Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jabari Parker To Duke!!

I didn't see a thread exclusive to him, so decided to open one up with this "news" (nothing new and earth-shattering really, but it's still good to see us listed)

ESPN.com Recruiting Nation is saying that Parker has a list of 10 schools he will be choosing from: DePaul, Duke, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, Northwestern and Ohio State

(mods: feel free to combine this into the 2013 Recruiting thread if it should be in there instead)
    Last edited by Newton_14; 12-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.

For those not already familliar with Jabari Parker, he hails from Coach K's home town of Chicago, is 6'7" and about 215 lbs. He is rated as the #1 SF in the 2013 class and, at least by some, as the #1 overall kid in his class. Apparently he's really shaped himself up physically in the last year. He's described as very athletic and a terrific scorer in many ways (especially off the dribble), with a still-developing mid-range game. Though he doesn't shy away from the low post, apparently he can still add some muscle. All of the biggies are interested in him - Duke, OSU, KA, MSU, U-Con, IL, etc. Sounds like an incredible prospect.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    For those not already familliar with Jabari Parker, he hails from Coach K's home town of Chicago, is 6'7" and about 215 lbs. He is rated as the #1 SF in the 2013 class and, at least by some, as the #1 overall kid in his class. Apparently he's really shaped himself up physically in the last year. He's described as very athletic and a terrific scorer in many ways (especially off the dribble), with a still-developing mid-range game. Though he doesn't shy away from the low post, apparently he can still add some muscle. All of the biggies are interested in him - Duke, OSU, KA, MSU, U-Con, IL, etc. Sounds like an incredible prospect.
    Thanks BDBD as I have never read up on this Parker. Good info.

That said, based on our current season so far, I have one burning question regarding J Parker, CAN THE GUY DEFEND?

Moving forward, I suggest that be question numero uno on any new recruit Duke goes after!

Yeah I have not watched to much on him yet (I like to study the next class after the first is all committed up). However I have seen people saying things like "Best prospect since Lebron James" and overall people just comparing him to James. Either way the kid seems to be a stud and I would love for him to be a Dukie!

^He's closer to 6'9 in shoes, and more like 220-225. He's more of a PF size-wise, in that he dunks off vertical very easily, etc.

Very NBA-like game already. K is more excited about him than any recruit in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    K is more excited about him than any recruit in a while.
    Perhaps since the last recruit we had named Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Perhaps since the last recruit we had named Parker?
    Ha... naw, K really thinks Jabari will be a great one, and has for a while. I know he always compares recruits to Grant Hill, as a sales tactic (Perry Ellis...), but he actually seems to believe that Jabari could have a similar impact. "Cross between Hill and Kobe Bryant" were the terms in which I was told K described him to a particular friend last season, who said he hadn't heard him "gush" like that about a player in a while.

He doesn't look to have the that level of athleticism to me, but by all accounts he has an extremely advanced overall game for his size. I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.

I just finished watching Simeon defeat Miller Grove 59-56 on ESPN3. While both Parkers were impressive, Jabari Parker was really impressive. He is great in transition, can knock down the 3-pointer, play defense inside and on the perimeter, deliver assists, help break the press and so on and so on. I was impressed to say the least! At halftime, commentator Adrian Branch stated that Jabari had Grant Hill's aproach to playing the game, Dennis Scott's shooting form and Carmelo Anthony's body. That is some high praise.
    Bob Green

Sign him up! Promise him anything that the NCAA and Coach K's conscience will allow. (Oh, well, that does limit what we can offer!). Show our game tapes, and show him that we have no real small forward (or wing) so that he can see what a big opening there is for him.

I think the most enticing thing about him is his attitude. From the things i've heard and read on him he has an extremely good head on his shoulders and is also very coachable. When you mix that with his natural size and athletic ability as well basketball skill you get a very rare type of player.

I know very little about him other than what I've read in this thread, but would bringing him in be considered "recruiting over" Mike G. and Alex Murphy? They all seem to have similar size and skill sets. He sounds awesome though.

I know very little about him other than what I've read in this thread, but would bringing him in be considered "recruiting over" Mike G. and Alex Murphy? They all seem to have similar size and skill sets. He sounds awesome though.
    As far as recruiting over current players I can't say what you would call it. When it comes to size and skill sets though he's likely to be 6'9 225 by the time he gets to college and already has a tremendous skill set. I like both Gbinije and Murphy a lot but this kids on another level.

We're also currently recruiting Shabazz Muhammed which you could bring up the same discussion about.

Jabari Parker is the #1 rated recruit in the Class of 2013. Bringing him in would not be "recruiting over" anyone, it would be recruiting!
    Bob Green

Do we really want him?

If we get Jabari to sign, we very well may be pre-season number one next year... do we want that???

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    If we get Jabari to sign, we very well may be pre-season number one next year... do we want that???
    Excellent point as always.

This kid may be really, really good. I can't take the pressure already. Why field a team that should compete for the national championship, when we can lumber along at a comfortable .500 pace?

I say, we aim for the NIT. Less pressure, tickets easier to get. Heck, maybe even a home tournament game!

Speaking of, and of your avatar -- there is a nice debate at IC right now on whether Ol' Roy has lost it, and whether their team is NIT-bound. Dance, dance, dance. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Sign him up! Promise him anything that the NCAA and Coach K's conscience will allow. (Oh, well, that does limit what we can offer!). Show our game tapes, and show him that we have no real small forward (or wing) so that he can see what a big opening there is for him.
    Just not anything Coach Cal might be willing to offer please.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Just not anything Coach Cal might be willing to offer please.
    I absolutely agree!

The biggest difference I see is that Ky is a NBA prep school and Duke is an institution that develops more in a young man than athletics especially from teachers like our head basketball coach. One blown out knee at Ky and your probably taught how to correctly ask if your customer would like fries with his order. Duke make leader's. Leaders on the court (our current challenge) and just as important, leaders in our society. That's just my take for what it's worth. I'm proud of Duke! Go Devils!

Next Play

I guess we should start plugging away at this thread now. I recall Nerlens was ranked behind Jabari when he was a part of the 2013 class. Now he's ahead of Bazz in 2012. Says a lot about Jabari with respect to his stature among these elite talents. Bazz can now pass the baton off to Jabari as the blue chip crush du jour.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I guess we should start plugging away at this thread now. I recall Nerlens was ranked behind Jabari when he was a part of the 2013 class. Now he's ahead of Bazz in 2012. Says a lot about Jabari with respect to his stature among these elite talents. Bazz can now pass the baton off to Jabari as the blue chip crush du jour.
    Yup. Jabari has always been the bigger fish to K, from what I've heard, although Bazz is a great player. I also think Jabari would fill more of a need in the 2014 team (and perhaps be a better all-around fit) than Shabazz would next year, given that we already have like 17 players competing for wing spots.