than next spring appears to show that he's not the type of person that wants drag things out or create some dramatic spot light for himself. If he holds true to what he has said, then he obviously is not worried about or looking to see who will stay or leave on any particular team; and his decision will be based on what he considers to be the best fit for him, regardless of who may or may not be at a particular school in the 2013-14 season. And this is by no means a slam or criticism of Bazz; I simply appreciated JP's willingness to make a decision sooner rather than later. Plus, it allows him to focus on enjoying all facets of his senior year by making a decision in the fall.

New Jabari Parker article from ESPN RecruitingNation (w a K reference to boot):

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...0-rare-recruit

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    New Jabari Parker article from ESPN RecruitingNation (w a K reference to boot):

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...0-rare-recruit
    He also mentions a connection with Johnny Dawkins. I would love for Parker to come to Duke but if he goes somehwere else it would be really cool to see Dawkins and Stanford get a big time recruit like Jabari (though i don't think it's very likely).

Jabari Parker yet to narrow list

Sonny said all the attention has gotten to his son.

"It's overwhelming," Sonny said. "It could be a distraction sometimes because he still has to stay in the same routine. I think the distractions sometimes can get overwhelming.

"He doesn't like a lot of attention. He's managing.

He seems like the kind of kid that wants to be a kid and not an icon or a brand. That I like... best of luck to him wherever he lands (hopefully at Duke)!

Seems to me an easy way to avoid all the nonsense on YouTube and Twitter (referring to the front page story) is to simply not go there.
    Unplugging from all that crap has its benefits.

Good for Parker and his parents for setting some limits on contact from coaches. I remember Battier did something similar - he told all of the coaches recruiting him that there were certain windows of time when they could contact him, and outside of those times he asked to have his privacy. Rick Pitino, then the coach of Kentucky, ignored this and called him during a dead period, and Shane promptly crossed them off of his list.

I can't imagine how much more overwhelming it is now with so many more forms of communication. And really, is there anything a coach can say over hundreds of text messages that would sway a kid's decision? Can't he get all the information he needs about a school during his official visit and a handful of additional conversations?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Good for Parker and his parents for setting some limits on contact from coaches. I remember Battier did something similar - he told all of the coaches recruiting him that there were certain windows of time when they could contact him, and outside of those times he asked to have his privacy. Rick Pitino, then the coach of Kentucky, ignored this and called him during a dead period, and Shane promptly crossed them off of his list.

I can't imagine how much more overwhelming it is now with so many more forms of communication. And really, is there anything a coach can say over hundreds of text messages that would sway a kid's decision? Can't he get all the information he needs about a school during his official visit and a handful of additional conversations?
    You'd think in-home visits, watching teams play, unofficial and/or official visits and maybe some other conversations via phone would be more than enough for a kid to decide once he was a Senior. Truth is, a lot of recruiting seems to be about keeping up with other schools in showing attention to the players: at best simply emphasizing that they are a priority; at worst, feeding the player's ego.

Yeah, it seems like players are drawn to a.) the first coach that shows them interest, and b.) the coach that continues to show them the most interest. This doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I'm not a 17-year old kid with the world at his beck-and-call. Parker seems to be going about it the right way though.

Parker cuts list to 10 schools, including Duke. As stated previously, he hopes to make a decision in the fall, thus ensuring the length of this thread will fall well short of the John Wall and Shabazz Muhammad recruiting threads

Did not realize this, but Parker is Mormon.

That means he may have to take his sabbatical when he's 19...

Not that it matters. Just found it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Did not realize this, but Parker is Mormon.

That means he may have to take his sabbatical when he's 19...

Not that it matters. Just found it interesting.
    Just about every article written about him discusses his Mormon faith at length. You might take a look at some of those links (including the Sports Illustrated cover story). He's talked about the possibility of his going on a mission, and he's undecided. Regardless, he'll almost certainly be one-and-done as a college basketball player.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K